BBM has always been great, no doubt about it but i just wanna suggest a new feature might be useful. first, we know that "D" stands for delivered and "R" for read. Why not a new one? "E" (maybe) for chat that's ended (end chat) .because few experienced that we saw "D" and never really receive a reply, we can't say that the chat is ended or just purely ignored. especially during the new launch of BB 10, nice timing for an update?

what do you think?

EDIT : feel free to give your suggestion on what you want at BBM
    Last edited by bladedanc3; 06-15-12 at 09:28 AM.
    06-15-12 07:05 AM
    I just say 'speak later'
    OniBerry likes this.
    06-15-12 07:18 AM
    I'm actually sure how you could do that. Most of my chats never actually end. They just pause. Do you mean when the End Chat option is selected from the menu? I almost never use that.

I have contacts I chat with every few months but, the chat has not ended.
    06-15-12 07:36 AM
    I'm actually sure how you could do that. Most of my chats never actually end. They just pause. Do you mean when the End Chat option is selected from the menu? I almost never use that.

I have contacts I chat with every few months but, the chat has not ended.
    you know, i mean when people "end" chat by pressing delete button, as to let someone know that their chat might not been read ("R") sorry if there's any part that i didn't explain well, my english not really good
    06-15-12 07:49 AM
    If it is not read, it should always stay at D and that's it.
    But if there is an ongoing chat and the person exits bbm, I would be glad to know that by an away sign.
    06-15-12 07:54 AM
    But if there is an ongoing chat and the person exits bbm, I would be glad to know that by an away sign.
    Yeah we have it. The "Busy" bit. People don't use it well though. They leave it on for days whilst chatting etc. Or clear off for the day and don't turn it on.
    06-15-12 07:57 AM
    One of the best things about BBM is you never exit it. You could uninstall it from your BB but, you can't actually exit it. Because it is always there, you can count on it.

As to the OPs question, I now understand. You are talking about closing a post delivered to you, (a "D" on the sender side) but you don't want the sender to get the "R". You are right, the only way I know to do that is end the chat without opening the last message. Of course if this is so they don't take offense because you read it but did not reply, showing them you deleted it unread is likely to be more offensive. Probably best to leave it with the D on their side. Still, if you want that feature, I'm OK with it as long as I can turn that off.
    06-15-12 08:05 AM
    One of the best things about BBM is you never exit it. You could uninstall it from your BB but, you can't actually exit it. Because it is always there, you can count on it.

As to the OPs question, I now understand. You are talking about closing a post delivered to you, (a "D" on the sender side) but you don't want the sender to get the "R". You are right, the only way I know to do that is end the chat without opening the last message. Of course if this is so they don't take offense because you read it but did not reply, showing them you deleted it unread is likely to be more offensive. Probably best to leave it with the D on their side. Still, if you want that feature, I'm OK with it as long as I can turn that off.
    thanks, you really helped me explaining it . this is just my suggestion though, there's pros and cons of it
    06-15-12 08:06 AM
    I see the alpha in this concept.

How about a query and response to end chat:

I get your BBM (you see an "R"), I choose "Ending Chat" - gets sent to you, you choose "Agree" or what ever. Then we both get "this BBM Chat Ended".
    06-15-12 08:11 AM
    Yeah, I don't see the issue. They have an app that will connect to BBM and allow you to preview a BBM message without the status of the message changing to 'R'. Like it was said, you can always hit the BB key and choose end chat, that will also do pretty much the same thing.

It's much easier to type "Busy, chat later" I am not going to download an app, or just end the chat to avoid chatting to someone on my own device....how crazy is that?
    06-15-12 08:15 AM
    I fail to see the reason with this. If you send an e-mail with a read receipt, you get the notification that it has been read. If the other user doesn't respond you want your E-mail program to tell you that they haven't responded? BBM works in exactly the same way, the only difference is Delivery and Read Receipts are automatic.
    06-15-12 08:17 AM

I'm with you 100%. Sometimes I don't want to reply to someone or just want to end the chat without them seeing that I read it and ending the chat is very handy. Even though I don't want to reply to them, I don't want to offend them by reading and not replying. I like the way BBM is.
    06-15-12 08:20 AM
    There is a possibility of opening the message by accident. In that case, they would get the R when you did not want that to happen. That could happen in email as well.
    06-15-12 08:20 AM
    i guess not really many people that goes with my idea, maybe i should change it, feel free to suggest idea on what you want on BBM
    06-15-12 09:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD