hello i am running blackberry messenger 5.0.0.57 on a bold 9700. i have a blackberry messenger buddy list where my buddies constantly change their default picture, name, and status. it seems that there are a select few buddies where i can see their updated picture and name, but if i want to view their updated status message, i have to reboot my blackberry (battery pull). these buddies are on blackberry messenger 5.0 or higher and running an up to date OS.
    is there a reason i have to do this all the time? this is for every status message change, these "particular buddies" execute.
    02-14-10 11:26 AM
    Are you looking in "Recent Updates" to view their status? When ever they change their status, it will appear in recent updates.
    02-14-10 11:37 AM
    It will have a red symbol on there showing you that something different took place, and when you expand it, it will show it.
    02-14-10 11:47 AM
    Are you looking in "Recent Updates" to view their status? When ever they change their status, it will appear in recent updates.
    yes i am looking in recent updates. it shows their recent picture change, name change, but doesn't show their status update change. i have already re-sent the service books and hard reset/ battery pulled it and that is the only way i can view their status change.
    02-14-10 11:47 AM
    There is a difference when someone updates their "status message" and actual
    "status." If someone changes just their "status" then that doesn't show on
    recent updates. If someone changes their "status message" then yes, that will show.
    02-14-10 12:19 PM
    There is a difference when someone updates their "status message" and actual
    "status." If someone changes just their "status" then that doesn't show on
    recent updates. If someone changes their "status message" then yes, that will show.
    oh i that is true and i was aware of that, however in this case i'm referring to their status message. i am able to view other peoples "status message" changes, but not these particular buddies. i'm assuming because they're on a blackberry buddy group w/ their list.. but i am still unsure.
    02-14-10 12:26 PM
    oh i that is true and i was aware of that, however in this case i'm referring to their status message. i am able to view other peoples "status message" changes, but not these particular buddies. i'm assuming because they're on a blackberry buddy group w/ their list.. but i am still unsure.
    Well how sure are you that they're actually not updating their "status" only
    as opposed to just their "status message?"
    02-14-10 12:29 PM
    Well how sure are you that they're actually not updating their "status" only
    as opposed to just their "status message?"
    because when i reboot my berry, their status message changes. they change everything in " one shot. " picture, name, and status. when i see their picture and name change, i think to myself, " oh boy, i have to reboot to read their updated status. " which in all occassions, i do the reboot, and see their updated "status message" NOT status. i understand that status changes are the available/unavailable changes and it's not that..
    02-14-10 12:36 PM
    because when i reboot my berry, their status message changes. they change everything in " one shot. " picture, name, and status. when i see their picture and name change, i think to myself, " oh boy, i have to reboot to read their updated status. " which in all occassions, i do the reboot, and see their updated "status message" NOT status. i understand that status changes are the available/unavailable changes and it's not that..
    Almost everyone's changes in one shot on a reboot. Even if it's the same
    message and display pic.
    02-14-10 01:32 PM
    Almost everyone's changes in one shot on a reboot. Even if it's the same
    message and display pic.
    OK so back to my question:

i have a blackberry messenger buddy list where my buddies constantly change their default picture, name, and status. it seems that there are a select few buddies where i can see their updated picture and name, but if i want to view their updated status message, i have to reboot my blackberry (battery pull). these buddies are on blackberry messenger 5.0 or higher and running an up to date OS.
    is there a reason i have to do this all the time? this is for every status message change, these "particular buddies" execute.
    02-14-10 01:42 PM
    OK so back to my question:

i have a blackberry messenger buddy list where my buddies constantly change their default picture, name, and status. it seems that there are a select few buddies where i can see their updated picture and name, but if i want to view their updated status message, i have to reboot my blackberry (battery pull). these buddies are on blackberry messenger 5.0 or higher and running an up to date OS.
    Because they're changing only their STATUS and not STATUS MESSAGE. A
    status update will only appear in your recent updates on a reboot. A status
    message will appear on your recent updates without a reboot.

If you can't understand that then I'm sorry you're having trouble understanding it.
    02-14-10 01:48 PM
    Forever29 is correct...

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-14-10 01:57 PM
    Because they're changing only their STATUS and not STATUS MESSAGE. A
    status update will only appear in your recent updates on a reboot. A status
    message will appear on your recent updates without a reboot.

If you can't understand that then I'm sorry you're having trouble understanding it.
    OK let me get this cleared up:

they change their:

default picture, display name, and status message. and i am unable to read their changed "status message." they keep their status on : AVAILABLE.
    the only way i can read "CERTAIN CONTACT'S" updated "STATUS MESSAGE" i have to reboot my blackberry. i hope i made this clear enough to understand.
    02-14-10 02:02 PM
    forever29, he isn't stupid, try reading his original post again.

m_pun, sorry I have nothing to contribute but the replies so far gave me a giggle.
    02-14-10 02:19 PM
    OK let me get this cleared up:

they change their:

default picture, display name, and status message. and i am unable to read their changed "status message." they keep their status on : AVAILABLE.
    the only way i can read "CERTAIN CONTACT'S" updated "STATUS MESSAGE" i have to reboot my blackberry. i hope i made this clear enough to understand.
    I give up. You're not understanding what I'm saying. Someone can change just their status with
    available or unavailable along with a message. That's probably the one they're changing instead
    of having a status "message" change in the "status message" field.

forever29, he isn't stupid, try reading his original post again.

m_pun, sorry I have nothing to contribute but the replies so far gave me a giggle.
    See post above.
    Last edited by forever29; 02-14-10 at 02:27 PM.
    02-14-10 02:23 PM
    His friends are changing their display picture, screen name and status message (equivalent of a personal message on any other IM client).

Their status being whether they're available or busy, their status message being actual text that's displayed under their name. Despite seeing immediate changes in picture and display name he isn't able to see a change in their status message unless he does a battery pull, even if he does browse through recent updates.

m_pun, try going to Options and under Recent Updates set it to 100, also make sure you have the newest BBM. If that fails try re-adding them and see if that helps. I've never paid enough attention to Recent Updates to know if I have the same problem.
    Last edited by Zed Leppelin; 02-14-10 at 02:30 PM.
    02-14-10 02:27 PM
    Because the actual status message that they're updating isn't being updated in
    the "status message" field and instead in the "status" field where not only can you
    switch between available and unavailable, but you can apply a message to that
    too. In that case, those don't show as a recent update unless a reboot is done.

Changing your status in the "status message" field will show as a recent update
    without a reboot.

The OP is under the impression that those contacts are changing their status
    message in the actual "status message" field. They're more than likely changing
    their message in just the "status" field where you can apply a message whether
    available or unavailable.

Add yourself to BBM and update your status on just "status" along with a message.
    You'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by forever29; 02-14-10 at 02:40 PM.
    02-14-10 02:32 PM
    Because the actual status message that they're updating isn't being updated in
    the "status message" field and instead in the "status" field where not only can you
    switch between available and unavailable, but you can apply a message to that
    too. In that case, those don't show as a recent update unless a reboot is done.
    Changing your status in the "status message" field will show as a recent update without a reboot.
    Bolded is correct and clearer but I'm assuming the OP can tell the difference between the two since he clarified he meant the "status message" and not "status" which you can tell the difference between on the contact's profile

Assuming he CAN tell the difference what would cause a delay in displaying their updated "status message" is I think what he's asking
    02-14-10 02:42 PM
    Bolded is correct and clearer but I'm assuming the OP can tell the difference between the two since he clarified he meant the "status message" and not "status" which you can tell the difference between on the contact's profile

Assuming he CAN tell the difference what would cause a delay in displaying their updated "status message" is I think what he's asking
    The point is that he is under the impression that those contacts are
    changing the message under "status message" when in reality they are
    changing that message under only "status."
    02-14-10 02:43 PM
    forever29 is correct. This may be a matter of BB semantics.

There are two ways to assign a status one being the "Status Message" field and the
    other being the "Personalize Status" field. They behave differently.
    02-14-10 03:11 PM
    His friends are changing their display picture, screen name and status message (equivalent of a personal message on any other IM client).

Their status being whether they're available or busy, their status message being actual text that's displayed under their name. Despite seeing immediate changes in picture and display name he isn't able to see a change in their status message unless he does a battery pull, even if he does browse through recent updates.

m_pun, try going to Options and under Recent Updates set it to 100, also make sure you have the newest BBM. If that fails try re-adding them and see if that helps. I've never paid enough attention to Recent Updates to know if I have the same problem.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I went ahead and changed recent updates to 100 and i have bbm version 5.0.0.57 (most up to date), even after removing the buddy and re-adding then re-booting it seems that i still have to re-boot (battery pull) my blackberry to read that buddies' "status message update" (not to be mistaken with status, because it says available w/ a green light). it also seems that i am not the only one on his bbm contact list that is having issues viewing his status message update..
    02-14-10 05:45 PM
    i've never heard of that problem
    02-14-10 09:10 PM
    i've never heard of that problem
    well there's a 1st time for everything..
    02-14-10 09:11 PM
    My Issue Is With My Blackberry Curve 8330
    Im Running The Most Recent Blackberry Messenger and I'm Having Problems With It.
    My Status Does Not Change Or Show? Before It Used Too But Now It Doesn't Change At All. Do I Need To Reinstall The OS Or What? Not Sure What Is Going On..
    People Help Me Out! Please!
    02-25-10 03:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD