07-05-11 07:08 PM
39 12
tools
  1. T
    This is the 4th or 5th time i heard something like this. Im wondering if Apple is encouraging carriers with higher commission to bad mouth other smartphones.?
    At Best Buy Mobile, I didn't notice that, but that might only be because I was an obvious BlackBerry enthusiast. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened elsewhere. The Best Buy literature did say something in it about Best Buy being commission-free and "fair and impartial" in not swaying consumers one way or the other re devices and platforms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 07:48 PM
    I can see more of these "letters" being vetted and verified by BGR next week.

Once the analysts and investors start to smell the blood in the water, last week's slide on the Exchange may be a blip compared to next week's.
    07-01-11 09:23 PM
    my brother worked at RIM for 2 years while he was in college, several of his friends worked there also, he came home for christmas one year, i'm thinking it was 2009 and we discussed his job. he had brought 2 friends with him that also both worked at RIM. his side of the story is strikingly similar, in fact, they pretty much hated working there, they liked that it was a tech job, and it payed their bills ok, but it was only a job to them.

these letters, real or fake, almost sound identical to the conversations we had about what goes on inside of RIM. he said there were a few bosses that he liked, but generally, any level of creativity or though collaboration were discouraged with the threat of 'do what your supposed to do, don't try to be the hero, you aren't as smart as us, and if you make waves you're gone'

i was really at the time blown away, they all described the office as non friendly and often hostile at times. i was at that time still using blackberry and they were still in rather good standing. i really had a hard time believing it at the time. i sort of summed it up in my head that he was just young. but later i started thinking about the way companies like google, facebook, and microsoft treat their employees, with catered lunches, private innovation time everyday on company hours, babysitting, vacation, benefits, and the contrast between the way RIM was doing things and other emerging/successful companies became stark.

who knows whether or not the letters are real, if i had to place a bet on their validity i'd say they are in fact completely real because i've heard these views from inside the company before. and in fact the company being run in this way greatly gives insight to exactly why everything that's happening to RIM is happening.

their problems aren't their employees, it's management. management is supposed to breed a culture of creativity and development, RIM not only seems to do the opposite inside the company, but outside as well. if you've sat around wondering why things take so long, software is awful, press is bad, well these letters seem to offer up a very insightful explanation.

i don't think if these weren't real scenarios in their offices that you'd see the behavior from RIM bragging about their finances, delaying products, etc. you'd see a thriving culture of new things and not a company trying to grab a limb before they hit the ground.

it's not all sunshine and rainbows at the MS/Google camps. Beside that, there's also the fact that MS and Google are substantially larger companies than RIM is... so i don't believe your comparison is valid.

That aside, RIM does have a lot of house cleaning to do... and they are in the progress of doing it. I'm not sure if you all realize that all this negative press is coming out all at once. Each day people on this forum preach about the need for change. You do realize these changes don't happen in days right? It would be nice to keep the complaining down to a biweekly schedule so we'll have some points of comparison to see if RIM really is making any progress.
    07-01-11 10:37 PM
    it's not all sunshine and rainbows at the MS/Google camps.
    You're kidding, right? I have a friend who works at Google in Sydney and she'd do the job for free. Most of her time off is spent at the Google offices hanging out with her friends.
    07-01-11 11:06 PM
    I know some people who work at Google, MS, and Facebook and love their jobs and others who work there and hate their jobs. It all depends.
    07-02-11 01:24 AM
    I know some people who work at Google, MS, and Facebook and love their jobs and others who work there and hate their jobs. It all depends.
    There are always going to be people who are not happy at their current job, regardless of the industry.

You would expect the level of unhappiness to be higher at Rim these days as even people who are working on the new products are going to grow disheartened at the unceasingly negative press they get these days, take those people who worked on the playbook to produce a great little tablet with intuitive gestures, great multitasking etc. and all that stuff got ignored as reviewers pounced on webmail and blackberry bridge being the only two options for email on it.
    07-02-11 07:29 AM
    You're kidding, right? I have a friend who works at Google in Sydney and she'd do the job for free. Most of her time off is spent at the Google offices hanging out with her friends.
    Ahhh.. Productivity at its finest. If everyone did that, where would the world be? Also, it depends on the job you have. Everyone has complaints about their jobs, but if you're going to do it, don't **** over the company you work for by going to bgr.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-02-11 01:10 PM
    If these letters don't spark drastic change (for the better) at RIM, nothing will.

....but I'm not getting my hopes up
    07-03-11 12:46 AM
    Whoever is trying to put bad business on RIM, they'll eventually be found and caught in the act, then fired. All I can see is rim hasn't failed at all. They're having trouble like any other company once had or is currently having (what company doesn't have trouble?), which might or will soon be worked on to get resolved. And no, i'm not trolling either. Just stating my opinion.

07-03-11 03:24 AM
    I've known people working for MS compaininig about long hours and a lot of pressure. I've worked at IBM, and there was a lot of that too.

And 200-300 I assume beeing ops staff keeping a 24/7 datacentre up is not enough? That writter has got to be kidding.
    07-04-11 10:29 AM
    LETTER 2 was one of the best reads out of the batch of letters I've read.
    07-04-11 11:58 AM
    Like any big company or small compared in software giants, there are going to be good and bad. People blow stuff up beyond what it needs to be because they are being overlooked or whatever the case may be. The old saying goes, "can't make everyone happy." Now the domino effect is going on and people who are unhappy at RIM will cause it. (If this is really fact.)

Sucks, because if it is true, RIM is in big trouble.

07-05-11 05:12 PM
    LETTER 1

I was an employee at RIM for a year and a half. I worked in the legal and business affairs departments, and despite having originally thought Id landed the jackpot job-wise, it took no time for me to begin planning my exodus.

My first week started with a complete change in my title and duties without anyone telling me, and when I dared ask what was happening, the director (my boss) and her BFF the OD business partner ganged up on me and threatened to let me go, setting the tone for the remainder of my time there.
    Welcome to the real world.

LETTER 1
    Over a year an a half, the four of us in the same position dwindled to just me and yet I was responsible for getting all four jobs done for the better part of a year, since this is how long it took the department to hire other entry-level people. Two individuals who had less education and experience (not to mention drive or intelligence) than me were promoted several times while my boss continued to tell me up and down that I had reached my ceiling at RIM due to my lack of education (two degrees!) and experience (5 years!)as an administrative assistant. Rather than attempt to fight this system I figured I could transfer departments, only the company policy requires the supervisor to act as a liaison and reference for internal applicants. The insanely high turnover rate meant the department head wouldnt let anyone go, in addition to refusing to promote from within (pets excepted). People were pitted against each other and an incredibly tense and hostile work environment was fostered. People around the office started referring to the office politics as Survivor: RIM edition. And we all remember the great movement to make recycling physically impossible across the entire company because one person let some confidential information slip.

Then, as I was saving up to return to school and make a better life for myself, I received a series of nasty emails from HR letting me know that since my boss had failed to log my vacation time a year earlier on SAP (despite my insistence on her doing it at three different times), I would have two full paycheques deducted to pay back the company for what was being portrayed as my mistake. I never received an apology and almost had to drop out of school due to the loss of a full months pay. On my last day my boss deliberately avoided me at all cost. The best part is that I recently heard that my boss just got promoted to the VP of the business affairs department.

I write this not to rant about my discouraging situation (it was a few years ago), but rather to relate that my experiences seem (even now as I maintain contact with many work friends) to be the rule rather than the exception across the company. Individuals who have fresh ways of thinking and who try to do things in new ways are not only reprimanded, but demoted (did I not mention I was also demoted at one point for asking too many questions?). Passive-aggression fills the halls where collegial interaction should thrive. The amount of red tape required to get just about anything done is exhausting, slowing progress and removing all incentive for employees at any level to innovate. Success cannot be borne of a 2005 status quo when the world looks a lot different now than it did even 12 months ago.

Honestly this sounds like any and every work related experience I have ever had. There are ****** bags everywhere. There are idiots everywhere. There are no talent j bags everywhere. No need to write a rant about it though - welcome to corporate america.
    07-05-11 07:06 PM

Honestly this sounds like any and every work related experience I have ever had. There are ****** bags everywhere. There are idiots everywhere. There are no talent j bags everywhere. No need to write a rant about it though - welcome to corporate america.
    Well said. Since job trouble is everywhere. Might add, it's not just in america, but Canada too.

07-05-11 07:08 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD