Remember when some countries were trying to ban BBM and they wanted the same access western countries have?

Well, London riots just prove that the west doesn't have a backdoor after all and BBM is as secure as ever.

Just wanted to make a point.
    08-10-11 04:06 AM
    I'm in uk on the news last night RIM were helping uk police, and blocked bbm for 48 hours in uk.
    My sister tried using it and got the message bbm blocked for 48 hours, that was last night i tried this morning and its working !
    08-10-11 04:56 AM
    Strange, I've seen a few short (few minutes) outages but only in one direction at a time, and some delayed delivery notifications but no blocking. My feeling was more towards network congestion or a technical issue at the server. Messages within UK were less hit than UK-USA so there was no suspicion of deliberate blocking.
    08-10-11 05:46 AM
    Absolutely not outtage across the channel in NI so maybe it was just congestion.

Either way, it's obvious UK can't monitor BBM and USA no doubt is the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 05:54 AM
    I am in the UK and was able to use BBM fine, although I had to delete and re-add one contact as messages were getting stuck.

I've not seen any media reports of it being suspended, although the Mayor of London's 'digital advisor' suggested it should be.
    08-10-11 06:27 AM
    Remember when some countries were trying to ban BBM and they wanted the same access western countries have?

Well, London riots just prove that the west doesn't have a backdoor after all and BBM is as secure as ever.

Just wanted to make a point.
    Or it could be that they do have a 'back door' but don't want to reveal it for what is a relatively 'trivial' matter - or at the very least one that would be hard to prevent even with information. When hundreds of people are meeting up and can rearrange their plans very quickly (because the only 'plan' is meet up, smash things) there isn't much you can do.

If governments are able to intercept BBM, I suspect it'd be more useful to do so to get information about highly organised attacks, such as 9/11 and 7/7. They're unlikely to reveal that the can hack BBM - assuming they can - for something like what we've seen over the last few nights.

Coventry Blitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    john_v likes this.
    08-10-11 06:55 AM
    I've been watching bbc news 24 live covering the riots/looting across the country live and they were talking to a top london cop he said RIM were helping uk police and put a 48 hours blockage on bbm but like i said i can use it my sister can't its says bbm blocked for 48 hours just wierd she's uk too !
    08-10-11 07:24 AM
    Or it could be that they do have a 'back door' but don't want to reveal it for what is a relatively 'trivial' matter - or at the very least one that would be hard to prevent even with information. When hundreds of people are meeting up and can rearrange their plans very quickly (because the only 'plan' is meet up, smash things) there isn't much you can do.

If governments are able to intercept BBM, I suspect it'd be more useful to do so to get information about highly organised attacks, such as 9/11 and 7/7. They're unlikely to reveal that the can hack BBM - assuming they can - for something like what we've seen over the last few nights.

Coventry Blitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    All the evidence points to no backdoor. If they did have one they wouldn't be mentioning BBM right now, they would've just used the backdoor and they certainly wouldn't try to block it as if they block it their backdoor would be blocked too no?

08-10-11 07:29 AM
    With the ongoing events (riots / looting) in the UK there is much talk of the use of BBM and the encryption of the Blackberry network.

There are mixed messages as to whether or not messages sent via BBM can be traced and tracked to a Blackberry user. Some reports suggests this is just not possible due to the encryption of the Blackberry Internat Service (BIS), yet other reports suggest this can be done.

Can a expert on this subject set the record straight once and for all?.

Thanks.
    08-10-11 09:41 AM
    Another question: can RIM afford to keep such a feature -- true or assumed -- in a world with a new security consciousness?

I suspect a lot of people may not want a 100% uncrackable means of communication.

I highly doubt that the information cannot be recovered, but I have been wrong before.
    08-10-11 10:39 AM
    As I understand it, all BBMs are encrypted with the same key, so if you have that key and can intercept the messages you can read any BBM. Email is encrypted with a key unique to each device so is much harder to crack.

I guess RIM could make the BBM key available to law enforcement agencies if they wanted to / were forced to. The law enforcement agencies would still need to be able to intercept the messages though.

I've used BBM every night of the riots (Orange UK via UMA) to chat with a friend in Manchester (where there have been riots) who is on o2. No messages about it being blocked. Odd.
    08-10-11 03:54 PM
    I am in London and I sent bbms just fine

08-10-11 04:03 PM
    Another question: can RIM afford to keep such a feature -- true or assumed -- in a world with a new security consciousness?

I suspect a lot of people may not want a 100% uncrackable means of communication.

I highly doubt that the information cannot be recovered, but I have been wrong before.
    Some do want uncrackable comms. If you use BES it is different than BIS. BBM through BES/encrypted should be uncrackable. Unless I am mistaken, anyone can run a "light" version of BES and use the strong encryption. Right?
    08-10-11 04:07 PM
    I believe RIM has ability to decrypt BIS, but not BES.
    08-10-11 08:25 PM
    My opinion is that they have the ability to track all the messages that are sent. What they do with the information is the other factor. Do they turn over to police or keep as a national security measure?
    08-10-11 08:32 PM
    My opinion is that they have the ability to track all the messages that are sent. What they do with the information is the other factor. Do they turn over to police or keep as a national security measure?
    Rim can provide logs of the conversations but it can't be done in real time. They simply can't monitor BBM in real time. Can you imagine how much information they have to go trough though with one to one chats, broadcasts chats, multiperson and group chats? It would be almost impossible I say. You would need thousands of people to sort that out.

08-11-11 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD