What do you guys think?
    I hope not :/ but AAPL is an unstoppable force

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 02:07 AM
    I dunno - is Google+ the kiss of death for Facebook?

BBM is just one selling point for BB. For some it's the feature that keeps them with BB, for others it's meaningless, and for most it's somewhere in between. Some will use it as the reason they needed to jump to iPhone, but I'm guessing they won't be significant in number.
    07-09-11 02:15 AM
    Yea I don't know how to interpret it either. I if I want to txt someone. I txt them. I don't even use BBM :/ don't see the need now that I all my messages come in one thread ( finally!!!)

I think it will make iOS users more sticky if anything

07-09-11 02:23 AM
    Guys, why are you afraid of iMessenger? iPhone has What'sup for example which is a runs on more than an OS, and still BlackBerry users are here and increasing.

Nothing beats a QWERTY keyboard for chatting, touch screen always sucks in chatting.

Nothing beats BIS, how fast it is, how secure it is. in some countries BIS is cheaper than Generic Data Plans (As here in Qatar you pay 30$ get Unlimited BIS plan with Youtube, but pay 60$ for just 2GB for a Generic plan!)

BlackBerry is always BlackBerry, Apple would never get as BlackBerry unless they introduce their own NOCs, Services, PUSH emails.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    07-09-11 06:39 AM
    NO.........................
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-09-11 06:45 AM
    It doesn't interest me and I doubt you'll see a lot of people leave for it but probably a few who's circle of friends uses mostly iphones already.

07-09-11 07:08 AM
    It's just another player in the game.
    07-09-11 07:24 AM
    I would say no. Sure, there will be those who jump ship now that there is iMessage, but the majority aren't going to make the jump because of iMessage. Not only will they have to move to an iPhone, but everyone else they're using BBM with would have to as well.

It could possibly be a different story if on release day (of iOS 5), Apple says "oh and it'll be available as an app on BlackBerry, Android, WebOS, Symbian and Windows Phone". Still might not be a death-blow, but it would definitely allow more users the free to switch to any device and still have contact with their friends on other platforms.

Someone mentioned WhatsApp, but the difference is reliability. How many times does BBM not work? And when it doesn't, you know it wasn't sent. Also, it doesn't use your phone number. With iMessage, it'll use whatever you want, email or phone and will more than likely be as reliable as BBM or closer to it than any 3rd party solutions (WhatsApp, LiveProfile and the other ten thousand).

I prefer SMS, so BBM or iMessage isn't something I'm thanking the lord (Steve Jobs) for. I actually wish iMessage had it's own app like BBM because I noticed some issues with iMessage already. I have a lotttttt of phones, but my iPhone doesn't even have a SIM in it and I haven't used it on months, but since I installed iOS 5 on it and had to use my primary SIM to activate it, when I send an SMS from my Windows Phone (the SIM I used on my iPhone), if the person has iMessage, the message gets sent to my iPhone and I never even know that I have the message.
    07-09-11 08:43 AM
    If you look at the data, RIM's problem isn't iOS; it's Android, so I don't see how iMessage makes that much of a difference for current users.
    07-09-11 09:11 AM
    The instant messenger market is pretty crowded, but I won't be surprised if Apple can generate some hype with theirs. They know how to market features like this.

07-09-11 09:24 AM
    The thing is IMessanger is geared towards existing iphone users. I don't think it will have such a major part in people decisions to purchase iphones over any other phone. As for BB Messanger, I barely use it. The main thing that has me coming back to RIM is the keyboard and battery life.

07-09-11 09:33 AM
    The thing is IMessanger is geared towards existing iphone users. I don't think it will have such a major part in people decisions to purchase iphones over any other phone.
    I dunno... I hear a lot of people say they are only with BlackBerry for BBM. (I'm not one of them, but that's what I hear)

This could shift some users... particularly teens... as they are the demographic most likely to migrate toward a similar device as their friends.
    07-09-11 10:02 AM
    The thing is IMessanger is geared towards existing iphone users. I don't think it will have such a major part in people decisions to purchase iphones over any other phone. As for BB Messanger, I barely use it. The main thing that has me coming back to RIM is the keyboard and battery life.

You barely use it because RIM doesn't market it and it's not easy to use. iMessage IS easy to use and they are going to market the **** out of it.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    07-09-11 10:03 AM
    You barely use it because RIM doesn't market it and it's not easy to use. iMessage IS easy to use and they are going to market the **** out of it.
    BBM is easy to use, it's just not crossplatform, yet, if you believe RIM.
    07-09-11 10:15 AM
    BBM is easy to use, it's just not crossplatform, yet, if you believe RIM.
    Easy for Crackberry users or the general public?

iMessage automatically figures out if the person is using an iphone or not. Then it switches it over. No pin numbers, no losing those friends if you change your iphone, no hassle.

Granted I know that you don't lose your friends with BBM because they have backup services and all that but moving my phone, even after backing the friends up, I lost my contacts in BBM.

It's not as user friendly as iMessage and there is no arguing that fact. More robust... yes
    07-09-11 10:19 AM
    Easy for Crackberry users or the general public?
    It seems many people, on this forum and others, fail to realize that there is a significant distinction between "forum members" and the "general public."
    07-09-11 10:33 AM
    I dunno... I hear a lot of people say they are only with BlackBerry for BBM. (I'm not one of them, but that's what I hear)
    I'm one of those people. We use BBM at work to communicate with each other all over the world reliably and cheaply and securely. BB devices are the best when doing International data roaming because they are so frugal on data usage. I know iPhone business users that come to the US from other countries and literally turn off the data on the phone totally except when they need it because it is simply too expensive to use because they use so much data. It is a great tool. I also use it to stay in touch with the family while on travel. If it weren't for BBM and BB much greater efficiency compared to the competition I don't know if I would stick with BB or not. I am looking forward to QNX handsets one day as I feel we will get the best of both worlds: BBOS features that keep us with BB, and great web/media/app experience that people go to Apple and Android for.
    07-09-11 10:47 AM
    I am looking forward to QNX handsets one day as I feel we will get the best of both worlds: BBOS features that keep us with BB, and great web/media/app experience that people go to Apple and Android for.
    I'm not sure what QNX is going to offer that is better than os7. It looks pretty sweet.
    I too have been told that BBM was the only reason for having a BB.

Not diss'n the QNX btw
    07-09-11 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD