119. You may not vote on this poll
  • BBM

100 84.03%
  • iMessage

19 15.97%
10-25-11 02:35 PM
83 1234
tools
    I like now that it's all under messages. I don't necessary like or need separate Icons for everything.
    Oh, yes! I am at that stage in life where I am very happy to let someone else make things easy for me
    10-23-11 12:51 PM
    Oh, yes! I am at that stage in life where I am very happy to let someone else make things easy for me
    Not sure if that's sarcasm. I can never tell when people use that. Lol. But, for me, I agree. The older i get the more I want my life simple and quiet and peaceful.
    ADGrant likes this.
    10-23-11 12:53 PM
    I picked up a few BBM contacts from Crackberry and I enjoy the ocasional chat and joke. Whould people be as quick to share their email address or phone number instead of pins? I don't think so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-11 01:08 PM
    Yeah! Not having features is great!

Remember when the iPhone didn't have copy and paste or the ability to send a picture message? Revolutionary

Just look at Siri's inability to read emails -- pure genius. If it had that "feature" like Vlingo, it would be total garbage.
    Why are you rehashing details on the debut device from a company that had never made a phone or mobile OS before, from 4 years ago? Or a single feature in a technology again aimed at the somewhat risky goal of changing user interaction with their phone? Not everything could be pushed out at launch.

Remember what dumbphones and even smartphones were like then? That is also what Apple promoted that the customer could reasonably expect bug fixes and feature updates on a somewhat timely basis. This wasn't mobile industry practice it was computer industry practice. To me, it's huge and IMO is still only done well by Apple because they have deliberately cut out carrier interference as much as possible. Therefore I fully expect Siri to improve in upcoming updates. WP7 didn't have cut and paste either at debut and that was actually ok by me. Microsoft has its share of issues in the mobile arena but I do think they are taking the time to craft a nice bit of kit. Quality by design.

FWIW, that's why I would also prefer that RIM not jump so fast to announce, announce, announce features. Follow the 70:30 rule of planning to action and they won't get the rep of always missing deadlines.
    10-23-11 01:09 PM
    Not sure if that's sarcasm. I can never tell when people use that. Lol. But, for me, I agree. The older i get the more I want my life simple and quiet and peaceful.
    Not sarcasm at all. I was being absolutely serious. There's just too much other major stuff to deal with, isn't there?
    Chrisy and ADGrant like this.
    10-23-11 01:12 PM
    I don't see why anyone would create a "BBM Clone" (for lack of a better term) nowadays that's tied to one platform. Maybe a few years ago it would've been cool but not anymore IMO.

I use WhatsApp and GTalk and I don't worry about what smartphone the other person has, it works on BB, iPhone & Android. And so do many others. For general messaging, sending pics & videos they're fine. Some apps are closer to BBM functionality like WhatsApp, but most of them are good enough considering they're platform agnostic.

While companies would like nothing more than to hook you on their proprietary tech, I think it's going the way of the dinosaur with consumers.
    10-23-11 01:27 PM
    I picked up a few BBM contacts from Crackberry and I enjoy the ocasional chat and joke. Whould people be as quick to share their email address or phone number instead of pins? I don't think so.

You can register multiple email adresses for iMessage. So you can give all the people you can care less about a bogus one that can be removed from your iMessage accounts.

I have no problem sharing email adresses. It's not like you are locked down to one. I shared my email with BB users all the time when I used a BB. I have over 5 emails adresses and can make more if I please. It is a non issue.
    10-23-11 01:49 PM
    It's really great to debate the merits of BBM vs iMessage, but I think it's a classic no win. There's good and bad to both and a person's personal preferences will decide what they choose. What I about iMessage is that it is easy and seamless. However, the opposite is also what I like about BBM-that it's exclusive and excludable.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-23-11 02:00 PM
    I don't see why anyone would create a "BBM Clone" (for lack of a better term) nowadays that's tied to one platform. Maybe a few years ago it would've been cool but not anymore IMO.

I use WhatsApp and GTalk and I don't worry about what smartphone the other person has, it works on BB, iPhone & Android. And so do many others. For general messaging, sending pics & videos they're fine. Some apps are closer to BBM functionality like WhatsApp, but most of them are good enough considering they're platform agnostic.

While companies would like nothing more than to hook you on their proprietary tech, I think it's going the way of the dinosaur with consumers.
    Agreed. Whatsapp to me is the perfect messaging tool. Cross platform, it lets me know when my message has been sent and received, allows video, pics, and voice notes, as well as group chat. It works the similiar to iMessage in the fact that no pins are needed, you just need the contacts phone number (and if they have Whatsapp downloaded and are already in your contacts, they're automatically in your system..no need to add them)

And for those worried about someone having your phone number, it's easy enough to set them up to ring straight to voicemail if you don't actually want to talk to them
    10-23-11 04:56 PM

Don't forget there's an entire dating scene over bbm, websites dedicated to sharing pins. For such people BBM is ideal.

Have you seen cupidtino.com? bhahaha you can find your perfect apple fanboy or fangirl on that site
    10-23-11 07:44 PM
    iMessage on my first generation iPad is horrible. I have it turned off, since it's useless.
    I think it would be beneficial on the iPhone, that's always connected but on a device that just runs on WiFi, no thank you.
    10-23-11 07:50 PM
    The downside to BBM is that it's BlackBerry only. When I first got my BlackBerry I only BBM'd with one person, who got an Android a few months later. In some places this might be different, but where I'm from, seeing a BlackBerry is very rare.

BBM also uses PINs, which I think pointless. You already have a specific phone number that identifies your phone, so why would you need another number? It's a waste of time.

iMessage lacks a lot in functionality, there's no doubt about that, but ease of use is what puts iMessage miles ahead of BBM. When you type a message it detects if it's being sent to an iPhone, or any other phone. If it's an iPhone then iMessage, if not it's just sent as a normal SMS.

I had a BlackBerry for about a year and a half and rarely got any use out of BBM, while in the past week since getting an iPhone I've taken advantage of iMessage multiple times as my friends started updating to iOS5.

For the average consumer it basically all comes down to who your friends are. If all of your friends use iPhones like me, then you'll get use of iMessage. If your friends still use BlackBerries, then you'll get more use out of BBM.
    10-23-11 07:52 PM
    Fascinating thread. When the iPhone has more advanced features that BB that means the Iphone is miles ahead. When BB has more advanced features that the Iphone then the Iphone is miles ahead because it lacks those advanced features.

This forum really needs a rolling on the floor laughing smiley.

My BB automatically detects that another blackberry user has sent me a BBM.

Tre Lawrence and recompile like this.
    10-23-11 08:48 PM
    iMessage - I would never put myself in the described scenarios above of giving out my number to people I don't want to have my number first of all...

However, I do like the fact that it's automatic to all of my contacts - I just message people like I used to, if I have data available it sends an iMessage, if not, it sends a text... all my iMessages, texts, etc... are all on the same conversation with the same person. No silly PIN to send around, the person can choose to iMessage or text me back, or FaceTime me, etc... It works really, really well.
    What I fear about iMessage is I'm promoting people to send me SMS

if a "friend" has an iPhone, and heaven forbid I had one as well, and they are used to sending me SMS, and I switch phones, I continue to receive SMS, when traveling in the US currently I have 3 contacts whom I must text to say ONLY text in an emergency as the incoming texting fee is through the roof, but an ALWAYS data communications tool can be used over wifi which is increasingly available, as well as data costs are considerably lower than SMS costs.

This is another one of those services that is geared toward the American who has unlimited texting packages, which are the biggest ripoff if you consider the amount of data being sent via a text. iMessage was not well thought out for the global traveler at all. Nor the person who may change phones, as YOU as a receiver do not have the control as it is linked to your sms
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-23-11 09:23 PM
    What I fear about iMessage is I'm promoting people to send me SMS

if a "friend" has an iPhone, and heaven forbid I had one as well, and they are used to sending me SMS, and I switch phones, I continue to receive SMS, when traveling in the US currently I have 3 contacts whom I must text to say ONLY text in an emergency as the incoming texting fee is through the roof, but an ALWAYS data communications tool can be used over wifi which is increasingly available, as well as data costs are considerably lower than SMS costs.

This is another one of those services that is geared toward the American who has unlimited texting packages, which are the biggest ripoff if you consider the amount of data being sent via a text. iMessage was not well thought out for the global traveler at all. Nor the person who may change phones, as YOU as a receiver do not have the control as it is linked to your sms
    Simple solution. Give them the email adress linked to your Apple ID (and you can have multiple). Don't give them your number. Turn off the "send as text" option if the data connection isn't working.

iMessage has absolutely NOTHING to do with SMS unless you choose it to be. People do not have to iMessage your phone number for your iPhone to get it. Just iMessage the email. I have several iMessages open right now directly to the persons email. No text fallback.

If people can decide to BBM someone instead of text them, I'm sure they can decide to iMessage the linked email to your account. This is how they would communicate with any other iOS device besides the iPhone (iPod touch and iPad). It really is not hard to do.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-23-11 at 09:35 PM.
    10-23-11 09:32 PM
    Simple solution. Give them the email adress linked to your Apple ID (and you can have multiple). Don't give them your number. Turn off the "send as text" option if the data connection isn't working.

iMessage has absolutely NOTHING to do with SMS unless you choose it to be. People do not have to iMessage your phone number for your iPhone to get it. Just iMessage the email.

If people can decide to BBM someone instead of text them, I'm sure they can decide to iMessage the linked email to your account. This is how they would communicate with any other iOS device besides the iPhone (iPod touch and iPad). It really is not hard to do.

Is that the default setting?
    the Majority of people never change off the default setting, one reason Router company's started shipping routers with preset Wireless security, Internet providers started including basic firewalls into their modems, and why MicroSoft is trying to rewrite the way Windows is installed for Windows 8 making some linux people very unhappy.

I thought the Beauty of iMessage was it's seamless use between SMS and Data communication with people, if both had iPhones great, if one didn't great it doesn't matter to the person with the iPhone, I am sure iMessage is a wonderful Apple to Apple communications protocol, but it was hyped to be that seamless easy to use feature, and apparently one must set it up, and customize it first and make it just like every other device specific chat client.

rather than make another post.
    I am going to comment to my affection for the PIN of my BlackBerry.
    I post my pin in many public places, it has resulted in me being contacted by the head of IT for a company that I was talking about on twitter to discuss an idea I was throwing around, it has resulted in me meeting more than 50 people while I travel around having a friendly face in a city where I'd probably be dining alone had it not been for BBM, would I do the same with my phone number? or my email address? no, my PIN changes yearly at least, my Phone number I've had since I was 22(?) my email address I've had longer still, and as I had a conversation with a BBM friend who left for iPhone for 2 weeks recently as to why I didn't respond to him quickly anymore, I said talking via email work always comes first, BBM is the escape from work, when work has no escape dictated by time. if I get a personal email it could take me 3-5 day to get to it through my business emails, but a BBM is out in it's own box, and it addressed, had I been forced to use Apple products I would treat iMessage the same way I am sure.

I've gone off tangent, the Beauty of the PIN is that it isn't ever lasting, and it isn't tied to you in any permanent way, it doesn't give off any clue as to your personality, and it is wonderfully anonymous.
    If RIM were to abolish the PIN method and move to BBID, it would greatly change the way I use this platform.
    10-23-11 09:46 PM
    Is that the default setting?
    the Majority of people never change off the default setting, one reason Router company's started shipping routers with preset Wireless security, Internet providers started including basic firewalls into their modems, and why MicroSoft is trying to rewrite the way Windows is installed for Windows 8 making some linux people very unhappy.
    iMessage by default is set to not send as a text I believe. I am pretty sure I had to turn it on. By default on the iPhone it is just linked to your phone number. Go into the iMessage settings (you have to go into there anyway to turn iMessage on, at least I had to when I first installed iOS 5) and then link your email. You can even set iMessage to show your email as caller ID instead of your number.

I thought the Beauty of iMessage was it's seamless use between SMS and Data communication with people, if both had iPhones great, if one didn't great it doesn't matter to the person with the iPhone, I am sure iMessage is a wonderful Apple to Apple communications protocol, but it was hyped to be that seamless easy to use feature, and apparently one must set it up, and customize it first and make it just like every other device specific chat client.
    That is part of the beauty. It automatically detects if the other person is using iMessage as soon as you enter the contact in the "To" field. You do not have to choose to iMessage them if you have it enabled. It automatically will iMessage instead. This is if iMessage is even on.

Most of the people I know have Android devices so they check the settings no matter what because customization is key with Android. Same with the BB users I know. They have changed many preferences. Even my father who has an iPhone and barely knows how to use it checked his iMessage settings to add an email account. Especially since iMessage is used to communicate with ANY iOS 5 device. I know many people don't, but any person looking to get the most out of their device will. I expect a business user who is worried about certain things like texts and data will check any settings that has to do with data or SMS. I know I would.
    10-23-11 09:59 PM
    That is part of the beauty. It automatically detects if the other person is using iMessage as soon as you enter the contact in the "To" field. You do not have to choose to iMessage them if you have it enabled. It automatically will iMessage instead. This is if iMessage is even on.

Most of the people I know have Android devices so they check the settings no matter what because customization is key with Android. Same with the BB users I know. They have changed many preferences. Even my father who has an iPhone and barely knows how to use it checked his iMessage settings to add an email account. Especially since iMessage is used to communicate with ANY iOS 5 device. I know many people don't, but any person looking to get the most out of their device will. I expect a business user who is worried about certain things like texts and data will check any settings that has to do with data or SMS. I know I would.
    I get this "beauty" of it,

Lets go this scenario, I will admit I could be completely off, I hate the iOS UI, so I don't really look at the devices in great detail beyond knowing the crap I am going to have to fix or at least field questions about.

User 1 has iPhone
    User 2 has iPhone
    They iMessage via email adding
    User 1 moved to Android
    how does he now contact user 2? via email? is there a 3rd party iMessage integration?
    how is the more beautiful than BBM?

I get the beauty of using it like SMS, I really do, and if I didn't travel, and didn't view SMS as a complete money grab by the carriers I would probably be far more impressed, but I just don't see why it is seen as such a great tool it is just like other closed messaging systems. Apple has just made it seem wonderful as it auto detects that users CAN use the same application rather then requiring someone add them to the application, that is a pretty nice feature for direct chatting.
    10-23-11 10:27 PM
    I get this "beauty" of it,

Lets go this scenario, I will admit I could be completely off, I hate the iOS UI, so I don't really look at the devices in great detail beyond knowing the crap I am going to have to fix or at least field questions about.

User 1 has iPhone
    User 2 has iPhone
    They iMessage via email adding
    User 1 moved to Android
    how does he now contact user 2? via email? is there a 3rd party iMessage integration?
    how is the more beautiful than BBM?
    User 1 can still email user 2. There is no third party iMessage integration. iMessage is for iOS devices just like BBM is for BBs. It isn't more beautiful than BBM. The beauty just comes with the auto detection and how it is simply built into the Messaging app and how it works across all iOS 5 devices and not just phones.

BBM is an awesome platform for those who have the contacts. I do not think iMessage is better or more beautiful than BBM. What is better is personal preference and how many contacts you have on said platforms.

I get the beauty of using it like SMS, I really do, and if I didn't travel, and didn't view SMS as a complete money grab by the carriers I would probably be far more impressed, but I just don't see why it is seen as such a great tool it is just like other closed messaging systems. Apple has just made it seem wonderful as it auto detects that users CAN use the same application rather then requiring someone add them to the application, that is a pretty nice feature for direct chatting.
    Like I said, you don't have to waste money on SMS with it. Just send to the email and all is well. But I can see how many users would not like it.

It's just personal preference. With the contacts I did have on BBM, I enjoyed using it, just like I am enjoying iMessage with all my contacts who have iOS devices. Almost everyone I know at least has an iPod touch, so I already have a lot of contacts.
    10-23-11 10:35 PM
    I guess it's either/or because they're different apps (and different platforms), but I don't see why BBM can't adopt iMessage's best features. What is stopping RIM from incorporating a feature whereby texts to anyone in your address book who has a BlackBerry automatically gets routed through BBM, but until you invite them they can't see your status, etc.?
    10-24-11 01:03 AM
    Nah, I like my sms in my sms inbox and bbm in my bbm inbox. They both have their place and I like them separate.

Imessage already sounds complicated, have to use sms, email addresses, different devices etc, my Pin is personal(mine even has my initials in it), and bbms only go to one device.

10-24-11 01:17 AM
    from what i hear of the iMessage, sounds like the WhatsApp guys should be heading to court to sue apple...or did apple buy out whatsapp?
    10-24-11 01:18 AM
    This is a very pointless poll, but the debate is not.

I'd say BBM is better for the simple fact that PINS and mobile numbers are separate. Not everyone wants to be found. Not everyone wants everyone in his phone book to message him easily/anytime either.

But BBM isnt perfect, would have been better if it works on BBID as well. This way we don't have to share cryptic numbers and codes that arent the easiest thing to remember to add someone on BBM, when the person isn't right next to you. Think like DNS in the internet and why domain names are used instead of IP addresses.

In addition, BBM seems to be growing into a platform, RIM realized theres competitions and they've gotta step up their game there or lose their distinction.
    10-24-11 01:25 AM
    I would rather not use a messenger that ties to my phone number or email address.

I have numerous contacts of which I correspond solely through messaging, and have no wish to share my phone number nor an email address. People I've met through message forums, special interest groups, social networks, etc.. None of which I wish to share my personal information with. Sharing a phone number with somebody you don't know intimately is easily recognized as a bad idea, and email addresses are the same. Some people might find email addresses to be disposable, but I don't find that to be accurate. For the same reasons I have no desire to change my phone number, I have no desire to change email addresses either. I'd rather not have to contact numerous sources each time I change addresses and change my info.

A decent Instant Messaging service solves this since you choose who can or cannot correspond with you with a simple click. No personal information is given away. And you don't suffer any frustrations or consequences should somebody leak or give away your IM identification.
    10-24-11 02:52 AM
    since it uses your email address or phone number it would seem strange why it couldnt easily go cross platform. would like to know what it detects in the other phone to know it can send it over data and not send it as a text.

I do like how my bbm is in another app. since imessage is in the messaging app im wondering what they can do to build on it. have they said anything about adding groups, video, pictures, voice notes and things like that? i do like that it takes care of texts, carriers do rip people off on them.

one thing i heard is that if you are trying to send a mass message to a few people and have 4 people on imessage and 1 person as a normal text it will send everyone a text.
    Last edited by eKafara; 10-24-11 at 05:07 AM. Reason: I can't spell. Plus I'm on my PB.
    10-24-11 05:03 AM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD