Ok, I got a new 8GB SDHC card, loaded up a single playlist (about 3GB) via Media Sync and tested it out. I closed everything else except the 5 apps that remain open. I even closed Media Player itself so that only Now Playing was open.

And *still* the songs will skip/stutter, 2-3 or more times per song! I notice that it usually doesn't happen at first (maybe the first two or three songs). Perhaps by coincidence, this is also about the time I go underground to the subway. Is there any relation to being underground (i.e. with no signal) and the songs skipping?

Otherwise, I just don't know what else to do. The songs play fine on my iPod, so I don't think it's the songs. They skipped on a different SD card, so I don't think it's the card. I have 32MB of free memory on the device itself, which seems like plenty.

::sigh::
    08-01-08 04:58 PM
    It may not just be a coincidence that you have the problem when you go underground. If your phone is searching for a signal, it may cause your media player to skip... at least that's my best educated guesstimate.

How about an experiment? Turn off the radio the next time you head underground so your phone isn't searching for a signal. See if it still stutters...?
    08-01-08 05:03 PM
    It may not just be a coincidence that you have the problem when you go underground. If your phone is searching for a signal, it may cause your media player to skip... at least that's my best educated guesstimate.

How about an experiment? Turn off the radio the next time you head underground so your phone isn't searching for a signal. See if it still stutters...?
    Not a bad theory. Although actually once I'm out of the subway and walking to work, I think it still does it.
    Last edited by JohnJSal; 08-01-08 at 10:05 PM.
    08-01-08 10:00 PM
    Have you tried listening to the music files on your computer? Maybe its the way they were ripped.
    Also, I can see how losing signal might cause the phone to pause while trying to look for signal.
    Have you tried listening to your music on the phone when not on the subway?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-08 11:38 PM
    Yes, the songs are fine. The problem is too consistent for it to be the songs themselves. The other option could be that they are somehow being transferred incorrectly, but I wouldn't know how to check that, except by transferring them in a different method, but I don't know how. I tried using the Desktop Manager but that didn't seem to work.
    08-02-08 12:00 AM
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but anybody resolve this issue? Same thing for me. Was working fine for 2 years, then music decided to start stuttering. I didn't change any hardware or software when it started (AFAIK). Running OS 4.5.0.110 on a Curve 8320.
    05-11-10 10:47 AM
    Do you have bad reception when you get skips? Phone in pocket maybe?
    I know searching for a signal destroys your battery life and eats up what your phone can handle (for me at least). I just turn my radio off in some places.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 11:20 AM
    Skipping/stuttering music means a bad media card. You can try copying the music over to your computer, then reformatting the card in the BlackBerry and copying the music back and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, it's time for a new card.
    05-11-10 11:43 AM
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but anybody resolve this issue? Same thing for me. Was working fine for 2 years, then music decided to start stuttering. I didn't change any hardware or software when it started (AFAIK). Running OS 4.5.0.110 on a Curve 8320.
    It's been a while since I've used my phone as a music player, but I do think the problem was the searching for signal. It doesn't skip when I'm above ground (as opposed to in the subway, which was when I was getting the problem).
    05-12-10 12:40 AM
    Aha - thanks for the advice! What a nice surprise to Google the issue again and find myself and new replies (thought auto-subscribe was enabled...guess not.)

Anyway, I do sometimes travel underground and have tried switching the radio off above and below ground. No help. Moon - I suspected the card but your idea of reformatting is a great no-cost way to test it. Worst case, 8 or 16GB cards aren't all that expensive these days...still scares me that they can fit 32GB on something the size of half a postage stamp...
    05-21-10 12:50 PM
    In my opinion nothing to do with the media card or radio reception. I too travel by underground but had my phone playing perfectly for months before I started commuting. You know how a loud noise, like say a car door slamming, will stop your track dead, well surprise surprise, the change in pressure below ground also affects the microphone too, after all, sound is pressure waves. With the additional of tannoys and general background chatter, I find tracks which play perfectly at home, go do-lally when underground. What I guess you need are headphones with the mic switched off (don't kno how you do that), or replace your headphones for standard ones (However I have played with a couple of substitute headphones, and the volume sucks. You just can't win
    10-13-11 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD