i edited the whole thing, i guess after seeing all the posts i find this thread a squander of time. i wanna again remind its not about losing my bb but i was worried about identity theft but its true it often happens now-a-days. thanks for viewing the thread anyway!
    Last edited by strawberry007; 07-27-11 at 05:06 AM.
    07-25-11 08:35 PM
    you will need to call your carrier and RIM with your PIN and have them blacklist it.
    07-25-11 08:40 PM
    Sorry for your loss.

This thread is bound to get shut down, though because CrackBerry isn't going to participate in the harassment of anyone.

Sorry.
    07-25-11 08:40 PM
    are you serious? oh yes sometimes online stories can be lies. i understand if you want to remove my thread. just so you know, i wasnt trying to request for a harrassment. losing my phone wasnt a big deal. finding that the thief is using my identity is really an abuse if you think it the other way, thanks for going through my post anyway!
    Last edited by strawberry007; 07-25-11 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    07-25-11 08:46 PM
    @fubaz

as i said i live in a 3rd world country. my phone is unlocked. i use BIS through my prepaid sim which the thief already threw away. the carrier or rim cant help me.
    07-25-11 08:48 PM
    Sorry about your phone. It sucks when that happens.
    Hopefully you can get it back. Or offer him a lot of money, meet up with him and get a license plate number of his car (assuming he has a car) so maybe the police can do something about it. Not sure if they would.
    07-25-11 08:53 PM
    police cant do anything. i couldnt track him using bb protect gps. i bbm'd him i would pay him a lot of money. he wouldnt reply. i dont want my phone back, i will be happy if he wont use my bbm and my pictures.
    07-25-11 08:56 PM
    That sucks. Well unless it gets blacklisted, there's not a lot you can do.
    07-25-11 08:57 PM
    you will need to call your carrier and RIM with your PIN and have them blacklist it.
    RIM nor the carriers will do that. You're on your own in those cases. Before, you used to be be able to tie up your BIS account and as long as you never changed the PIN nobody could use it. You just had to create a new BIS accnt with your new PIN after you got one. Now though -- those days are gone with the newer BIS services.
    07-25-11 08:58 PM
    Sorry about your phone. It sucks when that happens.
    Hopefully you can get it back. Or offer him a lot of money, meet up with him and get a license plate number of his car (assuming he has a car) so maybe the police can do something about it. Not sure if they would.
    When my brother lost his phone the police weren't any help. I think it becomes an issue of proving who owns the phone and stuff like that. But I'd make him a generous offer for the phones return. Then bring some friends when you meet him and take it back. If anything happens, you'll be legally protected because you were recovering your property. So you could use whatever amount of violence that you feel is necessary without fear of prosecution.
    07-25-11 10:07 PM
    When my brother lost his phone the police weren't any help. I think it becomes an issue of proving who owns the phone and stuff like that. But I'd make him a generous offer for the phones return. Then bring some friends when you meet him and take it back. If anything happens, you'll be legally protected because you were recovering your property. So you could use whatever amount of violence that you feel is necessary without fear of prosecution.
    Not sure how the law works there, but the law here is much different. Violence is not the way to go no matter what.
    I'm going to say cut your losses and get a new phone if you can. I don't mean that to sound rude at all. But it's not worth you or anyone else getting hurt over.
    Alberta Blue likes this.
    07-25-11 10:10 PM
    This is the worst advice EVER!

The guy stole your phone. You show up with 3 friends and he pulls a knife or gun then what. If the police can't help you, you're best to go through insurance or get a cheap phone from Ebay.
    07-25-11 10:29 PM
    He could size him up once he get there. If the other guy pulls out a knife or gun then I'd just let him have it. But he could act friendly and pretend like he'll pay up until he get the phone. Then he could say it's his phone and he's not paying. At that point the other guy would be the aggressor if he tried to take the phone back. So anything that happens would be covered under self defense because the OP is the rightful owner.
    07-26-11 12:41 AM
    Just call your carrier, tell them your BlackBerry was stolen and have them blacklist the device. As I understand, RIM will also blacklist the device and it will then be useless.

You said you don't use the lock: let this be a lesson, especially since you have now lost 2 BlackBerrys, to use the lock AND lower the auto wipes security setting for maybe 3 or 4 missed attempts.

Sorry to hear of your loss, but you have to do your part to secure your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-11 07:33 AM
    Use the lock on your next device. Sorry but your data and pics are there for the guy to keep. I lost one while in Europe and didn't use the lock, but I was also able to have Sprint shut down my BIS service, then when I got a new phone re-enable my account and change my PIN to the new phone. I wouldn't think the protect would ask the user to confirm, I think it is asking you to confirm. Also asking people to harass someone by PIN for a story that may or not be true (don't believe everything on the Internets). For all we know this could be a scam to get PINs to start spamming messages to. Anyway better luck with your next phone.
    07-26-11 08:46 AM
    I don't know what's worse, the OP harrassing the thief or that members are suggesting him to confront the thief?

Seriously don't risk confronting guy b/c you have no clue the type of person he is. A knife? You never considered he might have a gun? I mean the dude does sound like a psycho. Yea, like he really seriously give a damn if a ton of people keeping messaging him. He's probably laughing about the whole thing and had the phone turned off.

Call your carrier and deactivate your account. End of story! A lesson learned so just move forward and protect yourself better next time. Its not worth the risk!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by noized77; 07-26-11 at 12:10 PM.
    07-26-11 12:07 PM
    Sounds fishy to me!
    07-26-11 12:24 PM
    When my brother lost his phone the police weren't any help. I think it becomes an issue of proving who owns the phone and stuff like that. .
    Has nothing to do with that at all. A quick call to your WSP would show you an ESN or an IMEI and you'd be able to prove that the stolen phone was yours.

It has everything to do with the lack of manpower. If you take every single person who misplaces their phone or gets one stolen every day and have them all go to the PD to file a report, nothing would get done. I can't tell you how many reports I took as a dispatcher and as a court clerk for lost or stolen phones. It got so bad that the cops would have us (dispatchers/court clerks) take the information down, write up the report and have the detectives sign off on it.

Unless someone walks into the PD and says "Hey! Here's a phone I jacked from Mr. Whatever now arrest me!" nothing will be done. These days, identity theft isn't taken seriously because it happens so much. Bunch of jerks stole my checkbook years ago and wrote checks to the utility offices to establish new connections last year. The cops have their addresses but did the jerks get arrested? No. Sucks, but welcome to the real world.

As everyone else has suggested, cut your losses and get a new phone. Unless you have a death wish or are suicidal, don't meet whoever has your phone. It's not worth it.
    07-26-11 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD