04-23-11 09:46 AM
62 123
tools
    Being the first to have something like a front camera really only matters to a few people. Choice, well, you could infer Android gives you choice in hardware, if you want touchscreen or landscape-sliders, of which there is a host of devices. One portrait keyboard limits the choice there.

As yet, the demand is very limited for video chat. The app choices to use it are there, but limited. The usage of video chat isn't in great demand yet, and with carriers clamping down on data use, probably aren't going to be conducive to widespread use, because they use a ton of bandwidth.

So, until they get it going well, and the bugs worked out of the logistical tail that's trying to wag the dog, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend to add a feature that only X number will use.

And while there may be choice of apps on iPhone, you get one form factor. Period. Simplifies the choice to none. Take it or leave it.

The arguments remind me of a joke. A man goes to the desk so that he may pay his hotel bill. He's stayed just overnight, got in late, and is checking out early. He is stunned when the clerk hands him the bill for $383.62. The man demands to know why he is being charged such an outrageous tab.

"Well, sir, we have the 9-Hole golf Course for you to play on, that is a wonderful amenity. It's there for your use."

"Well, I came in and went to bed, I didn't come here for golf"

"Sir, we have an Olympic Swimming Pool and Jacuzzi that you could use."

"Well, I don't swim, and just came in for a good nights' rest, so I think $60 is more reasonable, don't you?"

"Well, sir, that doesn't account for the riding stables that are there for you to use."

"Ok, buddy, gimme a piece of paper." He takes the paper, writes something, and hands it to the clerk, who sees it is a bill for $400 in 'service charges'. He sputters, "Four hundred dollars, for what!?"

"Sleeping with my wife," he replies.

"But I didn't sleep with your wife, sir!"

"No, but she was there for your use, so I gotta charge ya!"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-11 09:34 AM
    I don't think that's the Front camera, I though it was a Sensor or Connectivity Stuff, That kind of thing.
    Looks abit weird if the Front Camera is really there.
    04-02-11 09:49 AM
    Being the first to have something like a front camera really only matters to a few people. Choice, well, you could infer Android gives you choice in hardware, if you want touchscreen or landscape-sliders, of which there is a host of devices. One portrait keyboard limits the choice there.

As yet, the demand is very limited for video chat. The app choices to use it are there, but limited. The usage of video chat isn't in great demand yet, and with carriers clamping down on data use, probably aren't going to be conducive to widespread use, because they use a ton of bandwidth.

So, until they get it going well, and the bugs worked out of the logistical tail that's trying to wag the dog, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend to add a feature that only X number will use.

And while there may be choice of apps on iPhone, you get one form factor. Period. Simplifies the choice to none. Take it or leave it.

The arguments remind me of a joke. A man goes to the desk so that he may pay his hotel bill. He's stayed just overnight, got in late, and is checking out early. He is stunned when the clerk hands him the bill for $383.62. The man demands to know why he is being charged such an outrageous tab.

"Well, sir, we have the 9-Hole golf Course for you to play on, that is a wonderful amenity. It's there for your use."

"Well, I don't swim, and just came in for a good nights' rest, so I think $60 is more reasonable, don't you?"

"Well, sir, that doesn't account for the riding stables that are there for you to use."

"Ok, buddy, gimme a piece of paper." He takes the paper, writes something, and hands it to the clerk, who sees it is a bill for $400 in 'service charges'. He sputters, "Four hundred dollars, for what!?"

that is not the same at all. you know the upfront cost before you spend the night there. The phones wont cost more to the consumer either. RIM might lose a few bucks but that is part of the business.

if you buy a PB who you going to video chat with? you need more people to have access to devices with that availability. Like i mentioned its not big now, but what about 1.5 years from now when these devices will be less than 1 year old? LTE and 4G will be much further along and there will be many more device on those networks so i am sure videochat will become more popular along with it.
    MattyG27 likes this.
    04-02-11 10:19 AM

While I can see your arguement BergerKing and agree with some of it, not all of it holds true IMO.
    RIM is has been behind hardware and spec-wise for sometime now and with this Monaco, while they upped the specs, they still aren't totally(althou pretty close) ahead or in-line with the competition. Which is also fine as long as they get the most out of the hardware and software they have, then if the phone outperforms phones with better hardware and specs then who cares. However this hasn't been the case and that's why everyone would rather see OS7 rather then 6.1 right now.
    This phone isn't even out yet and while some phones out now DO have 1.2ghz processors(Droid2 Global), other phones that are set to come out by the time this phone launches will be dual core, or who knows what else will be annouced in the coming months. So back to the front cam arguement, most if not all of these phones I'm talking about do or will have front cams, while the Monaco won't and will be competiting with these phones. So while people are comparing a new phone on the shelf, a front cam is a better feature. Althou people might not know what for, but then again a BB can do many of the same things an iPhone can do, althou not better, and still people choose the iPhone instead due to feature and things they may have no idea what they are for or do.
    People are blinded by hype and features which is what happens with the iPhone a lot. People see a video chat commercial or app commercial for the iPhone on tv and then go to the store to check it out. Well if they were in the market for a touchscreen in going to the store and more interest was spawed by the commercial then why would they look at a Monaco that doesn't have that feature?? The sales rep could say, well this phone has an app store also, which is growing but not as large as Apple but yes, it doesn't have video chat or a front cam. Then when comparing it to any new Androids they all have front cams, so what would they pick? I mean if the clerk knew he had the opportunity to sleep with the guests wife then don't you think he would've taken it Regardless if it cost 400 dollars, maybe he could've got a 2 year contract to sleep with her and only payed 100 bucks, pretty sweet deal huh Customers will pay for better features is my point here.

The demand for video chat is gonna become a lot more relevant with all these new phones having front cams. If you build it then they will come, think that's from a movie or something So when RIM isn't giving that feature then that leaves them still behind the competition.
    The iPhone might have only one form factor but in that form factor it gives you every option you could possibly want software wise. Android does the same thing but just with many form factors. RIM needs to be offering everything the other guys are if they want to catch up or even compete. If RIM is worried about bandwidth then only offer it over wi-fi, problem solved, afterall that's what the iPhone does or started off with.
    I didn't think the front cam was a big deal until I got to mess around with it on the iPhone and realized how convienant it is just to have. While I don't think that's a front cam blacked out I sure wish it was
    04-02-11 10:41 AM
    Front-facing cams are really low on a priority list, in real life. Until devices have the power and there is more open bandwidth to use, I don't see a lot of demand or usefulness for it. Nice wish, but not very practical.

Are you serious? Having a front facing camera has made my life much more pleasurable. For me at least. I spend lots of time traveling for work & it allows me to instantly be able to video chat with my kids(who have a hard time with Daddy being out of town) whenever I like. When I get a few moments, I just Skype the wife & my kids are instantly in a much better mood that they can see & talk with me. It's much better than having to break out a laptop.

It also has its uses in the Enterprise environment as well though lower on the priority list. I'm just saying let's not diminish its usefulness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MattyG27 likes this.
    04-02-11 11:29 AM
    I can see the usefulness. However, on a business trip I can video on my laptop. It's during the business day a quick video conference with the family would be nice.
    04-02-11 12:50 PM
    if you buy a PB who you going to video chat with? you need more people to have access to devices with that availability. Like i mentioned its not big now, but what about 1.5 years from now when these devices will be less than 1 year old? LTE and 4G will be much further along and there will be many more device on those networks so i am sure videochat will become more popular along with it.
    Video chat has been around for many years now and the carriers thought that it was going to be one of the things that drove the original uptake of 3g devices, but it simply didn't happen then and while this new push is likely to be a bit more successful, it isn't likely to explode into popularity overnight this time round either.
    04-02-11 02:35 PM
    Are you serious? Having a front facing camera has made my life much more pleasurable. For me at least. I spend lots of time traveling for work & it allows me to instantly be able to video chat with my kids(who have a hard time with Daddy being out of town) whenever I like. When I get a few moments, I just Skype the wife & my kids are instantly in a much better mood that they can see & talk with me. It's much better than having to break out a laptop.

It also has its uses in the Enterprise environment as well though lower on the priority list. I'm just saying let's not diminish its usefulness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have to agree. I work with 3000 other people that travel as part of work. Many buy the iPhone simply for the facetime function, so they can see the wife/husband and kids they don't get to see more then half of the month.
    04-02-11 02:39 PM
    I agree with some of you that it would be cool and useful to have but as of right now I really don't give a flying f#@k if my phone (including future devices) has a front facing camera.

04-02-11 02:54 PM
    It is strange that all the leasked monaco pics have something bizzare covering the top right side of the phone. If u all remember the first leaked photo, there was an 'M' sticker covering the area as well. It looked like it was just covering the LED, but comon, why cover the basic LED??? My gut tells me its something more surprising.

04-03-11 03:57 AM
    I'm sure w all the people who have had this device in their hands we would know if it had a FF camera or not. It doesn't!!!! If it did I'm sure whoever was leaking would want that feature leaked above all so that I as a consumer might have more incentive to wait for this phone.

04-03-11 12:02 PM
    I'm sure w all the people who have had this device in their hands we would know if it had a FF camera or not. It doesn't!!!! If it did I'm sure whoever was leaking would want that feature leaked above all so that I as a consumer might have more incentive to wait for this phone.

If that was the case, then they would just tell us everything they have planned in order to entice us further. But they don't for a reason. And remember, there's a difference between a reg leak and a controlled leak.

I think they include mistery as part of the game. And I could be wrong of course but out of all the leaks, something is consistantly bizzare with that top corner of the phone and they keep hiding it on every single leak

04-03-11 12:32 PM
    ^^^ I would love to eat crow on this ....my contract is up in July. Hopefully this will be leaking into my hands for a test drive.

04-03-11 12:53 PM
    A front facing camera is nothing groundbreaking. I have one on my HP Pavilion laptop and one on my Evo. I've used my camera more on my HP than on my Evo. It has its advantages for some people in certain circumstance, but for the everyday Joe Schmo, it's novelty.
    04-03-11 01:33 PM
    My guess is the blue arrow on the right is pointing to the proximity sensor, since its a touch phone. The left blue arrow is pointing at a fingerprint from someone locking/unlocking the phone...
    04-03-11 02:03 PM
    My guess is the blue arrow on the right is pointing to the proximity sensor, since its a touch phone. The left blue arrow is pointing at a fingerprint from someone locking/unlocking the phone...
    I thought they could be fingerprints but they look pretty distinct.

As for the proximity sensor, that's the mesh strip above the Blackberry logo.
    04-03-11 02:11 PM
    the mesh strip is the speaker. it might have other things in it though
    04-03-11 02:18 PM
    the mesh strip is the speaker. it might have other things in it though
    Oh man that's embarrassing, you guys are right. So where is the prox sensor?
    04-03-11 02:30 PM
    I thought they could be fingerprints but they look pretty distinct.

As for the proximity sensor, that's the mesh strip above the Blackberry logo.
    Hmmm, there's sound coming out of the Prox sensor on my 9000...

j/k
    04-03-11 02:37 PM
    they are hard to find sometimes, i just found it in my thunderbolt and its actually right in the "V" logo
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    04-03-11 02:45 PM
    I deserve that TheScionicMan!

Howarmat thanks. So I'm guessing it's right under the LED light on my 9550 since the opening is larger than is needed for the LED.
    04-03-11 02:54 PM
    take a flashlight and shine it on there and you should be able to see it, i cant get to mine to look right now
    04-03-11 03:03 PM
    I deserve that TheScionicMan!

Howarmat thanks. So I'm guessing it's right under the LED light on my 9550 since the opening is larger than is needed for the LED.
    The top part of the LED on the 9550 is the proximity sensor. You can see a small gold plate with a round sensor in the middle. If you ever had a 9530 it did not have a proximity sensor taking up some of the LED's space, so it appeared to have a brighter LED than the 9550.
    UrbanGlowCam and Mr One 2 like this.
    04-03-11 08:59 PM
    The top part of the LED on the 9550 is the proximity sensor. You can see a small gold plate with a round sensor in the middle. If you ever had a 9530 it did not have a proximity sensor taking up some of the LED's space, so it appeared to have a brighter LED than the 9550.
    Thanks for clearing that up bighap. I did have a 9530 and that makes sense. I always wondered why the 9550 seemed dimmer.
    04-03-11 09:24 PM
    Thanks for clearing that up bighap. I did have a 9530 and that makes sense. I always wondered why the 9550 seemed dimmer.
    Plus 1..... I thought the s2 led was pretty lame in comparison as well. Now I have been wondering what that hole beneath the camera button is? Sorry for being off topic op.

04-03-11 09:30 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD