04-06-11 09:51 AM
105 1234 ...
tools
    My research suggests they are not only aiming for high end....however "ultra high end"....very advanced super phones(I'll eloborate on that in a future thread)!!!!!!
    Given the pace of progress in the market, the qnx phones will probably only be high-end by the time they turn up, but as much as blog commenters might not agree, that is actually a good position to be in as you have the higher margins without the more excessive costs and uncertain chipset quality of the bleeding edge.

Their current problem is that they don't even have anything in the mainstream of the high end of the market, they seem to be addressing that quite well with the 6.1 devices and will obviously need to push on faster with the wnx phones.
    03-29-11 12:13 PM
    u know, I was lucky enough to have a 2 way pager when I was in HS that I worked hard to get. Now a days its a normal thing to see a kid with a smart phone which is crazy and shows how much has changed in 20 years from when I started HS.

But lets not forget, a BB curve 8520 for example is much more affordable than an iphone or droid. And I think in part that is the reason theres more BBs out there in young hands. BBM just happens to be the perk that comes with that lower cost.
    03-30-11 12:29 AM
    In my corner of the world I agree with this premise, BB are more affordable and it seems they outnumber the competition.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-11 12:41 AM
    u know, I was lucky enough to have a 2 way pager when I was in HS that I worked hard to get. Now a days its a normal thing to see a kid with a smart phone which is crazy and shows how much has changed in 20 years from when I started HS.

But lets not forget, a BB curve 8520 for example is much more affordable than an iphone or droid. And I think in part that is the reason theres more BBs out there in young hands. BBM just happens to be the perk that comes with that lower cost.
    That is one advantage that RIM has... Everyone knows that a $49 dollar iPhone 3G is "old technology". They don't realize that a BB Curve 8520 at the same price is even older technology.
    03-30-11 10:02 AM
    Big Bird calls BS. The school system I work in has 2200 kids or "youths". Not 1 kid I know has a BB. They all have iPhones and droids and the way they talk about BB is very alarming. They talk about BB like it is dial up compared to a T3 line. From what I see in the schools, BB isnt even on the radar of todays kids...its just that siimple
    exactly. kids today all want android and iphones.
    03-30-11 10:07 AM
    That is one advantage that RIM has... Everyone knows that a $49 dollar iPhone 3G is "old technology". They don't realize that a BB Curve 8520 at the same price is even older technology.
    I think the low cost and BBM contribute to large numbers of kids that I see with blackberries.

03-30-11 10:11 AM
    I think the low cost and BBM contribute to large numbers of kids that I see with blackberries.

I would have to agree, that and being a great communications device coupled with the generation today that doesn't understand the word "oversharing" can FB and tweet till their thumbs fall off about the lunch they ate, and what their dog coughed up, etc, etc, etc.
    03-30-11 10:31 AM
    I still think that RIM should go back to the days of having 3 models of the same quality! The 8830WE, Curve, and Pearl! Same quality, different purpose! The 8830 was the professional device, the curve was the consumer device, and the pearl was the smaller hands, slightly feminine device. I dont know if what we have today helps them get back to the top of the game, with torches, styles, and even storms. And seeing so many kids using them simply because its a cheap alternative kills the name. It may make them a profit now, but killing the name does more damage in the long run.

RIM tried to satisfy every desire and I think that was their mistake. I said it once before. People molded themselves to the blackberry (with pleasure) and owning one was an iconic thing. Now RIM has molded itself to the consumer and now I think the masses have lost that respect that came with the name and the tradition of having that screen/keyboard combination. And once you add the Storm, you're now competing on their level instead of standing your ground and maintaining confidence in your own platform.

I also think that their desire to come up with so many different styles is the reason why they fell back so far behind the competition. I know this is treading off the topic here but I just wanted to point that out quickly... carry on lol
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 03-31-11 at 03:57 AM.
    03-31-11 03:01 AM
    I think It depends on what area u are in, I know here I vancouver I see way more blackberries than I do droids or iphones. My buddy was made fun of and called a traitor plenty of times for getting the iphone 4. And almost every university kid u see walking around has a blackberry in their hand.

03-31-11 03:46 AM
    The kids of today hate BB......the masses in the school system tell the story. NONE of them like BB and laugh at anyone who carries one. iPhones and droids....thats what they love. When I showed them my t-bolt, they loved it and laughed at my curve 3g
    So NO KIDS in NY have BBerries? Really? Don't they need BBerries to send out BB messages through BBM? Isn't Yonkers in NY? Aren't these kids middle and high schools?

Facebook 'smut list' of 'high school sluts' sparks police investigation | Mail Online

Thought of you and your ridiculous assertions when my sister sent me this about cyberbullying...
    03-31-11 04:45 AM
    Agreed but it dispells the myth to those people that think blackberries are only for people who need to get work done. You know the ones that say "iPhones and Androids are toys but blackberries are for work".
    I do agree!

All devices can be used for all the functions, iPhones and Androids make BETTER toy's because they have a better game selection, a larger screen for media consumption, and a faster browser historically. but that does not preclude them as being functional business devices.

on the flip side, Blackberry's can also be toy's though there range as a toy is far more limited, but as a kids chat tool, parents can love it, and kids can love it alike, Many carriers in Canada give away free BBM on devices with no data plans, and it works to get them to eventually want a data plan if they are older, and as kids it keeps the bill much much lower.
    03-31-11 06:40 AM
    BlackBerrys Gaining Stronger Penetration in Younger Market - BerryReview

For some this is already apparent....however a nice eye opener for thos who tend to see this as not occuring!

Ps....this is a postive sign and thread....I'm more then confident it'll be short on the usual negative poster...it reeks of optimism!
    I guess this is why Blackberry is leading all the others!
    04-01-11 08:35 AM
    I think this whole topic is very region specific. I know here in toronto a great majority of high school/university students have BBs for BBm. But my friends who moved to mississippi or georgia say noone down south has BBs and its all droid/iphone. Again, it depends where you are... But if you were to just look at my area youd think BB owns the market hands down!
    04-02-11 01:07 PM
    I think in this kind of stuff people need to avoid falling into the trap of thinking that anecdote is the singular of data.

The reality is that BB's are extremely popular with younger demographics in general due to their dedication to sms and other messaging, there are going to be some regional variations, but that's all.
    04-02-11 02:29 PM
    I think this whole topic is very region specific. I know here in toronto a great majority of high school/university students have BBs for BBm. But my friends who moved to mississippi or georgia say noone down south has BBs and its all droid/iphone. Again, it depends where you are... But if you were to just look at my area youd think BB owns the market hands down!
    One has to be able to recognize a BlackBerry to "count" someone using it. If one can't "recognize" because of any impediments, then one can't really say they see people using it.
    04-02-11 04:00 PM
    Yeah, it must be block specific. I agree with the comment about NYC, but I am willing to admit, one sees what they want to see and keep getting told by teachers BB for what ever the reason is hot.

It is what it is.
    04-02-11 10:13 PM
    If NYC and its surrounding area isnt the spot for "whats hot" then you guys are sorely mistaken.....Its not BB with todays youth unless you are overseas. My cousin (school teacher)who lives in "HotLanta" told me the same thing. NOBODY at the HS level has BB's. It is what it is. From what the bold touch is showing, that could change some things but NOBODY is sporting a curve, bold or torch....
    I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I can certainly speak to what I see in NY. If u tell me I'm lying, then I would hope that you're telling me this cuz u live in NY too. If not, then ur perspective on what devices kids use in NY is mute

04-02-11 10:18 PM
    I believe people see what they want to see and things change by region. Real data needs to come out to speak to this, not just conjecture.
    04-02-11 10:42 PM
    like ive said from day one. My school has 2200 kids.....no BB's.....all droids and iPhones. My cousins school has 1500 kids....no BBs...all droids and iPhones....our middle schools are the same thing (although the amount of middle school kids that have devices pales in comparison to HS)...so, there is another generation coming up that has no connection to BB....I would love to see a HS in this country that has more kids carrying BB's than droids.....I would bet $$ the majority of HS kids in this country are all iPhone and droid....Im only speaking for the two territories I KNOW about, but its a pretty good subject population to gather data from.
    I think it is regional cuz what goes on in NYC looks to be different than what happens in the mid west let's say. I worked as a financial advisor for a HS for about a year, and in that time, I only say 2 types of phones in kids hands. 1 was either a dumb phone, and the other was blackberry. Also, an even more important point is looking at what devices people use on the NYC subway system. And by far, BB dominates in both young and old alike. And I wondered many times how droid can catch up so much if in NYC all I see is BB. Granted, I do see iphones as well, but overall, its BB in NYC that rules

04-02-11 10:50 PM
    like ive said from day one. My school has 2200 kids.....no BB's.....all droids and iPhones. My cousins school has 1500 kids....no BBs...all droids and iPhones....our middle schools are the same thing (although the amount of middle school kids that have devices pales in comparison to HS)...so, there is another generation coming up that has no connection to BB....I would love to see a HS in this country that has more kids carrying BB's than droids.....I would bet $$ the majority of HS kids in this country are all iPhone and droid....Im only speaking for the two territories I KNOW about, but its a pretty good subject population to gather data from.
    I said it before but you have an agenda so we would have to question your report regardless. That being said, I don't believe you know what the 2200 students are all carrying. It's an absurd notion short of you stalking and charting the kids. Anyway, give me a break...because the kids you have seen in your district aren't using a particular brand then that said brand is dead to the youth in North America? Please, the hyperbole is off the charts.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    04-02-11 10:57 PM
    OK I believe you. In your one school does not have a BB to be found. But I'm going to generalize the way you have, in every other school in the tri-state area, BBs rule.
    04-02-11 11:20 PM
    And yeah, BB is dead? The school I used to go to, I still have many friends from the 3 schools I was a part of during the 6th form (one was only for a couple of days, before I found out the course I was doing there was cancelled). And BBs are all the rage in the UK.

You go around Leeds and Bradford, and you see them all the time. I mean I can't even walk up the university from the Interchange (it's a 15-min walk) without seeing 5-10 BlackBerrys in the hands of the youth! I swear this guy has an agenda. Has anyone got a flamethrower accessory for my Torch so I can set fire to this thingy with the agenda?
    04-03-11 08:00 AM
    Ill tell you one thing, here in NYC BB is king. I take the subway every day from the farthest part of Queens, thru Brooklyn into Manhattan. And i work in a Tattoo shop in Manhattan. I ride into work when all the HS students come out. They ALL have BBs! Young and old, BBs. and at work, around 8 out of 10 People who walk in have BBs!! It may be a regional thing, but NYC loves BB!
    04-03-11 08:01 AM
    Oh, and another thing, if BB is so "dead" as you incorrectly put it, why the heck do I get a lot of wow's from people for having a BlackBerry Torch? These wows are even from iPhone users and Android (such as HTC Desire HD) users. And no, they're not sarcastic wows...
    04-03-11 08:09 AM
    Ill tell you one thing, here in NYC BB is king. I take the subway every day from the farthest part of Queens, thru Brooklyn into Manhattan. And i work in a Tattoo shop in Manhattan. I ride into work when all the HS students come out. They ALL have BBs! Young and old, BBs. and at work, around 8 out of 10 People who walk in have BBs!! It may be a regional thing, but NYC loves BB!
    Nah....you're mistaken, as am I. I travel to Manhattan regularly and last Fall I was in Long Island, so all the middle and high school kids you and I saw carrying Blackberries were figments of our imaginations. Or they were tourists, come to NY alone and walking around the city alone with no supervision.....all parents all over the country let their kids come to NY alone. That's the reason you and I are seeing those kids with Blackberries....they're all uncool kids from elsewhere in the U.S.
    And that report I posted was fiction.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    04-03-11 09:14 AM
105 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD