Hey everyone! I just have a question about the security of joining a BBM group: There's a bunch of skydivers that have a group on BBM, and it's supposed to be pretty hilarious to join -- a few of my skydiving friends have joined it (ones that I know in real life), but for the most part, I don't personally know the people in the group

I'm just concerned that if I joined that group, could they get any of my phone information (obviously they will know my PIN, but what about my emails or phone number etc.)? They also post pictures of themselves doing crazy stunts; is there any harm in downloading pictures they may post (or maybe just hitting "preview" instead of actually downloading them)?

Lastly, I know that if I got sick of it or if anyone was contacting me incessantly I could just delete the group, but with my PIN, does that mean that individual users could repeatedly send me requests or messages?

Thank you!!!!
    08-27-10 10:41 AM
    Hey everyone! I just have a question about the security of joining a BBM group: There's a bunch of skydivers that have a group on BBM, and it's supposed to be pretty hilarious to join -- a few of my skydiving friends have joined it (ones that I know in real life), but for the most part, I don't personally know the people in the group

I'm just concerned that if I joined that group, could they get any of my phone information (obviously they will know my PIN, but what about my emails or phone number etc.)? They also post pictures of themselves doing crazy stunts; is there any harm in downloading pictures they may post (or maybe just hitting "preview" instead of actually downloading them)?

Lastly, I know that if I got sick of it or if anyone was contacting me incessantly I could just delete the group, but with my PIN, does that mean that individual users could repeatedly send me requests or messages?

Thank you!!!!
    Lolll no there's no harm at all. Joining a bbm group is totally secure, they can't get your email or phone number or anything else. If they want to talk to you in a private bbm conversation (other than the bbm group chat) they have to ADD you to bbm and you can either accept or deny the request. As for pictures, there's no harm to download them on your blackberry, it's not a computer, it's a phone... no viruses or whatever.
    08-27-10 10:57 AM
    Thanks for that answer xal, it was helpful for that question as well as others!
    08-27-10 11:14 AM
    Lolll no there's no harm at all. Joining a bbm group is totally secure, they can't get your email or phone number or anything else. If they want to talk to you in a private bbm conversation (other than the bbm group chat) they have to ADD you to bbm and you can either accept or deny the request. As for pictures, there's no harm to download them on your blackberry, it's not a computer, it's a phone... no viruses or whatever.
    Cool, and if I deny them once, can they keep re-requesting me, or it's done for good?
    08-27-10 03:04 PM
    How about PIN messages (not BBM messages)? From what I understand, a PIN message is the equivalent of an email in the BB world...so giving out your PIN (aka "BB email address") to someone could permit them to send you a PIN message (aka a "BB email") without adding you as a BBM contact? Correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by mrk2010; 08-27-10 at 06:35 PM.
    08-27-10 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD