06-03-10 09:55 PM
31 12
tools
    Have you even used BBM lately? It has a remote backup/restore feature that let's you transfer contact lists between phones easily. Most of the time, your contacts won't even know you changed phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah you'll have your friend's list updated, but they'll have no idea that you have a new PIN until you tell them. It's still useless for personal use. Yeah it would be perfect if everyone you know used a blackberry and would never ever go to another platform. Well since that's isn't the case, relying on a single platform messaging system is ridiculous. You feel like you can't give up a blackberry just because of BBM. Who cares if the browser stinks, I have BBM. Who cares, if I have to do battery pulls, deal with truncated email, phony html email, mediocre media features, crap world, I have BBM and that's all that matters. Yeah, right. If all your friends are on BBM that's great for you. But the vast majority of people aren't on BBM. Heck, I have friends with blackberries and didn't even know what their PIN was and the purpose of it, but they were chatting on AIM. You know why? Because they didn't want to go through getting everyone's PIN number just to chat when they are already chatting with them. And when they changed devices they can still chat the way they always did. And guess what, they all have iPhones and Android devices now. Go figure.

BBM = Great for Business use, for personal use you can do a lot better.
    05-26-10 01:21 PM
    "Blah blah blah RIM has an agenda blah blah blah Mike Lazardis kicked me as a baby."

You know there are iPhone and Android forums you can go to, right? There's really no need to keep hanging around a BlackBerry site complaining.

"Boy, since I fell and broke my leg, it really hurts if I keep walking on it, but I'm sure not going to fix the issue! H*ll no, I'm going to keep walking around on it and b*tch and moan until my voice is hoarse, then complain some more!"

Get a life, man.

Some people like BBM over AIM, because AIM is sh*t. There, said it. The same could be said for any other IM platform. There's a reason all the little Droids flock to GTalk (God knows why..it's literally the exact same as MSN but made by Google) and give that ten to fifteen years and they'll be going on the same way about their native chat client.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 05-26-10 at 01:37 PM.
    05-26-10 01:35 PM
    They may all be proprietary but thats why apps like Beejive exist. They combine Google Talk, yahoo, AIM, MSN, ICQ, Jabber, Facebook chat, etc. Most people have at least one of those so it really does cover most people- on a smartphone, computer, or even flip phone too. Every platform has some way to access one of those services or an app to do it.

Its much more useful than a truly proprietary system like BBM to get a hold of everyone you know, not just BB users.
    Exactly. Get an all-in one client and you're good to go. I have friend across several different IM clients so I don't need to add them all and try to get them to sign up for GTalk when they are comfortable using AIM. I use Beejive so I can connect with everyone and even my facebook friends as well. Only those that take pride in having something no one else has like BBM see it as a must have. When it reality, it's a pain when having to use different devices and platforms. And like you sai earlier, I'm chatting with those who aren't on their phone but on their computers as well. I can chat with those aren't on smartphones but are using their carriers IM which uses their SMS. There are too many flexible options out there than to be tied to something like BBM.
    05-26-10 01:37 PM
    Yeah you'll have your friend's list updated, but they'll have no idea that you have a new PIN until you tell them.
    ...Yeah... That's kind of the whole point. Your old PIN will be automatically replaced by the new one on everyone else's BBM. They could continue talking to you without realizing it is a new PIN.

It's still useless for personal use. Yeah it would be perfect if everyone you know used a blackberry and would never ever go to another platform. Well since that's isn't the case, relying on a single platform messaging system is ridiculous. You feel like you can't give up a blackberry just because of BBM. Who cares if the browser stinks, I have BBM. Who cares, if I have to do battery pulls, deal with truncated email, phony html email, mediocre media features, crap world, I have BBM and that's all that matters. Yeah, right. If all your friends are on BBM that's great for you. But the vast majority of people aren't on BBM. Heck, I have friends with blackberries and didn't even know what their PIN was and the purpose of it, but they were chatting on AIM. You know why? Because they didn't want to go through getting everyone's PIN number just to chat when they are already chatting with them. And when they changed devices they can still chat the way they always did. And guess what, they all have iPhones and Android devices now. Go figure.

Did my post strike a chord with you? It's ok to admit it if you don't know how BBM works. There's no need to go on an all out rant when all I asked was a simple question.

Seriously, you make it sound as if BBM's a liability to have. It's just a perk, a really big perk depending on how many people you have on BBM. With that said, just because we have BBM, doesn't mean BlackBerry users can't use any other messaging program. In fact, receiving push notifications from multiple sources with hardly any impact on battery life is what the BlackBerry excels at. You could be signed onto BBM, AIM, Google Talk, MSN, ICQ, Yahoo!, etc... while still receiving your e-mails, and the phone would be humming along just fine. It's not a big deal.

With that said, the uses of IM programs are very limited to me. I have about 10x as many people on BBM (it is very popular here) as I do on Google Talk (which I stay signed into anyways). The only other IM program I use is MSN, and it is always disconnecting me to the point of uselessness. I only really talk to one person on there anyways. Everything else is done by SMS or...that...voice chat thing... phone calling! That was it!
    05-26-10 07:09 PM
    BWAHAHAHAHA!!! You called BBM a "Super App". Oh, that is to laugh!
    I consider it to be a super app. Its the reason i love BB.
    06-03-10 07:52 PM
    I have one (yes, ONE) contact on BBM that I BBM regularly, out of the eight () I have total. And I can tell you we do not talk business at all--our conversations are almost always "personal". BBM might not be for everyone, but it works for the people I have on my list. That one contact ONLY uses BBM in terms of messenger options because he finds it so easy...and I find it easy too. But I also have Google Talk on my phone for some of my other friends, and for the other "other" friends I can always just send an old-fashioned SMS. With OS 5.0's threaded SMS it's almost like I'm "chatting" with them, too!
    06-03-10 09:55 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD