03-28-11 11:20 PM
35 12
tools
    I think manufacturers are starting to realize how much they're left at Google's mercy after Xoom/Honeycomb fiasco, still not quite finished, have they even got flash yet?
    I hear Motorola is starting to work on their own OS again.
    And get this, with honeycomb Google going the Apple way, they are not releasing the source code anymore, so much for open source. Is that the end of rooting?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm under the impression they'll release the code when it's ready for prime time 100%

03-27-11 04:35 PM
    I may believe this

Windows Phone 7 would be in the top three it would beat iOS or RIM and i can only hope it is iOS -
    Nokia would help win phone 7 a lot
    03-27-11 06:39 PM
    the only way windows phone 7 is going to get there (although it`ll be higher than 7 by 2016 lol) will be with nokia. and thats the potential issue, from whats been said, nokia will start selling win7 phones in 2012, around the time QNX phones come out, i think if QNX phones come out before nokia get win7 out, then its not going to pan out the way the writer suggests.

also i wonder if one of the `new OS`s` will be what motos allegedly got cooking, either way i dont see meego gaining much pace (truly a shame), simply because its biggest holder was nokia, who have all but abandonded it with win7
    03-27-11 06:47 PM
    I think manufacturers are starting to realize how much they're left at Google's mercy after Xoom/Honeycomb fiasco, still not quite finished, have they even got flash yet?
    I hear Motorola is starting to work on their own OS again.
    And get this, with honeycomb Google going the Apple way, they are not releasing the source code anymore, so much for open source. Is that the end of rooting?

They aren't releasing the code because it is still basically a work in progress. I highly doubt Google will stop releasing the source codes.

Also, that doesn't stop rooting at all.
    03-27-11 06:49 PM
    A couple of OEM back-up batteries at $7 a pop will keep my BB Tour going strong for days days. It's funny seeing iphone user drones in coffee shops and libraries constantly charging their phones. I refuse to be held hostage by Apple's battery-life limitations. The same applies to Androids as well!

Blackberry Owners represent true independence with the God-given right to access & pull our batteries out anytime and anywhere we want!
    03-27-11 08:41 PM
    At the risk of pointing out the obvious...if/when Windows Mobile phone grabs that kind of market share, it will generate a lot of sensational headlines along the way, such as "Apple and RIM continue to bleed market share to Microsoft..." Could cause a lot of hand-wringing if you ask me.

For some reason the author didn't mention Nintendo. I would hazard a guess that they could come up with a killer gaming phone if they wanted to. It's not like they can't get people to que up for a handheld device:

Hundreds queue for Nintendo 3DS and Apple iPad 2 - Telegraph

On the other hand, this cannot be ignored:

"Having dominated the portable market for so long with a string of successful handhelds, the firm now finds itself in unsettling competition with the rapidly growing force of smartphone gaming, Apple's iDevices in particular."

Nintendo 3DS – review | Technology | The Observer

Seems a Nintendo phone is inevitable?
    03-27-11 10:32 PM
    It's simply all hype to me. Not gonna go haywire, I'll keep using my device. As long as RIM is still in existence, they're fine. Markets go up and down, same with prices.

03-27-11 11:13 PM
    Also there is an assumption that no other new player will emerge during that time.
    I thought exactly the same thing when I was reading the article. It seems to forecast some pretty exact numbers as if the entire industry will operate in a vacuum for the next few years without any new products, software platforms, technologies, competitors, acquisitions, or game-changers that seem to have become the expected norm among tech players.
    03-28-11 08:59 PM
    Of course it's iOS Google is after... who else would they be after?

RIM isn't even in the discussion because they are a non-factor for Microsoft, Google or Apple.

RIM will continue to push out slightly updated phones every year, adding a few MB's of RAM and maybe change their key color. Apple and Google will continue to lead in innovation.
    I will admit that the first iPhone is a pretty cool innovation. It took a lot of popular ideas and wrapped them up in a shiny OS for users to work in.

But what has Apple really done since then except ... slightly update the same phone every year, making incremental improvements? What astonishingly "new" and "innovative" thing has Apple done from the second phone and the current phone that no one has done before? That no one has done better?

It started off from a good point. But I don't see anything particularly more than slightly updated phones since then.
    03-28-11 10:27 PM
    I will admit that the first iPhone is a pretty cool innovation. It took a lot of popular ideas and wrapped them up in a shiny OS for users to work in.

But what has Apple really done since then except ... slightly update the same phone every year, making incremental improvements? What astonishingly "new" and "innovative" thing has Apple done from the second phone and the current phone that no one has done before? That no one has done better?

It started off from a good point. But I don't see anything particularly more than slightly updated phones since then.
    This. Popularity is distinct from innovation: ie pet rocks.

03-28-11 11:20 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD