Howdy Gentlesirs

So my problem is activating BBM without having a BB data plan. I'm in Europe for the next few months traveling (from Canada) and I'd like to be able to use BBM.

I've done a lot of looking and I do realize it is not possible to activate BBM without a BB data plan. Here's my plan and I'd like to know if this would work or not.

I'm obviously not using my SIM card from home as the roaming charges would be ridiculous. Right now I have a Vodafone pay-as-you-go SIM in right now. I was using my old galaxy s for a short while before I was able to unlock my BB. Now, I can text and that's basically it. I can't use many apps since there is no BIS connectivity.

So if I were to pay the $5 and get the BB data activated so I can activate the BBM with the new SIM card, as long as I keep the same SIM card in the phone, will I be able to use BBM over WIFI and disable the mobile network or would it stop working?

I hope this makes sense if not I will try and clarify. Thanks in advance.

oops forgot to say... My phone is a Curve 9360.
    05-10-12 02:29 PM
    If you add in a BIS data plan, then BBM will work over WiFi. You don't need to have data service turned on. Same goes for you email.

Sent from my old faithful BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    05-10-12 02:41 PM
    If this doesn't work another option is adding BIS service over there. most Places i visited is about $15 for 2 weeks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-10-12 02:49 PM
    it will work

i travel internationally and never have data roaming on. BBM and push email and everything including VoIP (using mobileVOIP) work just fine over wifi

Additionally, if you have access to VM from the web you never even need to use roaming minutes, just call people back using voip over wifi.

If this doesn't work another option is adding BIS service over there. most Places i visited is about $15 for 2 weeks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-10-12 03:03 PM
    The other option is to use your Galaxy s with the Pay as you go card and leave your Canadian sim in the BlackBerry, but with data roaming off. If it happens to be a Rogers phone and OS 7.1, you may be able to enable wifi calling on it, which could be cheaper than using your Pay as you go card for some calls.

Just make sure you have data roaming off and just use the phone on wifi for email and BBM.

You can also leave the cellular network on all the time (with data roaming off) and it will ring in case there is an emergency back home. Text messages or sms could be problematic if you leave the phone/cellular portion on and can't block them. It all really depends on your economic situation. For the risk of paying $2-$3 a minute, I would like to know if my house has burned down of if there was a family emergency back home.
    Last edited by robsteve; 05-10-12 at 03:39 PM.
    05-10-12 03:37 PM
    Perfect. Thanks a lot guys
    05-10-12 07:25 PM
    Unless you need a local sim card, you could just turn off your network connection and use wifi for BBM without being charged.
    Last edited by Dr.Deebs; 05-11-12 at 10:49 AM.
    05-10-12 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD