08-18-10 03:30 AM
64 123
tools
    Here is the story:
    1) I downgraded from v 862 to 680 as someone told me that the reception on 681 is better.
    2) I downgraded to 681 , it was fine and the reception was good but I noticed that I lost BB Messenger (latest version).
    3) I downloaded BB Messenger (latest version) then I restarted but I cant find BB Messenger.
    4) I thought that version 681 is not compatible with the latest version of BB Messenger so I reupgraded to 862 (complete wipe)
    5) 862 had the old BB Messenger 5.0.0 so I downloaded the latest version then it restarted my device but nada... I cant find BB MEssenger anywhere...I am using the default theme and dont even have any other themese installed....
    Someone help me install the latest version of BB Messenger please
    Last edited by Matrix Leader; 08-16-10 at 02:56 PM.
    08-16-10 02:51 PM
    You've already been given the reason and answer to your problem in every thread you've posted this question...
    but I'll explain it again

All OS builds now have BBM embedded as a Core App, and this version is probably lower than the one you're trying to install.

The only way to upgrade BBM is to firstly downgrade to a lower version BBM than is embedded in the OS.

This will now place BBM in the Add-On section of your Application List, where it can easily be deleted.

Now with BBM completely removed from your device, you can go ahead and install your latest version

There is a another method, by just simply removing all the BBM cod files from the Java folder prior to updating your OS...
    then installing the new version
    08-16-10 03:08 PM
    See now I already have 862 OS installed and NO BBM...... what is my next step?
    08-16-10 03:10 PM
    Phil....where are you mate?
    08-16-10 03:38 PM
    just go to BlackBerry Messenger, download and install.
    08-16-10 03:44 PM
    See now I already have 862 OS installed and NO BBM...... what is my next step?
    So, in Options > Applications > Core you have no BBM app showing?
    08-16-10 04:11 PM
    OP,
    Why did you create a new thread and why did you not answer my app switcher question in your other thread?

Yes it is there Phil. As we both know, BBM is installed by default as a Core app unless as you hinted towards earlier the OP has managed to tweak COD files.

No matter what version comes in any OS, the one at m.blackberry.com will over write it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by shansmi; 08-16-10 at 04:14 PM.
    08-16-10 04:11 PM
    So, in Options > Applications > Core you have no BBM app showing?
    Precisely, there is no BBM App showing

But the strange thing is, when you go to the website BlackBerry Messenger to download it it says 5.0.XX already exists...replace?

so if it exists...where on earth is it?

someone heeeeeeeelp
    Last edited by Matrix Leader; 08-16-10 at 04:25 PM.
    08-16-10 04:19 PM
    OP,
    Why did you create a new thread and why did you not answer my app switcher question in your other thread?

Yes it is there Phil. As we both know, BBM is installed by default as a Core app unless as you hinted towards earlier the OP has managed to tweak COD files.

No matter what version comes in any OS, the one at m.blackberry.com will over write it.

WHO ARE YOU to ask me why did I create a thread??! I want to create a thread to mention detailed info of MY specific problem! So mind your own business and if you have nothing useful to share then don't enter other people's threadS!
    08-16-10 04:21 PM
    Precisely, there is no BBM App showing

Post a screen capture. I still do not think you are in the right place.

08-16-10 04:24 PM
    WHO ARE YOU to ask me why did I create a thread??! I want to create a thread to mention detailed info of MY specific problem! So mind your own business and if you have nothing useful to share then don't enter other people's threadS!

Hey bud. Maybe you should read the forum rules about double posting. You confirmed some people are just not worth helping. Good luck. Talk nice to Phil and maybe he will continue helping you.

08-16-10 04:25 PM
    Post a screen capture. I still do not think you are in the right place.

No I am in the right place i'm not a n00b..... I went to teh core applications
    08-16-10 04:30 PM
    Hey bud. Maybe you should read the forum rules about double posting. You confirmed some people are just not worth helping. Good luck. Talk nice to Phil and maybe he will continue helping you.

Yeah Phil actually knows what he's talking about here and you're not a mod to tell me what to do....

SUE ME!!! MWUAHAHAHH
    08-16-10 04:30 PM
    I really could care less if your stuff works or not. Obviously it's there and hidden or you would not be getting that error. This ASSuMEs your OS roll was error free. The app switcher would at least show if it's running and pull it up when selected if it is but you for some reason refuse to even try this simple task.

08-16-10 04:35 PM
    No app switcher results? If it's installed, its running or trying to run. If BBM is not in the app switcher then it failing to run for some reason and most likely cranking out logs in the event log.

Last edited by shansmi; 08-16-10 at 04:47 PM.
    08-16-10 04:45 PM
    Yeah Phil actually knows what he's talking about here...
    LOL. I have no idea what I'm talking about... I just make it up as I go along, but I do sound convincing

Seriously though, I don't even use BBM and I'm kinda out of my depth now with this one.

You should apologise, and listen to Shansmi... because he does know what he's talking about
    08-16-10 04:46 PM
    Anyone else happy his messenger isn't working and don't really want to help him?
    08-16-10 04:47 PM
    No app switcher results? If it's installed, its running or trying to run. If BBM is not in the app switcher then it failing to run for some reason and most likely cranking out logs in the event log.

Not there in app switcher or in application center
    08-16-10 04:48 PM
    Gee wally. That's mind boggling. You rolled your OS and I assume that was error free with no errors on boot? As Phil said by default it should be under Core but once you install BBM over the default, it goes to add-on.

You have tweaked no COD files manually or with something like shrink-a-os right?

Give me a min to switch back to a default theme. I wanna see where she is hidden.

------------

I just switched to the default Zen theme. BBM is in the Instant Messaging folder by default. I think I read that you see that folder an its empty.

Be back in a minute with a solution. Go ahead and install BBSAK or something similar to your liking.

Last edited by shansmi; 08-16-10 at 04:59 PM.
    08-16-10 04:54 PM
    Take backups via BBSAK and the DM before doing this.

Use BBSAK or CrakUtil to remove these COD files(you can save them off first if you like):

net_rim_bb_qm_peer.cod
    net_rim_bb_qm_peer_lib.cod
    net_rim_bb_qm_lib_barcode.cod
    net_rim_bb_qm_api.cod
    net_rim_bb_qm_peer_resource_en.cod
    net_rim_bbgroup_database.cod
    net_rim_bbgroup_lib.cod
    net_rim_bbgroup_calendar.cod
    net_rim_bbgroup_inbox.cod
    net_rim_bbgroup_lists.cod
    net_rim_bbgroup_messaging.cod
    net_rim_bbgroup_photos.cod

Now after this if you select them all at once and delete them, the device will reboot and come up without BBM. Now install off m.blackberry.com > where to by (at the top) > downloads (at the bottom) > instant messaging >> BBM. at this point you should get no message about replacing BBM. I forget which one, but there are only 10 files for BBM but for some reason the BB.alx file lists 11.
    08-16-10 05:04 PM
    Gee wally. That's mind boggling. You rolled your OS and I assume that was error free with no errors on boot? As Phil said by default it should be under Core but once you install BBM over the default, it goes to add-on.

You have tweaked no COD files manually or with something like shrink-a-os right?

Give me a min to switch back to a default theme. I wanna see where she is hidden.

------------

I just switched to the default Zen theme. BBM is in the Instant Messaging folder by default. I think I read that you see that folder an its empty.

Be back in a minute with a solution. Go ahead and install BBSAK or something similar to your liking.

Nope, I didn't. BBM was working fine (latest version) when I had OS 862 before....when I downgraded to 681 it disappeared....when I reupgraded to 862 it was doing this and never installing properly...

862 came with BBM 5.0.0 and WAS working and was under the instant messaging folder then when I upgraded to the new BBM the phone restarded and it was no where to be found...

and no...I did not modify the OS or anything..

do u think I should try reinstalling the OS?
    08-16-10 05:08 PM
    Not yet. Are you ok with manually deleting COD files? Just double and triple check what you have selected for removal. We're in the guts of your phone now. Delete the wrong things and it will require a reload of the OS. Everything I mention above is specific to BBM taken right from an 862 blackberry.alx file (stepped away from my BB to get the info off my laptop).

Last edited by shansmi; 08-16-10 at 05:18 PM.
    08-16-10 05:15 PM
    Not yet. Are you ok with manually deleting COD files? Just double and triple check what you have selected for removal. We're in the guts of your phone now. Delete the wrong things and it will require a reload of the OS. Everything I mention above is specific to BBM taken right from an 862 blackberry.alx file (stepped away from my BB to get the info off my laptop).

Please elaborate more as I am not familiar with deleting COD files now do I know where to start from...
    08-16-10 05:30 PM
    Oh. Look a few posts up where I note the files. When using BBSAK, select the Modify CODs tab and then hit the Read System button. On the right a list of all COD files on your device will appear. Use the CTRL key to select more than one file. Once you have all the BBM files selected, save them then delete them via the Save COD(s) and Remove COD(s) buttons. After the removal, the device will reset and come up without BBM. Now you can re-install BBM error free. If it hangs after the install at "app installed successfully - ok", use the app switcher to select the browser. This should get ya going.

08-16-10 05:46 PM
    Oh. Look a few posts up where I note the files. When using BBSAK, select the Modify CODs tab and then hit the Read System button. On the right a list of all COD files on your device will appear. Use the CTRL key to select more than one file. Once you have all the BBM files selected, save them then delete them via the Save COD(s) and Remove COD(s) buttons. After the removal, the device will reset and come up without BBM. Now you can re-install BBM error free. If it hangs after the install at "app installed successfully - ok", use the app switcher to select the browser. This should get ya going.

Can you guide me to where I can get this BBSAK from? I dont even know whats this stand for
    08-16-10 06:19 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD