I freely admit that I am a n00b. Can someone please explain to me how BBM is different / superior to SMS? From what I have see in using them for the past two months, I'm not seeing such a great difference between the two. What am I missing?
    01-05-10 09:57 PM
    in most cases BBM is faster, also the threaded display made it unique before the 5.0 OS featured threaded SMS
    01-05-10 10:10 PM
    you also get the added bonus of the delivery confirmation and read confirmation and bbm uses data so you dont need a texting plan to use it..
    01-05-10 10:17 PM
    Another advantage of BBM is that you can chat with folks in other countries free of charge from your own country. I have some friends outside the US who have BlackBerrys. It would be expensive to send SMS to them, but when I use BBM there are no charges to chat with them.
    01-05-10 10:48 PM
    good points guys
    01-05-10 10:49 PM
    And the length of a BBM message isn't limited (or if it is limited, then the length is very long).

Plus the ability to send pictures and other files via BBM.
    01-05-10 10:49 PM
    The main advantage is as previously mentioned is the fact that BBM runs through your carriers Data Pkg, therefore saving you money on a sms package. as far as SMS goes, it runs through your carriers Voice service (either GSM or CDMA) and your limited to 162 Characters
    01-05-10 10:54 PM
    So threaded messages is not a plus anymore since 5.0 allows this in sms

Cant really say using data is a plus because I have lots of friends that are not on bb in fact of the 30 or so people I text only two have bb

If you're texting someone on your own carrier then you get delivery confirmation so bbm only offers limited benefit here

So other than real time messages what other benefits are there for bbm over sms

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 02:29 PM
    BBM tends to be faster in many cases, since it uses RIM's servers, not the carrier's voice service. I've had a few cases where SMS did not arrive until the next day. BBM usually does not have delays.
    01-24-10 02:39 PM
    And the length of a BBM message isn't limited (or if it is limited, then the length is very long).

Plus the ability to send pictures and other files via BBM.
    There is a limit... its very large, maybe 4 times bigger then the SMS 160 characters... plus u get to add flags in bbm!
    01-24-10 02:42 PM
    So threaded messages is not a plus anymore since 5.0 allows this in sms

Cant really say using data is a plus because I have lots of friends that are not on bb in fact of the 30 or so people I text only two have bb

If you're texting someone on your own carrier then you get delivery confirmation so bbm only offers limited benefit here

So other than real time messages what other benefits are there for bbm over sms

well because ur vzw, u cant even string multiple sms together... so being able to send pics/voice notes and texts through bbm without any real limits is always a plus for anyone.

and there is a way to get delivery confirmation with sms... but if ur phone doesnt get the confirmation... u send the sms again... and they get pissed...
    01-24-10 02:43 PM
    There is a limit... its very large, maybe 4 times bigger then the SMS 160 characters... plus u get to add flags in bbm!
    Well, if there's a limit, it's much, much more than that.

I just sent a BBM that was 1633 characters including spaces.
    01-24-10 03:21 PM
    BBM is free with your data plan. SMS is not unless you add a text message package (at least on AT&T). I don't want to pay another added fee so I use BBM for friends with a Blackberry and Yahoo Messenger for those who use iPhones. The rest with normal phones text me every so often but not enough for me to pay the extra $ for a text plan.

01-24-10 04:30 PM
    About the free BBM vs paid SMS ... that is only a plus if a majority of your friends that you message actually HAVE a BB ... if not, then you obivously cant BBM them.
    So you still obviously need a text package.
    01-24-10 04:41 PM
    o and u can have groups in bbm... not so much in sms

thanks mama for the update.... love the numbers!
    01-24-10 04:42 PM
    If you have a data plan it is free. Who wouldn't have a data plan on a Blackberry? I know this has been beaten to death but most people have a data plan.

01-24-10 05:53 PM
    If you have a data plan it is free. Who wouldn't have a data plan on a Blackberry? I know this has been beaten to death but most people have a data plan.

And now carriers are forcing it... so if u have a bb with data.. and u wanna better way to text to other bbs use BBM!
    01-24-10 05:55 PM
    BBM isn't free. It costs $30/month while SMS is much cheaper.
    You get A LOT more than just BBM for $30. Tons of apps (almost all use data), surf the web, etc.
    01-24-10 06:24 PM
    You actually do not need a text plan if your using google voice. Google voice allows sms texting free thru data.

01-24-10 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD