Just got a torch 9800 and a couple of things are driving me nuts. I dont want my phone to check my email and download it. I only want the email when I check it. Same goes for facebook I only want it when I go check it
    01-24-12 07:45 AM
    There is no way that I know of to set a Blackberry to pull your email, they are always on and push the email.

In the Facebook app you can turn off Notifications within the options of the app. I'm not sure if this will stop notifications full stop, even when you go into the app itself and check.
    01-24-12 10:06 AM
    I dont want my phone to check my email and download it. I only want the email when I check it.
    Remove your email from the BIS setup and download and install LogicMail instead. You can set that to manually check your email only when you want it to.
    01-24-12 02:49 PM
    I am glad I got this phone for free it doesnt do what I want it to
    01-24-12 04:03 PM
    I went into the facebook app and turn off notification and I still get them. I guess the only way to do what I want is to not use the phone for email or facebook. I dont want email using bandwidth when I rarely use my phone for email.
    01-24-12 04:06 PM
    Log on to Facebook from the PC and set all notifications to off from their and that should stop notifications coming through on your phone.
    01-24-12 06:36 PM
    Hi,

First off all, go to Facebook options and read carefully the explanations.
    You can turn all notification off from the app. This way you will only get the messages sent directly to you.

For email, don't set up a mail account that you use for spam mail, e.g. the one that you use to register on web sites. Use a mail that you actually use for comunicating with colegues and friends.
    In both cases, push is way better than pull. This way you use traffic only when there is something sent to you, compared to the pull method when you use traffic for manually checking and downloading the items.

Note that the traffic between your phone and RIM servers is compressed. Usually, 100MB per month is enough for reading mails and chatting. If you want to watch streaming videos, it will be better to use a wifi connection while you are doing this.

Sent from my Playbook
    Barljo likes this.
    01-24-12 07:27 PM
    I just deleted my email accounts. I turned all notification off in facebook but for some reason I still have one that wont go away. I had a choice between this and a windows 7 phone I made the wrong choice going to see if I can still get the other phone.
    01-25-12 08:14 AM
    I cannot get fb notifications to stop no matter what I do, so I just stay logged out of the app and use mobile. I would just get rid of the app because I like mobile better, however I do use the app when I want to send pics from my phone. I have to login each time I send pics and the logout before the flood of notifications, but I don't send them every day or anything so that's what works best for me.
    01-29-12 01:41 PM
    Still get ton of notification and would like them to stop checked the app and notification is unchecked
    02-15-12 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD