02-01-11 02:10 PM
49 12
tools
    I first heard of the version from here at CB.com
    I read a few posts before dl'ing; and then decided to do an OTA update. It couldn't have gone smoother.

I know some of the issues people are frustrated by a few things but most of those can be avoided by being patient and not rushing to download before preparing for an update. (ie, having a backup etc.)

The little things like Ring Tones and themes are items which will have an abundance of choice very soon.

I admit it takes a little while to get used to OS6, but again, that is to be expected. I enjoy the streamlined apps and screens etc.

I also admit if someone new came to this forum looking for some information on OS 6, he would be a little taken aback by all the negative posts and might be scared away. But once you know who the trusted users are here in this forum, you see that OS 6 is the way to go. Just remember, be patient and BB will show you the way!
    01-27-11 06:53 PM
    I'm enjoying the OS6!
    01-27-11 07:04 PM
    Well put. I downloaded the sprint version of OS 6 December 23 and have been using it ever since with no issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-11 07:05 PM
    Well said. Enjoy BB6 and welcome to Crackberry.
    01-27-11 07:36 PM
    i have the official bb6 for vzw and its meh. works better than a leak, but its home screen is counter intuitive and my battery life has gone from great to laughable.
    lunghd_2 likes this.
    01-27-11 08:43 PM
    The only peeve I have about os6 is that on bbm groups there is a delay in opening up the group chat. Other than that I really enjoy it installation was a breeze

01-27-11 08:57 PM
    I gave it a shot for a couple of days, but am downgrading back to 5.0.0.975 as I write this. I'm sure I'll give it another shot, but probably need to let it bake a while longer. More than anything, it's the theme that's killing it for me. Some stuff is just way too small, and my eyes are pretty good.
    lunghd_2 likes this.
    01-27-11 09:21 PM
    I gave it a shot for a couple of days, but am downgrading back to 5.0.0.975 as I write this. I'm sure I'll give it another shot, but probably need to let it bake a while longer. More than anything, it's the theme that's killing it for me. Some stuff is just way too small, and my eyes are pretty good.
    I'm surprised you say that. I feel like a lot of stuff is way too large, and I have the font on default 8. Also what happened to the browser shortcuts? I wish those were back.

01-27-11 09:25 PM
    I'm loving it as well but my battery life is pretty terrible right now. It only lasts half a day, if that.
    Aside from that, I'm getting used to the changes and it's been very responsive and easy to use for me.
    01-27-11 09:33 PM
    I tried OS6 for a couple hours and though I welcome change I couldn't get passed not having column view and what seemed like a slower browser. The trays have to go but that will be addressed with new themes for OS6. I'm back on OS5 and its like wearing a comfortable pair of old jeans. I to will wait for OS6 to get more refined. I'm in no hurry.

anon(2888700) and lunghd_2 like this.
    01-28-11 04:09 AM
    I first heard of the version from here at CB.com
    I read a few posts before dl'ing; and then decided to do an OTA update. It couldn't have gone smoother.

I know some of the issues people are frustrated by a few things but most of those can be avoided by being patient and not rushing to download before preparing for an update. (ie, having a backup etc.)

The little things like Ring Tones and themes are items which will have an abundance of choice very soon.

I admit it takes a little while to get used to OS6, but again, that is to be expected. I enjoy the streamlined apps and screens etc.

I also admit if someone new came to this forum looking for some information on OS 6, he would be a little taken aback by all the negative posts and might be scared away. But once you know who the trusted users are here in this forum, you see that OS 6 is the way to go. Just remember, be patient and BB will show you the way!
    You can add back all the OS5 ringtones if you search the forums for a few posts. The zipped folders of ringtones are out there.
    01-28-11 08:36 AM
    I'm surprised you say that. I feel like a lot of stuff is way too large, and I have the font on default 8. Also what happened to the browser shortcuts? I wish those were back.

Well, perhaps there's a setting I missed, so I'll explain a bit more. There are two primary areas that I found too small, and 1 just annoying:

1. When within a messaging app (like email or something), and I hit the trackpad button to bring up the small context menu to say, Send, Cancel, Save, etc, I find that little pop up very small. When in a message list, there are even more options, and the size makes it challenging to me.

2. When using universal search, the results (like contacts, messages, etc) that appear on the home screen, under the search box, also are very small to see.

Here's the annoying one - in a message list, the subject line of the email is grayed out and not black like the sender's name. I just find this difficult to view.

I'm sure all of these are theme related, so with new themes, I'm sure I'll be back. But for now, 5.0.0.975 feels right. Just nice and clean.
    01-28-11 08:59 AM
    Well, perhaps there's a setting I missed, so I'll explain a bit more. There are two primary areas that I found too small, and 1 just annoying:

1. When within a messaging app (like email or something), and I hit the trackpad button to bring up the small context menu to say, Send, Cancel, Save, etc, I find that little pop up very small. When in a message list, there are even more options, and the size makes it challenging to me.

2. When using universal search, the results (like contacts, messages, etc) that appear on the home screen, under the search box, also are very small to see.

Here's the annoying one - in a message list, the subject line of the email is grayed out and not black like the sender's name. I just find this difficult to view.

I'm sure all of these are theme related, so with new themes, I'm sure I'll be back. But for now, 5.0.0.975 feels right. Just nice and clean.
    I'm sorry to say that I personally don't think the size of the fonts are going to be all that different with themes. I hope I'm wrong because I would like it to be a size larger as well, but I don't know. MAybe someone can customize a theme for you for a fee and make the fonts as large as you would like.

I think the larger they go, the less appealing cosmetically they look. Functionality would probably increase with size increase, however.
    Here's hoping.
    01-28-11 09:12 AM
    Still don't like that when you dial it shows small font for #'s and letters in search without the DTMF. You have to hit the green button for the new call window, then you get the DTMF when you are dialing, but the font is much smaller than with OS5. Otherwise, I find OS6 better in most every way.
    01-28-11 08:40 PM
    I ran all the leaks for past few months and I admit I didn't care for BB6 at first. I didn't like the way the phone numbers showed up under the search box, I thought it was awkward. I went back and forth a few times between BB6 leaks and OS 5, I was running .975 which I really liked a lot. But I kept trying BB6 and finally started to really get into it. It does take some time to get used to it, and probably isn't for everyone. I find BB6 now to be solid, .431 is smooth and runs great.
    01-28-11 09:01 PM
    After a couple days, i'll be going back to the OS5. i cant stand the fact i have to hit the "menu/blackberry" button twice to make the full list of icons pop up. i dont like not having the column view in the browser, even thought the tabbed browser is cool, but not really all that funcional for me. And it is waaaaaay slower then the previous browser. Also, I liked in OS5 every form of message that came into the phone had a serperate ringtone. Now when i get a picture message or text, they have the same sound. Why? they are different types of messages; why would that option go away? I get alot of text and pitures throught out the day, and i liked knowing based on sound when i recieved either message. Also in the messaging menu, i dont like the fact when i hit the menu button, "open" is the first5 thing thats highlighted. What happend to compose being the first one highlighted? and why is compose txt, pin, instant mesage in a sub menu? this doesnt make for very intuitive nor quick. OS5 here i come!
    01-28-11 09:07 PM
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with OS6. It's nothing ground-breaking, but I would say it's a definite improvement over 5. The 9650 I got last weekend had 5 installed on it, and the first thing I did after my ESN swap was upgrade. My only real peeve is that hitting the BlackBerry key from the home screen doesn't automatically show all of my apps.

I can't comment on the battery life too much since I didn't really run the 9650 with OS5 at all. The battery life isn't as good as the 9700 I used to have (which was running OS5), but the 9700 had pretty amazing battery life compared to most things. Relative to the Evo I had been running on Sprint, though, my 9650 with OS6 is a champ.
    01-28-11 09:08 PM
    After a couple days, i'll be going back to the OS5. i cant stand the fact i have to hit the "menu/blackberry" button twice to make the full list of icons pop up. i dont like not having the column view in the browser, even thought the tabbed browser is cool, but not really all that funcional for me. And it is waaaaaay slower then the previous browser. Also, I liked in OS5 every form of message that came into the phone had a serperate ringtone. Now when i get a picture message or text, they have the same sound. Why? they are different types of messages; why would that option go away? I get alot of text and pitures throught out the day, and i liked knowing based on sound when i recieved either message. Also in the messaging menu, i dont like the fact when i hit the menu button, "open" is the first5 thing thats highlighted. What happend to compose being the first one highlighted? and why is compose txt, pin, instant mesage in a sub menu? this doesnt make for very intuitive nor quick. OS5 here i come!
    Sorry you have a problem with OS6. Just FYI, you can set different sounds for your different messages, mine are. Enjoy 0S5.
    01-28-11 09:16 PM
    My biggest problem is getting used to the calendar. I really prefer the 5.0 calendar. It won't take my settings for the day to be 7:00 am to 8:00 pm. It keeps all 24 hours open. I also can't seem to enter appointments directly from the calendar view. Any suggestions?
    01-28-11 10:21 PM
    I tried OS6 for a couple hours and though I welcome change I couldn't get passed not having column view and what seemed like a slower browser. The trays have to go but that will be addressed with new themes for OS6. I'm back on OS5 and its like wearing a comfortable pair of old jeans. I to will wait for OS6 to get more refined. I'm in no hurry.

Exact same here.....going back to 5 as we speak. I just don't see the big draw with 6.
    Last edited by Teeebone; 01-28-11 at 11:38 PM.
    01-28-11 10:51 PM
    Jeans analogy is pretty good but I was ready for a new OS (pair) or a new phone. I am getting used to it but it rubs in a few places - so I will wear it until it breaks in. My old wallpaper and tones has helped
    01-28-11 11:43 PM
    I had OS5 then downloaded the OS6 from Sprint... I recently changed to Verizon OS6. I am gonna say the OS6 from VZ is faster and a little better than the sprint. the camera shutter is quicker. The pulldown powermanager is complete. I don't care for OS6 at this time. it needs to become quicker. the trays are useless...Downloads, Frequent, All(which is where I live)...I seem to accidentally scroll thru those trays and set them up so they are identical to All so I know where Im at.
    just a bad idea.
    I love the universal search....sweet....
    01-29-11 04:22 AM
    After reading everyones posts about OS 6 I think I am going to stay with 5 for awhile. It does everything that I need it to and I finally have everything set up the way I want. I dont think that the theme that I like is in 6 yet either so I will just wait.
    01-29-11 08:42 AM
    I'm actually likeing 0S6 quite a bit. It does not seem laggy at all. My OS5 had it's laggy moments, and I suppose I have noticed a lag or two at different times on OS6... but nothing devastating.

Battery power, as far as I can tell, has been unaffected by the OS change.
    01-29-11 09:14 AM
    My biggest problem is getting used to the calendar. I really prefer the 5.0 calendar. It won't take my settings for the day to be 7:00 am to 8:00 pm. It keeps all 24 hours open. I also can't seem to enter appointments directly from the calendar view. Any suggestions?
    I have my calendar starting at 7am and ending at 7pm. It does show 24 hours but the hours between 7a-7p are darker on the side. I'm able to enter appointments from calendar view, did you check the calendar options to see if quick entry is enabled.
    01-29-11 09:56 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD