View Poll Results: MINIMUM NUMBER OF POSTS REQUIRED BEFORE ALLOWING BBM GROUP CREATION

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it as it is i.e. 0 posts

3 6.38%
  • Require 10 posts before BBM group creation is allowed

0 0%
  • Require 25 posts before BBM group creation is allowed

15 31.91%
  • Require 100 posts before BBM group creation is allowed

23 48.94%
  • Added: Require 50 Posts before BBM Group creation is allowed

6 12.77%
03-08-11 08:14 PM
55 123
tools
    All good suggestions if we can make the software enforce it.

I would also like to see "Groups" threads expire after maybe 30 days and self-purge. Most of the threads are pointless after that time anyway, either group full or group failed and dead.
    I like the expiry after x days. Might be hard to do though.

What would be very good would be to remove the BBM 5 Groups and Barcode Sharing (f159) from the New Posts, Today's Posts and Today's BB Posts search criteria.

By doing this, people wishing to view BBM Groups need only go directly to their forum to view their threads. Of course insuring that people post in this forum would need to be policed and that duty would (of course) fall to the Moderators.

Can it be done? I hope so.
    03-05-11 05:24 AM
    I think 50 is reasonable too. I can't stand when some pad their post count with stupid posts just to get to 100 so they can sell in the marketplace. I wouldn't buy from them

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-11 06:59 AM
    Let's make it a zen thing and say a minimum of 2000 posts and 3 years. By then, groupies should have achieved enlightenment, and earn the opportunity to partake.

For my serious answer, the same rules as the marketplace maybe should probably apply.
    03-05-11 09:16 AM
    I agree taking out these posts from the new posts, todays post etc is needed also. I do not like wading through them either
    03-05-11 10:55 AM
    Remove the social aspect altogether. Being social is way over rated.

03-05-11 11:06 AM
    Have some thoughts on this topic... will save writing the novel for now, but am thinking we should have a solution in the works soon.
    rrrebo likes this.
    03-05-11 11:07 AM
    Please, just move them out of the New/All/Today Posts link on the mobile site.

03-05-11 11:17 AM
    Have some thoughts on this topic... will save writing the novel for now, but am thinking we should have a solution in the works soon.
    '
    Thank you Kevin. This is what I was hoping would happen.

I look forward to whatever it is you are going to be doing.
    03-05-11 12:04 PM
    I voted for the 100 posts requirement. Separate the boys and girls from the grown folk on here
    03-06-11 01:35 AM
    I concur. 25 posts seems reasonable and the idea of a time frame of 10-15 days also.
    03-06-11 05:12 AM
    I think the best combination is 25 posts and a certain number of days. The idea of 'meaningful' or 'quality' posts, while nice in theory, is just asking for problems. Who defines that and who enforces that?
    03-06-11 04:49 PM
    I like the idea of the 50post / 30 days and I would also like to bring up the idea of putting in a tag or keyword system to filter the creation of new groups. We already have a ton of ex. "Canadian" groups so if the BBM thread included the word Canadian that it would be filtered into other Canadian threads and so forth for other common words used when creating these threads.

Not bashing Canadians (I am one lol) just using that as an example

03-06-11 05:10 PM
    Don't be a [French for shower].
    Learn something new every day...
    03-06-11 08:46 PM
    personally, i think creating a BBMGroup then posting it on an open forum with as many members as we have is plain stupid considering theres a 30 person limit in the group. i mean, i understand wanting to have a group among friends, siblings etc....its a good idea. but asking a bunch of random people on a forum into some rediculous BBM Group (what was it the other day, discussing the Oscars or something).....i mean how lame.
    DawgMan likes this.
    03-07-11 12:18 AM
    I would have to say the 25 post minimum with a certain time frame is pretty fair. This might help with the "Join my BBM group" spam showing up so often.
    03-07-11 01:17 AM
    I like 50 posts/30 days, I also like the self purging aspect if that can be done although it should be "No NEW posts in X days purges the thread"
    03-07-11 08:37 AM
    I think 100 is a bit much. I voted for 50, but I'm thinking 25 now lol.
    03-07-11 05:42 PM
    Originally I voted for 100, but am now thinking 50/30 days

03-07-11 06:05 PM
    Following Kevin's post in this thread, I am pretty sure that something will soon be done. Eaxctly what, I have no idea.

There are certainly technical limitations around this problem but I'm certain that there will be some sort of resolution at some point
    03-07-11 06:34 PM
    I voted for 100 posts simply because the vast majority of these BBM groups are started by people that only come here to start a BBM group. They offer no real value to the forum, they offer no assistance to people seeking advice or a solution to a problem. I'm not opposed to BBM groups, but seriously, make a contibution to the forum first. One person started a group to flirt, today the same person starts another thread in the BBM group forum stating they have enough people to flirt with . There are multiple BBM groups for every ethinic, religious, racial and sexual orientations. In fact, the only BBM group I haven't seen is a BBM group to end all BBM groups. It's really getting ridiculous. Just my two cents...
    dictoresno likes this.
    03-07-11 07:25 PM
    Following Kevin's post in this thread, I am pretty sure that something will soon be done. Eaxctly what, I have no idea.

There are certainly technical limitations around this problem but I'm certain that there will be some sort of resolution at some point
    Since we have limits in other thinks, like the ability to post links, posts not couting in certain sections (social), and the Market Place limits, i'm SURE this is doable. We just need to figure out the best plan. I'm thinking 25 or 50 is the concensus, and 1 month as a member. BUT we'll let Kevin make the ultimate call of course.
    03-07-11 07:45 PM
    I voted for 100 posts simply because the vast majority of these BBM groups are started by people that only come here to start a BBM group. They offer no real value to the forum, they offer no assistance to people seeking advice or a solution to a problem. I'm not opposed to BBM groups, but seriously, make a contibution to the forum first. One person started a group to flirt, today the same person starts another thread in the BBM group forum stating they have enough people to flirt with . There are multiple BBM groups for every ethinic, religious, racial and sexual orientations. In fact, the only BBM group I haven't seen is a BBM group to end all BBM groups. It's really getting ridiculous. Just my two cents...
    i couldnt agree more. like the guy that came here and had two posts, making BBM group requests in the general forum. not to mention, his ONLY "contibution" to this forum were those BBM group threads. useless contributor, useless groups.
    03-07-11 11:16 PM
    Since we have limits in other thinks, like the ability to post links, posts not couting in certain sections (social), and the Market Place limits, i'm SURE this is doable. We just need to figure out the best plan. I'm thinking 25 or 50 is the concensus, and 1 month as a member. BUT we'll let Kevin make the ultimate call of course.
    I really like the 1 month as a member rule.

It seems to me that many groups are created spontaneously just "because we can". The poor spelling and grammar in both the initial post and often the group title seem to bear this out. The one month member rule would stop this immediately.
    03-08-11 01:04 PM
    +1 on the idea of requiring a month as a member PLUS some number of posts. I suspect that would really cut down on the volume. Also would be interesting to know some of the CB activity stats of the folks who start BBM groups -- that is, do they also typically contribute in other parts of the site or are they only on CB to fish for BBM groups? I have nothing at all against BBM groups per se, especially when they're in the dedicated social/BBM part of the site, just the volume of junk that they create in other areas.
    03-08-11 02:27 PM
    +1 on the idea of requiring a month as a member PLUS some number of posts. I suspect that would really cut down on the volume. Also would be interesting to know some of the CB activity stats of the folks who start BBM groups -- that is, do they also typically contribute in other parts of the site or are they only on CB to fish for BBM groups? I have nothing at all against BBM groups per se, especially when they're in the dedicated social/BBM part of the site, just the volume of junk that they create in other areas.
    I think 1 month membership plus 100 posts will prove a bit draconian. BBM Groups have a place and clearly fulfil a need so I do not want to stop them being created entirely.

I actually am coming down to thinking that 1 month plus 10 - 25 posts and only in the BBM forums (which should not count towards posts) will do the trick.

Additionally if the BBM Groups are stopped from showing up in the New Posts, Today's Posts and Today's BB Posts search criteria then I think the look and readability of our pages will be greatly improved.

In other words, if you want BBM Groups, go to the BBM / PIN sharing forum.
    03-08-11 03:14 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD