03-26-11 10:08 AM
140 1234 ...
tools
    Sounds like they polled a friend of mine who's on his 3rd iPhone 4 yet is always going on and on about how superior Apple's build quality is.
    03-18-11 07:48 AM
    I really couldn't care less where RIM ranks in. I'm BB till I die and there's just one reason for that. It's the best.
    03-18-11 08:28 AM

That's exactly it. RIM just takes too long to deploy what could get them off the hook and give them some breathing time so they can work on something to get them back where (at least I think) they belong.

Just imagine if the Playbook, S3 and Bod Touch launched Jan/2011...

Not a bad sentiment at all, it would have given them some breathing space.

By the time they come out , so many other products will be out in the marketplace with more attractive specs. Sure we CB addicts will still buy them but the people on this site only represent a very small percentage of the average joe public BB user and i fear that they will continue to leave the platform. The recent mobile ad share in the US shows RIM at 17% compared to androids 50%. If this continues, its very worrying.
    03-18-11 08:29 AM
    Only surprised by Samsung being low because they are peddling android same as htc and Motorola.

While you have a fair point about how close the bottom teir is, RIM is still last, and effectively at THE bottom.

And I hate to say it but dismissing a report like this is the exact attitude that I think has RIM in trouble. The playbook does look impressive but it no longer has a huge edge in hardware and the software is untried. It alone won't pull rim from the bottom. I think 6.1 software and hardware has promise, but they need it out now and it has to launch clean. I just don't think that will happen with a BB OS. There will be some glaring issues. Sure every platform has them. Look at the TB. But rim can't afford that now. They haven't grown a bazillion % the last few years and losing customer satisfaction and Mindshare is going to hurt them.

I like all that RIM has done with acquistions and where they seem to be going, but the time is now to stand and deliver. IPhone 5 is coming, the android army is marching. RIM can't close out 2011 on the same slide they were on in 2010.

I think many of us are sick of hearing about how things will change and all that. STFU and deliver.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The reality is this report is a big yawner. Rims financial performance is good. I honestly don't care if I'm labeled a fanboi or apologist.

I would like to have some choices on Verizon. But my s2, which I've had for a year serves m well. I have 2 iphones in the family and other than change for the sake of change there is no compelling reason to switch platforms.

Itzdatdude and John Yester like this.
    03-18-11 08:30 AM
    I really think the form factor of the BB and it's stellar kb is what keeps me and alot of others hooked in to RIM. I for one really dislike touch screens. Look at android, with all their pomp+flashyness they can't do a BB style form? And don't say droid pro 'cause that one's poor example is a bad joke. If any other (for that matter) os platform came out with the quality of the BB form and kb I'd be thinking seriously of at least sampling it. BBM is cool for sure, but not everybody's rockin' it and for friends on non BB devices you need sms anyway. While everyone complains of the lackluster BB browser who the "F" enjoys a quality browse on a 2.4" screen?
    So 'it is what it is" with RIM, for me, I shall look forward to their next offering since also for me, no other has come close to competing with them for what I need, and that's my bottom line.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    03-18-11 02:24 PM
    .but the general populace is steering to more media centered phones with "wow".
    That wow only is going to last as long as the battery does.

if some people thought long and serious about what they really need and what to accomplish, then there will not always be a frown at the end of the story.
    03-18-11 03:30 PM
    I really think the form factor of the BB and it's stellar kb is what keeps me and alot of others hooked in to RIM. I for one really dislike touch screens. Look at android, with all their pomp+flashyness they can't do a BB style form? And don't say droid pro 'cause that one's poor example is a bad joke. If any other (for that matter) os platform came out with the quality of the BB form and kb I'd be thinking seriously of at least sampling it. BBM is cool for sure, but not everybody's rockin' it and for friends on non BB devices you need sms anyway. While everyone complains of the lackluster BB browser who the "F" enjoys a quality browse on a 2.4" screen?
    So 'it is what it is" with RIM, for me, I shall look forward to their next offering since also for me, no other has come close to competing with them for what I need, and that's my bottom line.
    Very nicely put. My sentiments exactly.

03-18-11 03:36 PM
    That wow only is going to last as long as the battery does.

if some people thought long and serious about what they really need and what to accomplish, then there will not always be a frown at the end of the story.
    Exactly correct. There is a big difference between need and wants. Some people merge them others don't. Some people can stay plugged in all day long, others are out in the field where each minute of battery life may be precious.
    03-18-11 03:55 PM

I think many of us are sick of hearing about how things will change and all that. STFU and deliver.

I think they are responding faster (and better) than Palm and therefore have more room, but I'd personally rather see a quality product. If they put anything less out, they will fail. QNX is the final step for them in the next decade, so they just want to do it right out the door. If that takes them a little extra time, it seems that that is okay with them. They do have a history of proving people wrong.
    03-18-11 03:56 PM
    I agree with lots of the latest replies. People want better specs. And they're surely coming. But RIM isn't HTC and isn't going to put out a device(ThunderBolt) that has 4-6hrs of battery life at best. RIM has their priorities straight. Thing is they don't line up with everyone else's. That's when you find a different device that suits YOU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    shupor likes this.
    03-18-11 04:41 PM
    Now if it was RIM BlackBerry 0 points and then 2nd last 3249834209823508934508945209435902439832498 points THEN I'd worry, but it isn't... so what's the worry. As Crucial_Xtreme says, they have chance to turn things around. I plan to be sporting BlackBerry smartphones in 2050 provided they don't do anything so moronic they get themselves killed off.
    03-18-11 05:06 PM
    I agree with lots of the latest replies. People want better specs. And they're surely coming. But RIM isn't HTC and isn't going to put out a device(ThunderBolt) that has 4-6hrs of battery life at best. RIM has their priorities straight. Thing is they don't line up with everyone else's. That's when you find a different device that suits YOU.

RIM also isn't producing any LTE or HSPA+ devices either which drain battery faster than 3G. 3-6 hours of battery use on a 4G network is actually decent battery life.
    03-18-11 07:41 PM
    RIM also isn't producing any LTE or HSPA+ devices either which drain battery faster than 3G. 3-6 hours of battery use on a 4G network is actually decent battery life.
    I was getting 6hrs max on 3g with my Evo! HTC really has do something to improve the battery life everyone doesnt work in cubicles or in vehicles all day!With BB the only way to go is up and many of us are content with what we have until the new devices are released
    03-18-11 07:48 PM

No that's when you form cults and talk about RIM being from the 1950s and run around drinking coolaid and bathing in the fountain of life that is hardware specs and marketing BS
    03-18-11 08:02 PM
    This is surprising to... who? RIM will continue to fall, as their "niche" market shrinks even more. I was lucky enough to get a brand new Thunderbolt for free, and it absolutely blows away my Blackberry 9700. On a daily basis I was pulling the battery, or watching as my RAM continue to decrease over time. Not to mention the trackpad that barely worked in most apps (Twitter was unusable). My company has started moving everybody OFF of Blackberries, something that's surprised even me.

CX can spew all the BS he wants about how things are going to change, but QNX is going to be a poor man's WebOS. RIM is incapable of innovation or originality, and will ALWAYS be 3 steps behind every other phone maker.

All the Blackberry lovers will criticize me and cry about "4-6 hours of battery" or security (LOL, seriously? RIM is not the leader anymore, and hasn't been for quite a while), but RIM's phones are the laughing stock of the phone market.

And don't expect that to change with QNX (which is over a year away... at best).
    03-18-11 08:10 PM
    Oh noes, people on the internet are laughing at me because of my phone platform choice. How can I ever be manly again?

I love judging new, unreleased OSes based on what I know about them (nothing).
    03-18-11 08:14 PM
    I think that RIM as a company was on its high horse way too long. OS 6 should have been here a year before it launched. And I think they are scrambling to make it up now (w QNX, playbook, etc.). We live in a microwave society where technology changes constantly and building while RIM's general way of building products (taking its time to make it a solid product) won't work in this society nowadays.

Does anyone have any concrete info on whether application quality will work better on QNX?

Also, I think a signifcant reason for the low rating is the vast quantity of people who have blackberries as oposed to other smartphones.

I remember the days when I had a bold 9000 and it was exclusive. Now everyone has a berry, and tom everyone will have an iphone or droid.

Sorry to rant, but personally, I think BB by far are the best looking phones in terms of design. From the keyboards to the back case, most of them (the sprint cdma clam phone aside) all look powerful and attractice. Much more so than other phones, even the iphone. But I suppose that's subjectice..

03-19-11 01:59 AM
    J.D Power Survey ?? Seriously?? I think they go into the jungles for their survey.
    In India they rank the Tata Indica as the highest customer satisfaction car. It probably is the worst car in the modern world.
    These surveys hardly ever reflect the true picture.
    03-19-11 02:38 AM
    The battery life on my SGS is every bit as good as my Storm was, and better than my Pre. *looks at phone - off charger at 10am and it's now 4:52am and still have 52%*. That's with display at 50%, Facebook updating hourly, weather hourly, gmail pushed and hotmail and my other email at 5 minute polls.

I have no complaints about battery. Of course, I do have a backup spare I carry in my purse.

Like I did with my Pearl.

And my Curve.

And my Storm.

And my Pre.

I am not surprised by the position RIM is in. I'm sad because I want a Canadian company to succeed. But, they dug their grave and now they gotta dig their way out.
    03-19-11 03:55 AM

That's not true. Numerous people are reporting 10+ hours o the TB. That's about what I see outta my s2 with 10% of the functionality.

And this coming from a guy using his iPhone....
    03-19-11 06:39 AM
    That's not true. Numerous people are reporting 10+ hours o the TB. That's about what I see outta my s2 with 10% of the functionality.

And this coming from a guy using his iPhone....
    Numerous? Come on Engine, I'm a member at AC too. Go look at the thread, and I guarantee you the ratio is 75/25 that people are getting horrible battery life. You've seen the Thread. Not to mention people are having to turn the brightness way down just to have decent battery life, just like BMX suggested. Oh and all of the reviewers, they're just lying about the battery life eh?
    Oh and the brightness is turned all the way up on my i4 and I make it pretty much the entire work day. The TB is the first LTE device on the market. It's going to be plagued with bad battery life. That's what LTE does to a device consuming all of that bandwidth. Its just a fact of life no matter how much you try and say otherwise. Once the standard matures and Devs have more time to optimize, it will get better. But that's not the case currently.
    03-19-11 07:10 AM
    The TB has been out now for what? 2 days? Hardly enough time to give it a thorough assessment on battery life..seeing's how at this stage everyone is still constantly fiddling with it, adjusting it, playing with it etc. Not to mention it is an HTC product (who's products generally do have poor power consumption), as well as LTE.

That being said..people who spout off about ALL androids having poor battery life don't know jack. Are they worse than BB's? Generally...but wtf does a BB run? Small processors with small screens and poor resolution. Heck..the Torch is probably the worst BB as far as battery life, and that's due to the touchscreen..which is only 3.2". My HTC will get me thru a whole day easily using normal use, and it's got bigger screen and better resolution. If I do some gaming for an hour or two..obviously my battery will drain faster..but if I do the same things I did with my Torch..my battery life is pretty comparable.
    03-19-11 07:36 AM
    The TB has been out now for what? 2 days? Hardly enough time to give it a thorough assessment on battery life..seeing's how at this stage everyone is still constantly fiddling with it, adjusting it, playing with it etc. Not to mention it is an HTC product (who's products generally do have poor power consumption), as well as LTE.

That being said..people who spout off about ALL androids having poor battery life don't know jack. Are they worse than BB's? Generally...but wtf does a BB run? Small processors with small screens and poor resolution. Heck..the Torch is probably the worst BB as far as battery life, and that's due to the touchscreen..which is only 3.2". My HTC will get me thru a whole day easily using normal use, and it's got bigger screen and better resolution. If I do some gaming for an hour or two..obviously my battery will drain faster..but if I do the same things I did with my Torch..my battery life is pretty comparable.
    I'm with you that all Android devices don't have horrible battery life. As far as your first paragraph, the reviewers that have done reviews have had those phones and didn't just get them yesterday. So they're well aware of the battery life. Also don't forget about BMX who has had the device since inception and has said all along it eats the battery in no time.
    Which is understandable. It's LTE. It's going to be that way for the next little bit, but will eventually get better when chipsets get smaller, the technology matures and they can slap in bigger batteries than 1400mAh.

Edit: Engine- I got you man. No worries. DD
    03-19-11 07:49 AM
    Numerous? Come on Engine, I'm a member at AC too. Go look at the thread, and I guarantee you the ratio is 75/25 that people are getting horrible battery life. You've see the Thread. Not to mention people are having to turn the brightness way down just to have decent battery life, just like BMX suggested. Oh and all of the reviewers, they're just lying about the battery life eh?
    Oh and the brightness is turned all the way up on my i4 and I make it pretty much the entire work day. The TB is the first LTE device on the market. It's going to be plagued with bad battery life. That's what LTE does to a device consuming all of that bandwidth. Its just a fact of life no matter how much you try and say otherwise. Once the standard matures and Devs have more time to optimize, it will get better. But that's not the case currently.
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying here. But my point was that your statement that the TB gets 4-6 hours battery life AT MOST is inaccurate.
    Of course LTE and that big *** screen see gonnz drain battery life.

I would bet that the new BB's won't have the battery life they have had in the past due to the hardware.

03-19-11 07:49 AM
    I'm sorry anyone giving high satisfaction rating to ANY of the smartphones on the market are setting the bar too low.

I love my Torch, but I could pick out 10 things in a second I'd like to see improved,
    I know people with iPhones, they too could pick 10 things they would like to improve.

NO phone on the market deserves top ratings, I'm actually surprised how HIGH most of the phones Rated,
    03-19-11 07:56 AM
140 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD