Sorry, I know this is "another one of those" questions/topic, but most of the answers I've found seem outdated or not quite clear due to specific conditions (and some are just confusing)...wondering if things may have changed over the years. Plus, this is my first smartphone/PDA...or whatever.

Okay, I have an Unlimited Data plan w/ AT&T, but limited texting per month. Obviously, I'm looking for a way to chat (other than BBM) on my BB without using up my SMS, MMS, or "IM" allowance.

I just wanted to confirm that the RIM Windows Live Messenger and RIM Google Talk that I downloaded from BB App World uses Data and not SMS. I just installed the app a few days ago. So far, no IM charges show up on my bill/usage, but in this world you never know when there'll be sudden surprises. Am I safe?

The way I understand it, the only way to be charged as IM is if one uses the built in app that came with the phone preloaded(?) by the wireless provider (though I never saw one on my phone when I bought it)...their little trick to making you opt for their unlimited texting plan?

Thanks.
    03-30-10 10:36 AM
    Regular Google Talk on your bb uses data so I would assume that these programs operate the same way. They should come out of your unlimited data allowance for the month as opposed to SMS allowance.
    03-30-10 11:42 AM
    I've been using the official Google Talk client for Blackberry for over a year. It counts as data, I have never seen it count toward SMS on my AT&T bill.
    03-30-10 11:50 AM
    That's great to know! I'll assume its the same for WLM, too, and/or report back in a few days with my experience.
    Thanks, guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD