I downloaded the new version of BBM from APP World. After the installation, I did a battery pull and upon restart I couldn't find the App. It was showing as installed in App World and my wife was able to send me a message. I did another battery pull and now am getting a white screen and the message to "Reload Software 552"

What does this mean?

Thanks
    10-07-09 09:44 PM
    Upgrade to 230. No problems at all.
    10-07-09 09:45 PM
    Yes, I would upgrade to .230. It runs excellent.
    10-07-09 09:47 PM
    What is 230 and how does one load it?
    10-07-09 09:48 PM
    What is 230 and how does one load it?
    .230 is the newest OS 5.0

BB101 Lecture Series! Link in my sig! Lots of great information there, it is worth the time to read all the lectures and get familiar with your device and BB's in general. Will make your BB experience easier and more fun!

Happy Learning!
    10-07-09 09:54 PM
    Same here. This is my first BB and I have to say, I am getting very disappointed with this company. Do they know how to do anything right?
    10-07-09 09:58 PM
    Just loaded BBM 5.0.0.33 on my wife's Tour running 4.7.1.40 and it installed perfectly and is working fine.
    10-07-09 09:58 PM
    But its an unofficial release and people are reporting various issues. Why do I have to use a beta OS with an app issued by RIM? They shouldn't release something that causes the system to crash.

How do I get back to where I was? This all seems crazy to me. I just want to be back to where I was before attempting to load this new app.
    10-07-09 09:59 PM
    Same here. This is my first BB and I have to say, I am getting very disappointed with this company. Do they know how to do anything right?
    Obviously you have not spent very much time learning how BB's operate and how to use them. I suggest you take the time to read and research. You can start with the BB101 Lecture Series. Lots of great information there which will make you more knowledgeable with BB's. Read all the How Tos/Tips threads along with 9630 specific threads to get yourself more familiar with your device.

If you dont want to learn about how to operate these great devices than there is always a dumphone or an iToy which even a 5 year old can use.

Honestly, put the time and effort in and you will love it. Its not just a phone!

But its an unofficial release and people are reporting various issues. Why do I have to use a beta OS with an app issued by RIM? They shouldn't release something that causes the system to crash.

How do I get back to where I was? This all seems crazy to me. I just want to be back to where I was before attempting to load this new app.
    Yeah it is a beta and there are a few bugs, however it is a great OS and is gonna get better. We were all just suggesting since you have to reload your OS anyways to go with .230. Something went wrong with your install that caused the "crash". Plenty of us have loaded the new BBM5 with zero problems and issues, including myself.

If you want to stick with an official OS then download the stock OS and load that. Nothing crazy about it. You just need to take some time to learn your device and how BB's work/operate.
    Last edited by jgutie6634; 10-07-09 at 10:13 PM.
    10-07-09 10:10 PM
    Obviously you have not spent very much time learning how BB's operate and how to use them. I suggest you take the time to read and research. You can start with the BB101 Lecture Series. Lots of great information there which will make you more knowledgeable with BB's. Read all the How Tos/Tips threads along with 9630 specific threads to get yourself more familiar with your device.

If you dont want to learn about how to operate these great devices than there is always a dumphone or an iToy which even a 5 year old can use.

Honestly, put the time and effort in and you will love it. Its not just a phone!

Yeah it is a beta and there are a few bugs, however it is a great OS and is gonna get better. We were all just suggesting since you have to reload your OS anyways to go with .230. Something went wrong with your install that caused the "crash". Plenty of us have loaded the new BBM5 with zero problems and issues, including myself.

If you want to stick with an official OS then download the stock OS and load that. Nothing crazy about it. You just need to take some time to learn your device and how BB's work/operate.
    All valid points to a certain degree. However, it is a major fail on the part of RIM to release "Official" app that is crashing OS versions which are also "official".
    10-07-09 10:15 PM
    I'm glad there are folks who have an intimate understanding of the Blackberry environment. However, it is sold as a smartphone and shouldn't require an education in recovering from system crashes after installing an application from RIM.

I presume you are referring to the Lecture on recovering from a nuked OS, which appears to have been written several years ago. We are now working with the DM and its not clear the Lecture takes that into account.

You say I should install the beta OS but, again, you assume everyone knows how to go about doing it (i.e. where to get it, how to get it, how to get it onto the device, what happens to the applications that were on the device, what about the data that was on the device, etc.)

RIM has made a concerted effort to bring its devices to the average person. They shouldn't assume every user is technically savvy.

I still have no idea how to proceed with fixing this problem.
    10-07-09 10:17 PM
    That is effing BS. I downloaded an official effing program on an official effing OS and now I have to spend the rest of my night learning this bs just ot make my phone work.
    10-07-09 10:17 PM
    Agree with the complainers. It should work on the official OS.

5.0.0.230 is very solid but the bluetooth implementation for A2DP streaming music is atrocious. It doesn't work as well as 4.7.X builds. But, battery life is so much better than I can live with the bluetooth problems.
    10-07-09 10:21 PM
    At least you appear to know how to go about learning what to do!

I have my DM in my office. I presume that tomorrow when I sync the device, I will be able to get back to where I was, no?

Maybe I should stop at Verizon and start over with a new Tour?
    10-07-09 10:22 PM
    At least you appear to know how to go about learning what to do!

I have my DM in my office. I presume that tomorrow when I sync the device, I will be able to get back to where I was, no?

Maybe I should stop at Verizon and start over with a new Tour?
    That's what I'd do. Unless you have a couple hours to kill messing with your phone.
    10-07-09 10:28 PM
    Error "App Error 552" or "Reload software 552" is displayed on the BlackBerry smartphone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doc ID : KB18751
    Last Modified : 09-01-2009
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
    BlackBerry smartphones

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview
    The process of upgrading the BlackBerry Device Software fails and the BlackBerry smartphone displays a white screen with one of the following errors:

App Error 522

Reload software 552

Cause
    An application was not indexed correctly and resulted in a failure to properly initialize the applications. The Application Loader feature of the BlackBerry Desktop Software should be used to remove any newly installed applications that may have contributed to this state.

Resolution
    Complete the following steps to resolve this issue:

Verify that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and the current BlackBerry Device Software (for your BlackBerry smartphone) is installed on the computer.
    Remove the battery from the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer. Do not insert the battery.
    Click Application Loader.
    Under the Update Software heading, click Start.
    Click Options. This allows you to add or remove applications from the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Select the applications that you want to install.
    Click Next.
    Click Next.
    Click Finish.
    Once the application load process starts, insert the battery into the BlackBerry smartphone.
    10-07-09 10:28 PM
    Yup, this will be my first step as soon as I get home...I'm at work for 10 hours with no phone right now because of the Messenger download *sob*
    In fairness to the complainers, it IS frustrating that something as straightforward as this should cause fatal errors when working with "official" releases. I had verizon "official" OS and downloaded RIM's "official" messenger upgrade and bricked my phone.
    The number of people having the same experience does seem to be rather high for "official" programs.
    10-08-09 04:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD