06-03-10 10:55 PM
31 12
tools
    Well, I recently downloaded the cnectd app so that I could hopefully get a bbm type service for connecting with my friends who are iPhone and android users. what I've found is that most people want an app where they can enter my pin into their iPhone or android device and give me their username, etc. Basically, would an app like this be possible? It would basically be an extension of bbm ... Blackberry users keep their pins but iphone and android users could join the contact list through a username.

I hope my post isn't confusing, it makes sense to me. I'm posting from my berry so I'm trying not to go into too much detail but I can explain more when I get to a computer.

Basically... Is this idea even possible???

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-10 11:51 AM
    No, right now that's not possible because the PIN use that BBM depends upon is unique to RIM's network.

However, if Apple is smart, they'd make a similar chat client that uses the UDID of their devices in a similar manner. That would pretty much guarantee the iPhone's success in this field just as much as BB has made over the years and help them penetrate that nich of the market space.

Right now, the closest thing that's going to work cross platform is some kind of 3rd party chat program that doesn't depend upon hardcoded info in a perticular brand of handsets. This is why people use things like AIM, GT, etc. The idea behind the program that you're trying out is to make a new 3rd party chat program that closely resembles BBM because the developer seems to feel that the gimmick addiction behind BBM is the way it looks and feels. I tend to disagree with this and think that it's just the fact that BBM existed on the handsets initially when SMS costs were higher and people started using it because they could have free (since it's data only) chat with friends and coworkers as well as unlimited message sizes (as apposed to SMS, which is limited). Currently, there are plenty of chat programs available to do just this and they are also free and many of them have either 1st or 3rd party push clients for respective handsets out there, but since BB users got addicted to BBM, they don't see a reason to switch or use anything else.

This is why I say that I think if Apple made something similar (even if it's limited to just iPhones like BBM is to BBs), the nostalgia of the idea will help people migrate to this once on an iPhone (if they came from BB) and they again will feel "special" because they think it's unique to just iPhone (i.e. singular platform) use and somehow this makes it better.
    05-19-10 12:06 PM
    I don't think so. Your PIN is linked to RIM's servers, something other phones don't have access to. Without that link, the PIN is just a bunch of letters and numbers, like a credit card that doesn't link to an account.
    With regards to adding Android or IPhone users, the only ways to really communicate with their phones is via the phone number it's linked to (SMS), or an email or instant messaging client it's connected to. There is no "PIN" that would link it up to a network shared with other phone users. Long story short, chat clients like Google Talk, or just plain SMS will always be needed, as these are the only forms of textual communication available to other smartphones.

05-19-10 12:09 PM
    Its a great question though. Half my staff have blackberries, the other half iPhones. Its a real pain to have to txt those with iPhones and I have longed to find something that works on both but don't like many of the 3rd party apps I've seen....

PG
    05-20-10 09:48 AM
    Everyone should just use AIM, YIM or GTalk. Using an IM client that's only made for 1 platform is almost useless for personal use. Since in today's environment people are on various platforms you don't lost your contacts or have to give out to contact (pin) info everytime you get a new device or change platforms.

Apple is smart, if they made client like this, they'll make it integrated with other clients as well. I could see them easily making it able to chat with those by their iPhones and those that are on AIM and Gtalk as well. Sorta like on macs where with iChat you can talk across several platforms and not just one. BBM was great a few years ago until myself and all my friends decided to go to other platforms and the few that were left on blackberry got on another client anyway. It's still great for business but for personal use, things changes too often and too fast with friends and their devices so I definitely don't want to be restricted to one client.
    05-20-10 10:33 AM
    With 150,000+ iphone apps available I'm shocked there is no apps for BBM.

Proof that a single Blackberry Super App vs. 150,000+ iphone apps is the dividing factor among consumers.
    05-20-10 02:36 PM
    I've heard Google Talk is cross platform enough to work.
    05-20-10 03:33 PM

Proof that a single Blackberry Super App vs. 150,000+ iphone apps is the dividing factor among consumers.
    BWAHAHAHAHA!!! You called BBM a "Super App". Oh, that is to laugh!
    05-20-10 04:18 PM

Blackberry Messenger is specific to.. Blackberry phones.

BBM is cool because it's fairly universal among Blackberry owners. "Oh, you have a Blackberry.. what's your PIN?" It's also simply a cool app. I love the additional functionality over typical IM like the photo sharing and groups and stuff. The fact that it runs all the time (at least on my Storm) means I am always able to accept messages, and it's a live system.

That said, BBM has little value to me, as quite honestly I have no friends who use it. I have all of two contacts on BBM and neither of them ever talk to me. The only other contact I had who I actually used BBM with frequently, well, he bought an Android phone. Poof.

iPhone IM apps have two massive drawbacks.

One is the whole lack of multitasking. Push is cute, but Push is a technology of faith. When the app isn't running, you're at the mercy of a Push server somewhere to remember you and push messages, which I've noticed to be a little less than 100% perfect (*shakes fist at Palringo*).

The other is that there are a LOT of "iPhone to iPhone" IM apps, and they are all proprietary. To chat with someone, you need to know what IM app they use, and if you don't have it, you need to get it and set it up. Not to mention many of them are not free, or have limited "lite" versions which are more concerned with ad spam than quality of product.

I have no idea why Apple didn't go for an iChat client for iPhone, with BBM-like functionality. I guess they didn't want to threaten the various developers with their clone IM apps.
    05-20-10 04:23 PM
    Hmm... Bbm or appwhore....bbm or apps....hmmm I think I will get a blackberry for the bbm. Lol
    05-20-10 05:02 PM
    Search button must be broken again. Whatsapp and Hello are both cross-platform messengers that are fully integrated and don't suck like all of the IM apps do.
    05-20-10 05:36 PM
    Everyone should just use AIM, YIM or GTalk. Using an IM client that's only made for 1 platform is almost useless for personal use. Since in today's environment people are on various platforms you don't lost your contacts or have to give out to contact (pin) info everytime you get a new device or change platforms.

Apple is smart, if they made client like this, they'll make it integrated with other clients as well. I could see them easily making it able to chat with those by their iPhones and those that are on AIM and Gtalk as well. Sorta like on macs where with iChat you can talk across several platforms and not just one. BBM was great a few years ago until myself and all my friends decided to go to other platforms and the few that were left on blackberry got on another client anyway. It's still great for business but for personal use, things changes too often and too fast with friends and their devices so I definitely don't want to be restricted to one client.
    Have you even used BBM lately? It has a remote backup/restore feature that let's you transfer contact lists between phones easily. Most of the time, your contacts won't even know you changed phones.

05-20-10 11:11 PM
    BBM is not superior.
    Yes, it is famous on BB user.

but there is alternative such as YM, GTalk.

Everybody need to support this as alternative. and there are good
    05-21-10 11:19 AM
    Pmessenger uses PIN as the user name.

It pick's up the PIN of the BB device and use it as the user name for BB user. For Iphones it creates a "pin".

You add contacts via PIN.
    05-21-10 11:38 AM
    The Delivered/Read system still makes it for me, personally. If ANY other chat client had that, I'd hop and delete BBM in a second.

That feature alone (Again, for me) makes it far, far superior to GT and I would never even consider YM as my chat client.
    05-21-10 11:43 AM
    Don't forget file and picture sharing.

05-21-10 03:12 PM
    So, if you want to use cnectd this way, just make your username your PIN...
    05-22-10 10:35 AM
    Cnectd is pretty buggy. I downloaded it and got a bunch of errors. I mean, it has the potential (but so does Lucid and Trillian) once it gets some more fixes and stuff.
    05-22-10 03:14 PM
    yes, but its not as if yahoo messenger (for example) dont do this..

the ONLY real advantage of BBM is for the paranoid.. the D/R

Don't forget file and picture sharing.

05-23-10 09:09 AM
    The plus to BBM is it comes with the phone, there's nothing to install its already on the phone when you buy it.

But on the other hand, people who like to IM each other download a cross-platform IM app most of the times. there are free and paid apps on all platforms to do this. Plus if someone is on their home/work computer you can IM there too. A cross-platform IM app is the way to go to get all of your friends in one app no matter what OS theyre on or even on a computer. You can send media, etc as well like the desktop IM apps.

Saying that, there are cross-platform BBM-like apps. pMessenger is one thats on Android, BB, and iphone that works nearly identical to BBM, it even has the Send/Read status for the paranoid. You can send photo, video, and voice notes. It basically mimics BBM on all Android, BB and iphone.

BBM is proprietary and not a huge number of BB users overall use it. Also it cant connect to any other smartphone OS or dumbphone. But an IM app can hit every phone out there, even flip phones can get AIM/yahoo/etc.
    05-23-10 12:45 PM
    There is some minus poin of BBM
    1. Only For BB. can not talk to other Handset. or web chat.
    2. If We change the handset, the PIN is changed. and we need to add again. time consuming, and headache.
    3. Features not complete
    4. Sometimes the message did not arrive at the recipient. and we did not know about it. we think it delivered
    Others

so please support other Chat solutions.
    or Push RIM to Open The BBM
    05-23-10 02:00 PM
    yes, but its not as if yahoo messenger (for example) dont do this..

the ONLY real advantage of BBM is for the paranoid.. the D/R
    No one I know uses Yahoo. The last time I used it was about a decade ago.

The message indicator (D/R) is also tremendously useful, not just for the "paranoid". Imagine never having to ask, "Did you get my text?"

There are also some other misconceptions in this thread. Changing your phone doesn't mean you have to re-add everyone. BBM5 has a remote backup and restoration feature. People will not even realize you are on a different phone.

Also, every messaging app is proprietary. Just like how BBM is only available to BlackBerrys, Google Talk (for example) is only available to those with a Google account, but don't expect to be able to talk every one of your smartphone friends to not only get a Google Talk account, but also to make a habit of using it.

Either way, it's the same thing in principle. Every IM program has limitations.

Last edited by Masahiro; 05-26-10 at 08:28 PM.
    05-23-10 07:05 PM
    There is some minus poin of BBM
    1. Only For BB. can not talk to other Handset. or web chat.
    2. If We change the handset, the PIN is changed. and we need to add again. time consuming, and headache.
    3. Features not complete
    4. Sometimes the message did not arrive at the recipient. and we did not know about it. we think it delivered
    Others

so please support other Chat solutions.
    or Push RIM to Open The BBM
    Sounds like you're using a BlackBerry 6710 or something NOT from the past 5 years.

1. Only For BB. can not talk to other Handset. or web chat. Well, yes, that's why it's called "BlackBerry" Messenger, and not "BlackBerry and other devices" Messenger
    2. If We change the handset, the PIN is changed. and we need to add again. time consuming, and headache. Not since 5.0
    3. Features not complete Which ones?
    4. Sometimes the message did not arrive at the recipient. and we did not know about it. we think it delivered I think you're making this up.
    Others Like???
    05-23-10 09:30 PM
    Also, every messaging app is proprietary. Just like how BBM is only available to BlackBerrys, Google Talk (for example) is only available to those with a Google account, but don't expect to be able to talk every one of your smartphone friends to not only get a Google Talk account, but also to make a habit of using it.
    They may all be proprietary but thats why apps like Beejive exist. They combine Google Talk, yahoo, AIM, MSN, ICQ, Jabber, Facebook chat, etc. Most people have at least one of those so it really does cover most people- on a smartphone, computer, or even flip phone too. Every platform has some way to access one of those services or an app to do it.

Its much more useful than a truly proprietary system like BBM to get a hold of everyone you know, not just BB users.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-23-10 at 11:36 PM.
    05-23-10 11:32 PM
    No one I know uses Yahoo. The last time I used it was about a decade ago.

The message indicator (D/R) is also tremendously useful, not just for the "paranoid". Imagine never having to ask, "Did you get my text?"

There are also some other misconceptions in this thread. Changing your phone doesn't mean you have to re-add everyone. BBM5 has a remote backup and restoration feature. People will not even realize you are on a different phone.

Either way, it's the same thing in principle. Every I'm program has limitations.

Again, whatsapp does everything mentioned and is supported by berrybuzz.
    05-24-10 04:32 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD