View Poll Results: Would you switc to an Android Phone or Iphone if you could keep Blackberry Messenger?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - BBM keeps me on Blackberry

7 25.93%
  • No - I love my Blackberry regardless of BBM

20 74.07%
    I see this pattern from talking to the young ones who were all Iphone fanatics: they are slowly dumping their Iphones for BBerries, and those that do do it, claim it is only for one reason: The MESSENGER.

My questions are:
    • Is MESSENGER the killer app that makes Blackberry so unique?
    • Why can't apple or android have a similar app (maybe an infrastructure backbone story here?)

I am just trying to understand the impact of BBM on blackberry popularity. I know women love it, and dump their Iphones for it, and teens are flocking to it for the same reason.

I am just puzzled that the competitors have let this go so long? Can they be dumb? I doubt it, so maybe it is a hardware issue and longterm compettive advantage?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by mikeycollins13; 01-21-10 at 06:56 AM. Reason: typo
    01-21-10 06:51 AM
    BBM is a big part and would allow me to leave my berry at home as I already carry an iPhone as well. Email was one, but I've got my email set up for exchange and get it instantly.
    01-21-10 07:14 AM
    trying to bump the thread up for more votes...
    01-21-10 02:02 PM
    The whole reason why I got a blackberry was because of the keyboard and usability. BBM was never came to mind with the purchase.
    01-21-10 02:23 PM
    I wouldn't use an iAnything if you gave it to me for free. Dysfunctional art = fail.
    01-21-10 02:36 PM
    I used to have an HTC touch and while the touch screen phones are fun to play with they do get boring after awhile and man there is nothing in the world that beats having a physical(REAL) keyboard !!! main reason i jumped over to the blackberry side of the fence ....
    01-21-10 02:43 PM
    Short answer? No.
    Long answer? Not so much.
    I dislike touchscreens, and the droid keyboards are totally unsatisfactory to my tastes. Zero ergonomics. I would consider it on a decent form factor, but all of the droids fail to meet my needs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 02:46 PM
    The whole reason why I got a blackberry was because of the keyboard and usability. BBM was never came to mind with the purchase.
    Second this
    01-21-10 09:19 PM
    No. i am satisfied with what my BlackBerry does. i didn't know about BBM when i got my first BB.
    01-21-10 09:21 PM
    was an iphone user since summer '09
    switched to bold..
    i love it.. no more iphone (although i'm a mac user)
    01-21-10 10:05 PM
    BBM has zero impact on me keeping my Bold over any device i could/will own, because the way i look at it, its just another IM service that i dont use often enough to factor in when purchasing a new phone. Id say most people dont even know wtf BBM is until they actually own a BB, and even then you need to know OTHER people with a BB and exchange PINs.

While i will be getting a Pre as a project phone for WebOS when it drops on ATT since i wanna program some stuff with it, the reason i stick with BlackBerry is because it works, it has the best keyboard available on any phone, and is reliable (these recent outtages arent world ending like they are to some people, even with my exchange emails).

BBM is now just a community thing where fellow users of the same phone family are able to talk to each other all over the world, and its exclusive to only BlackBerry users. BBM is a cool feature, and seeing as how we have an entire section devoted to PIN sharing its somewhat popular...but nearly everyone has text messaging/AIM/MSN/Google Talk/whatever so you can easily live without BBM if you moved to another platform.
    01-21-10 10:33 PM
    I forgot about that little point - the keyboard. For real Blacjberry users the keyboard is a real plus, I totally agreee and actually forgot that. Touch keyboard suck.

But I also then do not understand the guys who buy the Touch screen Blackberry. It has a one inch sheet of glass and you need a hammer and chisel to type.

My feeling was that for many of the consumer users (female home makers, students) The BBM was the killer app. I think for working stiffs the keyboard is the killer differentiator, but for retail/ consumer market, it is the BBM.

I just can't see any other reasons why teens would be switching over?

Any thoughts?
    01-22-10 03:04 AM
    I didn't even know there was a BlackBerry Messenger when I bought my BlackBerry. I used it for a little while but the fascination wore off after a few months.

It's just too big of an app for all the more it does, and being a closed loop (BB to BB only) makes its appeal limited in my eyes.

So no, BBM isn't why I have a BlackBerry and having it on other devices wouldn't make me flock to them.
    01-22-10 03:07 AM
    I forgot about that little point - the keyboard. For real Blacjberry users the keyboard is a real plus, I totally agreee and actually forgot that. Touch keyboard suck.

But I also then do not understand the guys who buy the Touch screen Blackberry. It has a one inch sheet of glass and you need a hammer and chisel to type.

My feeling was that for many of the consumer users (female home makers, students) The BBM was the killer app. I think for working stiffs the keyboard is the killer differentiator, but for retail/ consumer market, it is the BBM.

I just can't see any other reasons why teens would be switching over?

Any thoughts?
    People bought the Storm (like myself) because it was the newest AND best phone Verizon had in 08 (it was the Droid in 09). It was a serious alternative for a carrier to the iPhone that was hilariously terrible if you didnt finesse the phone (read: come to CB and research how to make the phone not suck until a new OS comes out). The Storm 2 has been vastly overshadowed by other products that carriers have now, so you will never see the Storm 2 have the same number of users as the original Storm. I like the idea behind SurePress, but the UI is just terrible on the Storm/2 and compared to other touchscreen devices there is zero reason to get a Storm now.

BBM is far from the killer app that keeps one on a BB.

Apple has made the iPhone so easy to use an imbecile with Mac envy or just an imbecile in general can use it. Apple's success is greatly based off iTunes (look on any computer and i bet they use iTunes for their music client) and its simplicity along with the power of a graphically pleasing and powerful OS and great content via the app store (this is a huge feature as well, it gives you more reason to use your phone and keep it).

Also, the iPhone is the "in and trendy" device similar to the iPod. I personally know 13 people who bought an iPhone because their friend owned one. I know roughly about 60 people who own an iPhone as well. Apple has done well to make their products desirable, and this halo effect is helping them with Mac sales now as iPhone users now want Macs.
    01-22-10 09:46 AM
    I don't see the point of BBM. Everyone is on gtalk...
    01-22-10 10:25 AM
    Not only no....But H*LL no!! I need the tactile response of a hardware keyboard. Buying an iPhone is just drinking the kool-aid, and joining the apple iwannabecool. While it's a nice phone. And YES, most likely there's an app for that. I'll stick with my berry. It does what I need, and it's been good to me. Anyway, who wants a smudgy touch screen makin their phone look nasty. Then again, I'm a little OCD and carry a micro-fiber cloth , in my briefcase, to wipe my phone down with. ewww ear oil....LOL
    01-22-10 10:48 AM
    I don't see the point of BBM. Everyone is on gtalk...
    Yeah, GTalk seems almost identical to me or at least close enough. BBM is limited to just BB users...
    01-22-10 10:53 AM
    LOL
    Blackberry messenger... on iPhone XD

How about giving app store to my curve
    I WANT TAP TAP 3 AGAIN
    haha

just trying to be humorous...
    01-22-10 11:35 AM
    Overall BB functionality brought me and will keep me. The only phones I envy are BB but not 9000.

01-22-10 11:40 AM
    yep same hear man
    01-23-10 03:22 AM
    I use bb for reliability and know my emails will be sent and received. I love keyboards, hate touch. Never quick enough. Too glitchy, I never knew about bbm, so not the reason I use bb.

01-23-10 04:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD