I upgraded from my first BB (a Curve) to a Bold 9700 this week. When I got it home, I went to configure my BBM settings but....there was no BBM anywhere to be found. Not in any of the other folders, nothing. I looked on this site and in one of the threads someone else posted about the same thing, it was suggested to install the Desktop Manager and then install the BBM app that way.

So, I hooked my phone up to the computer, and it said my phone was not connected. I looked in the forums again. Someone suggested uninstalling and then reinstalling the software, which I did. Tried again and the phone was recognized, but then it told me I already had BBM on my phone....but it wasn't there! So, I disconnected and suddenly had an empty folder named "instant messages" on my home screen AND an error message saying, "uncaught exception: java.lang.illegalArgumentException". I now get this message every time the phone boots up after I've taken the battery out (which I did to see if rebooting would resolve the BBM issues).

I ended up going through the mobile web browser to download BBM and it successfully installed. The error message still comes on when I restart the phone though.

What the heck is going on? This is day one with my phone and I'm so frustrated! I didn't think I even had it long enough to screw anything up! And to top it off, my left convenience key doesn't work. Did I just get a lemon? This sucks.
    07-14-10 12:34 PM
    I also want to mention that sometimes when I've rebooted my email folder icons have say, a "Y" for yahoo mail, for example, but other times after I have rebooted, the "Y" icon is not there (this also happens with the icons for my other email carriers). Is this typical??
    07-14-10 12:39 PM
    By default, BBM is in the Instant Messaging folder. I know you said you looked in there, just saying is all.

Next, you must have a BlackBerry data plan to see the BBM icon. More specifically, you need the BBM service books from your provider. So, has your SIM been tied to your BBM, provisioned properly, service books sent and Host Routing Tables resent/refreshed?

After all that, check your Service Books (Options, Advanced Options, Service Book).

Did you use the Device Switch Wizard to switch from your old BB to your new BB? Have you changed your PIN number from the old BB to the new BB on the BIS webpage for your carrier?
    07-14-10 12:54 PM
    Let's take these one at a time.

1. Does your BBM work now.
    2. Pull the battery on the phone again, and when it's loaded up from the home screen hold alt, and press L G L G. Scroll down to the first line in bold, click it, and copy/paste what it says here.
    3. That's normal with the Yahoo mailboxes.
    07-14-10 12:57 PM
    BBM does work now. To address what you said though, Klotar, when I first bought the phone, the person at the store changed everything over for me, so, I didn't do any of what you mentioned. At the same time, when I first got the phone, there wasn't even an IM folder. Only after I connected to the desktop manager did I get that, and like I said, it was empty...no BBM app in there. Regardless, I don't know what the problem is/was but it is working now.

BigBadWulf, I'll try what you said shortly and will post back in an hour or so. I'm in the middle of something at work and need to finish up first

Thanks for the help.
    07-14-10 01:29 PM
    OK. Just followed your directions in #2. The first bold line is:
    E net.rim.tcp - DNSx -1

Annnd, I'm hoping you know what that means because I sure don't!
    07-14-10 02:55 PM
    Superj, you need to click that line, and give me the contents. Was that before or after the java exception? That was what I expected you to find first.
    07-14-10 03:05 PM
    I got the Java exception first. When I click the bolded line it gives me this:

Name: net.rim.tcp
    Severity: Error
    GUID: 316c1626a9ddc375
    Time: July 14, 2010 14:44:08
    DNSx -1
    07-14-10 03:19 PM
    Most likely you need to fix your APN settings in Options->Advanced Options->TCP/IP. Don't know who your carrier is, you didn't post them in your details or the thread. Here's a list that covers all:

Http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...N/TCP_settings
    07-14-10 03:40 PM
    OK. I went to that link but am not sure what I need to change or enter into my phone from the information listed.

On my phone, there are two check marks listed right now for APN settings and authentication. Both are enabled. Should that stay the same? Otherwise, it shows the username and password which are already filled in - is that what I need to change? It looks like it's the same as what it lists on the link though...WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM.

Thanks again for walking me through this.
    07-14-10 04:08 PM
    All sounds correct. Password is cingular1. I'd try one more step before returning the phone. Delete BBM, pull the battery, wait a minute, put it back in, and rerinstall BBM. Hopefully it was just a bad install the first time.
    07-14-10 05:04 PM
    Ok. I'm trying to follow your advice but I'm not sure how to delete BBM? Do I have to connect to the Desktop Manager or shouldn't I be able to do it from my phone? As it is, if I go to Options>Applications, my BBM doesn't even show in there...but it's in that folder. ??? Grr.
    07-15-10 12:52 PM
    It's in Addons here:

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    07-15-10 01:21 PM
    Ah. Ok. My bad. It is now deleted. But, I put the battery back in and the exception is still showing up when the phone is finished restarting. Should I even try to reinstall BBM now? And if I did, should I check to see if BBM is on there like it said it was the day I got the phone...even though I couldn't find it? Or....should I just take the stupid phone back to the store?
    07-15-10 01:32 PM
    At this point, I would bring it back for them to wipe and reload. They should still have the backup file from the device switch the other day. Just for peace of mind, if you've a current backup from the old phone, I'd put the file on the media card, cause you never know. Before you leave, spend 15 minutes going through your address book, browser, BBM and whatever else you use. I'd hate for you to get home, and then be
    07-15-10 01:48 PM
    You and me both! Well, thanks for trying to help me fix it anyway.
    07-15-10 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD