Simple question: What is the best way to manage/edit contacts on my computer and sync back to BB if I don't have Outlook?

History & Detailed problem: I originally had my Blackberry set up on BES at my (former) employer, and all contacts were synced with Outlook. All was good.

Then I left the company, and wasn't able to use my personal BB at the new job, so I converted to a BIS plan. Enter Gmail plug-in. The plug-in did its "activation" and now I have duplicate contacts in my contacts list. I also have 2 (two) contacts "lists" in the options menu - "Employer" and "name@gmail".

I disabled wireless sync with gmail because several fields don't match up (addresses are changed to one line, birthdays & anniversaries are lost, webpages are lost, and contact pictures keep getting deleted every time it syncs). Now I also don't know what to do with these two contact lists. If I restore from a backup, each contact is still listed as 'synchronize with "Employer"' even though I'm no longer on BES. (Several OS updates/wipes/restores has gotten rid of all traces of BES & "Employer" except in the contacts.) I don't have Outlook on my personal computer and, MS bashing aside, at least all the contact fields lined up between the two.

So back to original question; what's the best way to manage my contacts? Going through the duplicate entries on my phone, adding missing info and deleted the "Employer" entry (so I only have a "gmail" list) is rather tedious on the phone itself. Is there a good program that I can dump the address book to, edit as needed, and reload back onto the phone? or any way to edit directly on the BB from my PC? Tried Outlook express and it sucks (fields don't line up either).
    Last edited by LoSt180; 04-08-10 at 01:52 PM.
    04-08-10 01:50 PM
    I have tried to use Google Sync for contact syncing and had the same issues. If you're willing to get a yahoo e-mail account, you can sync (not wirelessly) your contacts in Yahoo through the bberry desktop manager. You'll have to do a little field mapping to get everything to go to the right places, but you won't end up with duplicates. I also ended up with duplicates when I tried to sync the gmail calendar.
    I will be checking to see if somebody has a different answer, because once gmail syncs wirelessly with my bberry, I will use it rather than yahoo. E-mails from gmail look way better on the bberry better than e-mail from yahoo, especially photos.
    Hope this helps.
    04-08-10 02:42 PM
    Simple question: What is the best way to manage/edit contacts on my computer and sync back to BB if I don't have Outlook?

History & Detailed problem: I originally had my Blackberry set up on BES at my (former) employer, and all contacts were synced with Outlook. All was good.

Then I left the company, and wasn't able to use my personal BB at the new job, so I converted to a BIS plan. Enter Gmail plug-in. The plug-in did its "activation" and now I have duplicate contacts in my contacts list. I also have 2 (two) contacts "lists" in the options menu - "Employer" and "name@gmail".

I disabled wireless sync with gmail because several fields don't match up (addresses are changed to one line, birthdays & anniversaries are lost, webpages are lost, and contact pictures keep getting deleted every time it syncs). Now I also don't know what to do with these two contact lists. If I restore from a backup, each contact is still listed as 'synchronize with "Employer"' even though I'm no longer on BES. (Several OS updates/wipes/restores has gotten rid of all traces of BES & "Employer" except in the contacts.) I don't have Outlook on my personal computer and, MS bashing aside, at least all the contact fields lined up between the two.

So back to original question; what's the best way to manage my contacts? Going through the duplicate entries on my phone, adding missing info and deleted the "Employer" entry (so I only have a "gmail" list) is rather tedious on the phone itself. Is there a good program that I can dump the address book to, edit as needed, and reload back onto the phone? or any way to edit directly on the BB from my PC? Tried Outlook express and it sucks (fields don't line up either).
    I don't have the gmail plug in, just have my gmail configured like the other email addresses so I can only offer advice on my configuration.

Try this: Log into your gmail account, go to Contacts. Whatever is synced from your BB should be in a folder named "My Contacts". Select all, then create a new folder. Name it Edit folder then move the contacts into this folder. Then let gmail "check for duplicates" so you can clean them up. Also go ahead and edit contacts in this new folder if you want. When finished, select all and move them back to My Contacts folder.
    I just downloaded and ran Google Sync yesterday. I have @ 350 contacts, most of them have a pic (I'm just funny that way). When syncing contacts there is a message stating what will be uploaded. Sadly for me contact pictures are not uploaded.
    Let us know if this helps.
    04-08-10 03:00 PM
    Another option, is there a way to dump the contacts directly off the phone into a CSV file? Then is there an import feature? That way I don't have to worry about field mappings between programs.

Also, looks like Verizon just pushed Backup Assistant to my phone, may be in luck, if it works.

Also, I just noticed that a lot of the contacts from my former company have an email address that looks like this: "/o=acme/ou=Site09/cn=Recipients/cn=RD######" instead of "name@acme.com"

What's with that?
    Last edited by LoSt180; 04-09-10 at 09:51 AM.
    04-09-10 09:47 AM
    I figured out how to dump contacts off phone into a CSV file using DM. In the synchronization settings, set contacts to sync with ASCII editor file.

Only problem is the file only includes contacts from the "Gmail" list. It didn't import the "ACME" list. So now I'm going through the file to find what's missing between the lists.

Do you think now if I clear the Address Book (via advanced backup/restore) and then sync off this new file I would only have one contacts list (gmail)?
    04-12-10 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD