my gf is currently overseas, she activated the international blackberry email service but in our case, 50% of the messages get undelivered, just lost in transition, so i was wondering if she will get charged for using blackberry messenger

I do understand this uses the data plan, but i have been researching online and some people seem to reassure that there is absolutely no charges for using because it goes through blackberry servers, some other people just say that since it uses the data plan charges per kilobyte apply.

In my own experience, when i have been overseas i have "accidentally" used once or twice the blackberry messenger, also i have accidentally stayed connected on the msn messenger after being connected on WIFI (which will avoid charges) i just forgot to sign out..., and i have never been charged one extra cent.

So my question is, Has any body had similar experiences? Has any body extensively used the bbm overseas that could give me exact feedback on the charges?

Thanks in advance.

LitO
    03-01-09 11:58 AM
    BB Messenger is free up to the limit of your data plan. So if you have unlimited Intl on her device then she wont be charged for it. You will be charged only data as well.
    03-01-09 11:59 AM
    I spent months in Europe and Asia last year and wasn't charged a penny for any data charges at all. And I didn't use WiFi at all while I was over there -- normal, over the air coverage.
    03-01-09 12:08 PM
    We added to her account the Unlimited international blackberry EMAIL feature... which does not specify general "data" plan.
    03-01-09 12:09 PM
    i do am aware of the calls being almost 3 dollars a min to where she is and sending texts is 35 cents... but i want more feedback on data plan..
    03-01-09 12:10 PM
    We added to her account the Unlimited international blackberry EMAIL feature... which does not specify general "data" plan.
    I have the exact same "unlimited international email plan" and have never been charged once for data.
    03-01-09 12:24 PM
    Thank you very much for your input, anybody else?
    03-01-09 01:01 PM
    Why would calls be so expensive? Getting racked over the coals if the are. BBM runs through RIM's servers so carriers don't know it from email and you should get charged nothing extra.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 01:04 PM
    It's rare to be charged for data, but it does happen and is in fact suppose to happen. That Int'l email add-on is just as you stated for email only. It's unlikely you will be charged but it doesn't hurt to prepare yourself for that possibility.
    03-01-09 05:42 PM
    anyone know the answer with whether or not bbm will be for free in china and south korea if i have an unlimited data plan in the US?
    07-27-09 10:59 PM
    anyone know the answer with whether or not bbm will be for free in china and south korea if i have an unlimited data plan in the US?
    It seems that the answer is now "no." I've never been charged for any data used anywhere in the world, but one person said that charges appeared after April 1 of this year.
    07-28-09 06:32 AM
    hey everyone i just spent a whole year in bahrain and i would send bbm's back to my wife in the states and i was never charged anything so i dont know what half these ppl are talking about when they say they are getting charged for it when it goes on the blackberry server not your carriers server and plus it just pings from phone to phone and i have been back in the states for over 6 months now.
    01-29-10 05:19 PM
    In December took my BB to China, Macau and Hong Kong, added the international email plan for $20 and was never charged.
    01-30-10 05:20 PM
    BBM is absolutely free globally (assuming you have the unlimited international data add-on active). I can confirm this because TMO didn't charge me anything and I am an extensive BBM user. FYI, I was in China and HK last month and used BBM extensively there.
    02-23-10 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD