Here's an interesting article on RIM from a Twitter feed. It touches on the Mike Lazaridis interview and talks about RIM vs Apple investment wise and of course RIM's future with QNX. Enjoy!

Long live RIM | CanadianBusiness.com
    jinxednuance and sf49ers like this.
    05-20-11 12:05 AM
    When, on April 12, Research In Motion co-CEO Mike Lazaridis abruptly ended an interview with BBC technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones after the journalist suggested RIM had a security problem in the United Arab Emirates with its BlackBerry devices, the reaction from the tech media was swift, decisive and not entirely unfamiliar.
    Stressed and defensive, said The Economic Times. A breakdown, offered Ryan Vetter, in a column for Business Insider. One more in a string of embarrassing public displays, wrote John Paczkowski of All Things Digital.
    To a certain class of pundit, Research In Motion is already a dinosaur. The Waterloo tech giant, which made its name by practically inventing the smartphone category, sells products that to some seemed antiquated compared to slicker iPhones, iPads and Android devices. But all is not lost for RIM. Its obsession with making its devices secure now shows extended vision, given recent high-profile security gaffes from industry leader Amazon, Apple and Sony. And RIM is hardly floundering financially; the global mobile player is in outstanding fiscal shape. Marked for extinction by many, RIM itself is preparing for evolution instead.
    Research In Motion was once the darling of not only Bay Street, but Wall Street, too. The company, however, has seen moral support dwindle rapidly south of the border. In the week preceding May 3, after warning that Q1 2011 revenue would be on the lower end of previous guidance, RIM was downgraded en masse by U.S. analysts. And cracks have begun to appear north of the 49th parallel; GMP Securities analyst Michael Urlocker downgraded Research In Motion on April 21, saying it risked becoming a value trapa stock that looks cheap but isnt because its prospects are diminishing. Even longtime supporter Mike Abramsky of RBC Capital downgraded the stock from his Top Pick to Sector Perform.
    Its hard to ignore that RIMs transformation into an also-ran occurred alongside Apples stunning and sustained resurgence. On Jan. 9, 2007, the very day Apple proposed the existence of the iPhone, RIM shares fell nearly 8%, from $47.39 to $43.67 (all figures US$). Between July 11, 2008, when the iPhone 3G preloaded with the Apple App store was released, and Jan. 22, 2011, when the ten-billionth app was downloaded, shares of RIM fell from $109.79 to $61.55.
    Comparisons between RIM and Apple are commonplace. Nervy analysts these days are just as likely to set RIM against beleaguered mobile pioneer Palm. Palms Palm Pilot popularized the personal digital assistant, or PDA. Released in 1996, the device effectively launched an industry that ultimately morphed into the devices we see today. But for numerous reasons, many related to a seemingly endless string of spinoffs and corporate restructurings, Palm lost its way and failed to jump on the lucrative opportunity of combining an electronic organizer with a cellular phone. Palms misstep, at least in part, opened the door for RIM, whose BlackBerry debuted in 1999. Palm was ultimately acquired by HP for a fraction of the value it once commanded.
    In a recent interview with Forbes, Rob Enderle of the Enderle Group said RIM started out as a much-loved enterprise product, but that market has changed to one that is more consumer-driven in that the business line managers are more inclined to make IT decisions. His conclusion about RIM? They are trending to be the next Palm.
    Others, however, say the RIM-Palm comparison doesnt really stand up to examination. Saj Karsan, who operates the popular value investing site BarelKarsan.com, says that Palms lack of profitability was its demise, as the company had to constantly finance and dilute its stock to fund R&D. RIM, on the other hand, has no debt, and sits on more than $2 billion of cash. And RIM is not just healthy compared to Palm, it actually betters companies that are currently thriving. In the trailing 12 months, Research In Motions average return on equity is 38%. By comparison, Google, Microsoft and Exxon generated returns on equity of just over 20%.
    Karsan suspects that Research In Motion has been a victim of a phenomenon he sees often as a value investor: confirmation bias, the tendency to selectively place undue importance on items that confirm ones original opinion. In this case, he suggests, the market is negative on RIM, so it is focusing on any negative that it can find.
    Casual observers might be surprised to learn of the companys astonishing growth over the past three years. Between fiscal 2008 and 2011, RIMs top-line revenue more than tripled, from just over $6 billion to nearly $20 billion. Of course, this number is less than a third of the $65 billion that Apple posted in fiscal 2010. But dig a little deeper into the books of both companies and a curious stat stands out. In the most recent fiscal year, Apple spent $1.78 billion on research and development, a number equal to 2.73% of its top line. In contrast, RIM has been much more R&D intensive; the $1.35 billion it spent on R&D in the last fiscal year was 6.78% of its total revenue.
    So what is RIM up to with all this spending? Paradigm Capital analyst Barry Richards sees evidence of a sea change at RIM that is punctuated by 14 recent acquisitions, including last years snagging of highly regarded QNX Software, which makes operating systems used in mission critical environments such as high-speed trains and nuclear power plants. QNX is now expected to become nothing less than the default operating system for all BlackBerry devices.
    According to Richards, the QNX deal is huge. The future of Research In Motion lies in that platform. Richards says he is particularly encouraged by RIMs recent moves because they have all focused on areas of homegrown weaknesses. Richardss target price for RIM is $72, or, as he points out just 10 times this years earnings per share, a valuation he calls ridiculous.
    The acquisition of QNX was another in a series of RIM moves that had tech geeks buzzing. Navneet Alang, a writer for the Techi website, agrees, saying, Blackberry have suddenly got a lot of talent for creating a successor to their clunky and old-fashionedif eminently practicalBlackberry OS. Richards believes RIMs new PlayBook tablet, which also operates on the QNX architecture, takes RIM back to its roots in secure data for enterprises.
    Indeed, a growing amount of evidence suggests that mobile security could be the issue that slowly levels the playing field between RIM and the more tony Android and Apple devices. In April, security researchers discovered that the location-based services in Apples iOS 4+ devices, including the iPhone, had been collecting comprehensive and detailed information on their users location in an unencrypted file. Apple is now facing at least one class-action lawsuit from two men.
    Concerns about Apples mobile security are popping up with increasing regularity. Daniel Hoffman, chief technology officer at SMobile Systems, says the iPad suffers from the same weak encryption issues that plagued the iPhone.
    All of this explains why Lazaridis got huffy when the integrity of RIMs security was challenged. While some say his mid-interview claim that RIM was being singled out was mere sour grapes, the idea has more than a little merit, says analyst Carmi Levy of IT Business. Other vendorsIm looking at you, Appleget a free ride, he says, adding parenthetically, OK, who are we kidding? Traffic on iPhones and other smartphone platforms is so relatively easy to pick off that its safe to assume that governments are already monitoring them.
    In a recent year-end summary, The Wall Street Journals Andrew Dowell called 2010 The Year of the App. Will security concerns make 2011 The Year of Mobile Security? IT-focused Baseline magazine thinks so. Baseline named mobile security as the top tech trend of the year, saying the rise of cloud computing, social networking and mobile computing will converge to bring heightened awareness and spending to the space.
    With a strong balance sheet, a robust and powerful new operating system and a global smartphone market that is growing at a frenetic pace, rumours of RIMs demise may, as Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis insist, be greatly exaggerated. In the meantime, tech investors looking to identify the next killer app might be surprised to find that apps in general are fast being overshadowed by more menacing security concerns. To the great favour of Research In Motion, 2011 will almost certainly be more about encryption, and less about Angry Birds.

Text of the story.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 02:14 AM
    Excellent read, Thanks for the post. It very hard to disagree but I'm sure some will try.
    05-20-11 12:03 PM
    RIM is just having some down time and will come back when they get some new hardware into the carrier's hands. I still think the Playbook will be lucky to break even for them and wish they would get back to making handsets!
    05-20-11 12:15 PM
    It's rather ridiculous seeing so many 'analysts' bash RIM stocks. As this article illustrates, financially RIM is extremely sound. They have made good business decisions and are now in a transition period to shift over to QNX. Many users have switch to Apple or Android because they were using very old handsets. I think that with the OS7 devices and going forward, people will start to come back. Besides, so many of these analysts look only at the North American market. Just think globally about the number of users using BBM at this very minute!
    05-20-11 01:25 PM
    I completely agree. This was an excellent read, well written, researched, and it has the Facts listed. I find that any article with facts (Both for AND against my ideas) is a Great read.

This is the type of writing I would expect from an actual journalist. This Gentleman deserves more exposure, as his writing is Top Notch.

05-20-11 01:39 PM
    I do like how there is a lot of security, that is one thing RIM has always done good and I hope that it continues.

05-20-11 03:30 PM
    That was a really good read. Are the security issues they talked about the ones where the government was made they couldn't get at people's information? I don't see how that's a security issue really, unless we have terrorists ploting things on BBM that the government would like to know about. But if they were interested in certain people information go to the court and you can get at it. I love the security offered by RIM and will continue for many more years.

05-21-11 01:07 AM
    RIM is just having some down time and will come back when they get some new hardware into the carrier's hands. I still think the Playbook will be lucky to break even for them and wish they would get back to making handsets!
    I think you are severely underestimating how well the playbook will do for them and that is even before you consider that it also simplifies the process that leads to qnx on phones all the while they are helping to establish themselves in a new area of the market.

You have the wifi-only version to start with so you avoid having to carry out carrier certifications and get developers started developing on the new platform, next you have the 3g/4g versions that get the integration of the radio and qnx code out of the way along with some other things with less of a deadline and then when it comes to the handsets their main remaining issues will be optimising the os for a smaller screen and the battery life for a smaller device.
    05-21-11 08:46 AM
    very good balanced and well researched article.

Never knew RIMM spends over $1bn on R&D. Impressive!
    05-21-11 08:20 PM
    That's right long live RIM. I think they will be okay in due time. They'll just need to stick with what they're good at and make some improvements to keep up with Apple and Android.
    05-21-11 08:39 PM
    Well written. I'll remember it next time I de-virus and de-spyware my buddy's evo.
    05-23-11 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD