• BBM

100 84.03%
  • iMessage

19 15.97%
10-25-11 02:35 PM
83 1234
tools
    ChatoN Can compete though.

Even though I hardly use any communication app. One reason why I don't go on facebook but twitter..
    10-24-11 07:53 AM
    I think the poll also needed a... "I haven't used iMessage / BBM before", since nearly every comment on here is from BB users who have never used iMessage and doesn't even know what it does / how it works...

from what i hear of the iMessage
    Nah, I like my sms in my sms inbox and bbm in my bbm inbox. They both have their place and I like them separate.

Imessage already sounds complicated, have to use sms, email addresses, different devices etc, my Pin is personal(mine even has my initials in it), and bbms only go to one device.
    This is key - you don't have to do a damn thing. The people you were already texting, you will automatically iMessage them next time. They will receive it just like a text. The people you were SMS'ing, you will automatically iMessage them next time. They will open the same app and the text will just show up there like normal (different colors, iMessage in the input box instead of Text Message, etc... you can identify the two from each other easily). You can resume the conversation from your tablet if you don't have your smartphone with you (and vice versa). There are settings of course to enable / disable some features, but it couldn't be easier to use or understand.
    Last edited by rdkempt; 10-24-11 at 08:21 AM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-24-11 08:18 AM
    I think the poll also needed a... "I haven't used iMessage / BBM before", since nearly every comment on here is from BB users who have never used iMessage and doesn't even know what it does / how it works...

This is key - you don't have to do a damn thing. The people you were already texting, you will automatically iMessage them next time. They will receive it just like a text. The people you were SMS'ing, you will automatically iMessage them next time. They will open the same app and the text will just show up there like normal (different colors, iMessage in the input box instead of Text Message, etc... you can identify the two from each other easily). You can resume the conversation from your tablet if you don't have your smartphone with you (and vice versa). There are settings of course to enable / disable some features, but it couldn't be easier to use or understand.
    That's assuming you don't imessage any international contacts as then the risk of sending accidental sms and incuring charges would be too big. So you would have to have the setting to send as sms turned off. Or you can use emails. Sounds complicated to me, BBM is BBM, simple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-11 08:46 AM
    I think both BBM and iMessage have their plus points. The problem is that it doesn't matter how good BBM is if no one you want to message uses it. I found that of the few friends I had with BBs, most didn't want to or didn't know how to use BBM. More importantly the person I message most (my wife) has an iPhone. That makes iMessage much better for me.

iMessage was one of the main reasons I switched to an iPhone from a BB. The others were iCloud, Exchange Active Sync and the lack of a 9900 on AT&T.
    10-24-11 09:57 AM
    Nah, I like my sms in my sms inbox and bbm in my bbm inbox. They both have their place and I like them separate.

Imessage already sounds complicated, have to use sms, email addresses, different devices etc, my Pin is personal(mine even has my initials in it), and bbms only go to one device.

Complicated? There is nothing complicated about it. It is one setting you log into, that is all.

If you find that complicated, but are able to memorize all the BB shortcuts, turn on bass boosting in the sounds options, set certain permissions, and figure out wether you have opted into certain RIM settings, this will come much easier.

It is one setting. Settings- iMessage. Done. If you find that complicated you should not be using a smartphone period.
    10-24-11 10:15 AM
    I'm sick of PINs and inviting. Don't mind giving out my number because I'm not a teeny bopper giving random at a party my #. I talk to friends and family. People I know. Like real life.

IMessage automatically detects which of my contacts also have iMessage. If the network is down it sends as SMS automatically (or you disable this feature as I did on my moms phone)Can send iMessage to multiple contacts.

I have never had to block anyone. What the heck are you guys doing? Posting your PINs to make friends? Um, ok. I have enough friends in real life.

BBM doesn't do either.

Don't Care about social networking on BBM, sharing music or seeing statues. I don't use my phone as a toy. No interest I being part of chat rooms either. This isn't the 90s and I'm not 14. Ha.

BBM is fine. I don't care about the social networking part of it. I just wish BBM didn't require a PIN, and could auto detect.
    Before I put you on my blocked list can I ask why you spend so much of your life spreading Iphone love in a Blackberry forum? I don't really care what you choose to do with your life but I just don't get it!! Do you not have anything better to do?
    danimalchil likes this.
    10-24-11 10:29 AM
    iMessage works on Apple ID, not your phone number. This approach might be better than BBM, since BBM is tied to your device, not the person. What happens if you want to BBM from multiple BB's? With iMessage you just need one email address and you can do it from many devices without worrying about PIN's etc.

BBM is 80's technology with the PIN, and maybe it'll change with BBX.

Imagine when you sell your BB, and have to tell everybody not to send to "that" PIN anymore, because you have a new phone and PIN.
    10-24-11 10:42 AM
    iMessage works on Apple ID, not your phone number. This approach might be better than BBM, since BBM is tied to your device, not the person. What happens if you want to BBM from multiple BB's? With iMessage you just need one email address and you can do it from many devices without worrying about PIN's etc.

BBM is 80's technology with the PIN, and maybe it'll change with BBX.

Imagine when you sell your BB, and have to tell everybody not to send to "that" PIN anymore, because you have a new phone and PIN.
    You don't have to tell anybody your new pin, when you restore your bbm contacts from a backup to your new device your new pin will be changed in your friends bbm too, they will never notice you're on a new device.

10-24-11 10:47 AM
    Complicated? There is nothing complicated about it. It is one setting you log into, that is all.

If you find that complicated, but are able to memorize all the BB shortcuts, turn on bass boosting in the sounds options, set certain permissions, and figure out wether you have opted into certain RIM settings, this will come much easier.

It is one setting. Settings- iMessage. Done. If you find that complicated you should not be using a smartphone period.
    Lol, maybe you never noticed but all the BB shortcuts letters are underlined.

10-24-11 10:50 AM
    Lol, maybe you never noticed but all the BB shortcuts letters are underlined.

So you totally disregard what I said about the other settings that I know you have fiddled with (because you have posted screenshots of them).

This is iOS we are talking about here bel...Changing settings is not complicated. It is not complicated one bit.
    10-24-11 11:00 AM
    LOL. Belfast... those platform evangelist jobs were made for you. For real. I think you'd be perfect!
    10-24-11 11:43 AM
    Before I put you on my blocked list can I ask why you spend so much of your life spreading Iphone love in a Blackberry forum? I don't really care what you choose to do with your life but I just don't get it!! Do you not have anything better to do?
    I think if you read all her posts with a non-critical eye, you'll see she is fairly open-minded. If anything, she is looking for an opportunity to pick BB over other platforms.

I, for one, respect folks who don't allow brand loyalty skew their appreciation of technology.
    10-24-11 11:55 AM
    LOL. Belfast... those platform evangelist jobs were made for you. For real. I think you'd be perfect!
    Yeah except I don't go to other platforms forums, I stick to the forum for the platform I like. Unlike many other people on Crackberry. So I suppose I'm only preaching to the converted. What's your excuse?

10-24-11 11:57 AM
    Good point on giving out info. One reason celebrities and people that just want to have more privacy and control is that with BBM you accept or approve anyone that can reach you that way. Regardless of weather they get your number or not.
    Everyone in your BBM is someone that you approved being there and you don't have to worry about solicitors or junk.
    I agree the groups feature is nice. I enjoy using BBM but the apple product is much improved. I think both or actually all platforms are converging. Although some have advantages over others they are all closing the gap and that is good for consumers.

What I like about BlackBerry and this is consistent with the BBM feature is that it is still the most customizable device out there and I can fine tune it to my needs.
    10-24-11 12:02 PM
    So you totally disregard what I said about the other settings that I know you have fiddled with (because you have posted screenshots of them).

This is iOS we are talking about here bel...Changing settings is not complicated. It is not complicated one bit.
    I'm a firm beleiver on knowing your phone, many people get on blackberry platform and leave before they even learn the basics.

I didn't mean imessage is complicated to set, it's complicated in the sense that you don't really know what way it works. Most people will use it with their mobile number not email and it will result in sms and worse, mms charges.

By the way, what happens when you try to imessage a contact that has the sms feature off and there's a problem with the network? Will imessage keep trying to send the message or does it just fail?

10-24-11 12:02 PM
    By the way, what happens when you try to imessage a contact that has the sms feature off and there's a problem with the network? Will imessage keep trying to send the message or does it just fail?

It gets sent, and the contact will receive it when they have a better data connection. If it fails for some reason on your end (like you having a bad data connection) it will let you know and you can try to resend it when you have a better connection.

And I agree, most will use it will their mobile number, but data conscious people will check for better options, and that is why those options within iMessage exist.

IMO anyone really that worried about data will check the settings. Also anyone in the business environment will have to add an email if they plan on communicating with people with iPads. This way if people stick to iMessage with email, everything is synced no matter what iOS device you are on that has your Apple ID.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-24-11 at 12:10 PM.
    10-24-11 12:06 PM
    Yeah except I don't go to other platforms forums, I stick to the forum for the platform I like. Unlike many other people on Crackberry. So I suppose I'm only preaching to the converted. What's your excuse?

Your BB-centric rage allowed that to go over your head. Calm down (if you can). I was referring to a serious opening that you'd be perfect for: Have what it takes to be a BlackBerry Developer Evangelist? Apply to RIM | CrackBerry.com

I know that for a few forumites, the mere thought of someone using another platform -- and using it well -- is an excruciating experience difficult to quantitfy. When that pain also begins to cloud one's perception to the point that they cannot even decipher compliments, it becomes scary.

Hey, to each his own. As the owner of TWO active BB devices, I can only watch and observe.
    10-24-11 12:06 PM
    You don't have to tell anybody your new pin, when you restore your bbm contacts from a backup to your new device your new pin will be changed in your friends bbm too, they will never notice you're on a new device.

True, however with iMessage you can send and receive messages on multiple devices provided you use the apple id rather than phone number.
    10-24-11 02:09 PM
    True, however with iMessage you can send and receive messages on multiple devices provided you use the apple id rather than phone number.
    1. That assumes you have icloud sync on at all times and from what I read everybody seems to turn it off to save battery life
    2. Privacy concerns, somebody could be ears dropping on your conversations
    3. What happens if you have a group conversation with mixed imessage contacts, some using apple ID, some using email, some sms and then you continue conversation on a different device that can't send or receive sms in case of problems with the network(outof reach etc) on your device or the other contact's?

10-24-11 02:18 PM
    Your BB-centric rage allowed that to go over your head. Calm down (if you can). I was referring to a serious opening that you'd be perfect for: Have what it takes to be a BlackBerry Developer Evangelist? Apply to RIM | CrackBerry.com

I know that for a few forumites, the mere thought of someone using another platform -- and using it well -- is an excruciating experience difficult to quantitfy. When that pain also begins to cloud one's perception to the point that they cannot even decipher compliments, it becomes scary.

Hey, to each his own. As the owner of TWO active BB devices, I can only watch and observe.
    How about you just stay on topic and leave personal stuff out of it?

10-24-11 02:19 PM
    It gets sent, and the contact will receive it when they have a better data connection. If it fails for some reason on your end (like you having a bad data connection) it will let you know and you can try to resend it when you have a better connection.

And I agree, most will use it will their mobile number, but data conscious people will check for better options, and that is why those options within iMessage exist.

IMO anyone really that worried about data will check the settings. Also anyone in the business environment will have to add an email if they plan on communicating with people with iPads. This way if people stick to iMessage with email, everything is synced no matter what iOS device you are on that has your Apple ID.
    You're explaining stuff to someone touting privacy that has his PIN posted for public consumption. Blocking people is going to be a BIG part of his foreseeable future.
    10-24-11 02:29 PM
    You're explaining stuff to someone touting privacy that has his PIN posted for public consumption. Blocking people is going to be a BIG part of his foreseeable future.
    lol. Yep, and I can now see where this is going with his most recent post. I am going to remove myself from this conversation now. I don't feel like going round in circles. It is all too common.

Enjoy the rest of the thread for those who are going to continue with it
    10-24-11 02:34 PM

I made a few good friends because I have my PIN up there, if I do have do block somebody it couldn't be easier.
    10-24-11 02:59 PM
    I'm sick of PINs and inviting. Don't mind giving out my number because I'm not a teeny bopper giving random at a party my #. I talk to friends and family. People I know. Like real life.

IMessage automatically detects which of my contacts also have iMessage. If the network is down it sends as SMS automatically (or you disable this feature as I did on my moms phone)Can send iMessage to multiple contacts.

I have never had to block anyone. What the heck are you guys doing? Posting your PINs to make friends? Um, ok. I have enough friends in real life.

BBM doesn't do either.

Don't Care about social networking on BBM, sharing music or seeing statues. I don't use my phone as a toy. No interest I being part of chat rooms either. This isn't the 90s and I'm not 14. Ha.

BBM is fine. I don't care about the social networking part of it. I just wish BBM didn't require a PIN, and could auto detect.
    Pretty big rant on BBM and PINs when your 'PIN' says "LiveProfile" ... If I remember correctly, that app uses PINs
    10-24-11 03:45 PM
    Pretty big rant on BBM and PINs when your 'PIN' says "LiveProfile" ... If I remember correctly, that app uses PINs
    Yes it does use PINs. Which, as I stated, I am sick of. I wish Android had similar to iMessage. I said that in previous posts.

I have 4 people on my LP. My mom, my brother, my cousin and a real life friend.

No one else. I don't advertise my PIN. I state LP because the app is good and I'm promoting it. Would I like it way better if it used my number, and not a PIN? YES. I hate that I have to use yet another PIN.

You're trying to call me out on something that doesn't relate to me. Since I'm not a blind fan boy, I am free to say when I like something on another platform more than the platform I'm currently using.

There is nothing like iMessage on Android that I know of. That sucks!
    10-24-11 03:57 PM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD