Hey guys

I'm going out of the country for about 10 days next month. I have been told by a friend that although sending emails and browsing the web would be expensive, there is no additional charge (other than my standard data plan) for sending and receiving bbms while out of the country. Is that true?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-11 03:11 PM
    Yes that is correct. Blackberry Messenger is free with sending and receiving messages wherever you are. Also, to save some money, you can turn off your network and you will still be able to receive/send emails if you can connect to a Wifi network.
    02-03-11 03:42 PM
    Terrific. Thank you very much. How do I set it up so I don't receive emails but can still send bbms?

02-03-11 04:06 PM
    No. That is completely INCORRECT.

BBM is "free" (ie covered under your data plan) to anyone in the world AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN AN AREA THAT IS COVERED UNDER YOUR PLAN.

If you are roaming in another country and don't have a plan that covers that area, YOU WILL GET ROAMING CHARGES when you use BBM or any other data.

BBM is NO different from email.
    02-03-11 05:21 PM
    I thought if you connected to a wifi spot you could use it to browse and send/receive emails and or send texts and what not and not be charged?

I hope there is some clarification as I am leaving country in a few weeks for 7 days...don't want to get nailed either.

Also to use while in that Country to get a prepaid sim card to use on their network, correct?

02-03-11 05:34 PM
    You'll get charged by your network for using data in another country (unless your tariff covers that), would probably work out cheaper to get a sim card from that country with the blackberry services, depending on how much you're going to use it though.
    02-03-11 07:17 PM
    If you use wifi, you will not be charged as the data does not go through the cell network.
    02-03-11 07:28 PM
    I thought if you connected to a wifi spot you could use it to browse and send/receive emails and or send texts and what not and not be charged?

I hope there is some clarification as I am leaving country in a few weeks for 7 days...don't want to get nailed either.

Also to use while in that Country to get a prepaid sim card to use on their network, correct?
    If you use WiFi, then you will not be charged.

If you get a prepaid SIM, however, you will lose your BIS connection on your current carrier.

If the prepaid SIM includes BlackBerry Data, then you will be able to use BlackBerry Data services on that carrier.
    02-03-11 07:49 PM
    Prepaid SIM's with BIS are the way to go. It never hurts to call in advance before traveling, to see what that overseas carrier has and if it's available.

02-04-11 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD