12-06-10 01:19 PM
32 12
tools
    I constantly see ppl trying to get rid of BBM. So, I decided to give it a few tries and here's what I've come up with.

Just so you know, I'm running Sprint's .654 on my 8530.

Goto BB Appworld and download BBM. It will ask you if you want to rewrite the current installation. Choose YES. Let it go through the paces of installing and rebooting. Once it's complete go back to Appworld and click MyWorld. Find BlackBerry Messenger and choose delete. Once again, let it go through it's paces. Afterward, you should be BBM free like me. ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-10 06:59 PM
    Post a screenshot of your applications screen as I believe you will see it is still there, just the links on your homescreen are gone. With OS5 it is almost impossible to uninstall BBM.
    07-05-10 07:15 PM
    I checked the Apps screen and it doesn't show BBM. I don't know how to take a screenshot without one of those apps. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it or try it yourself.

07-05-10 07:45 PM
    I checked the Apps screen and it doesn't show BBM. I don't know how to take a screenshot without one of those apps. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it or try it yourself.

By the apps screen I mean go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications>Scroll down and see if Blackberry Messenger isn't still listed. I believe you will see it is still there along with the version number that is installed. The reason is I tried what you said quite some time ago, and it is still installed, you just won't have a link to start it up anymore.
    07-05-10 08:00 PM
    You can remove it from the OS. An easy way for anyone having issues is to go into AppWorld, download it again, then remove it after it installs. This should remove from device entirely.
    07-05-10 08:03 PM
    I know what you mean kwkid. I just don't have a way of taking a screenshot to prove that it's not there. I checked Core, Add-on and Third Party Apps and it's not there.

drm2blv, that's what I did.

Let's hope it doesn't reappear when I hook it up to the Desktop Manager.

07-05-10 08:11 PM
    You can remove it from the OS. An easy way for anyone having issues is to go into AppWorld, download it again, then remove it after it installs. This should remove from device entirely.
    So I wonder if this is somehow OS specific as when I look under apps, it is still there, even after following the instructions you posted?
    07-05-10 08:13 PM
    Hmm, that I wouldn't know. But, it seems to be the only thing that makes sense. I'm sure when os6 comes out we'll be stuck with it no matter what we do.

07-05-10 08:23 PM
    Hmm, that I wouldn't know. But, it seems to be the only thing that makes sense. I'm sure when os6 comes out we'll be stuck with it no matter what we do.

Just out of curiosity, what OS are you running?
    07-05-10 08:46 PM
    They said 654, I'm running 734, it did work, went to check add-on and core, no longer there. The op had time on they're hands lol

07-05-10 09:01 PM
    They said 654, I'm running 734, it did work, went to check add-on and core, no longer there. The op had time on they're hands lol

Yeah, I missed that in the first post, thanks. I'm running 4.6 so that may be where the conflict comes in. One thing though, on the next update via DM, I believe it will come right back unless they exclude it somehow in the update process. It would be interesting to know for sure though.
    07-05-10 09:13 PM
    But those "updates" from Desktop Manager... Provided there were no OS releases, are just DM trying to make sure you have all the core apps installed. I keep getting Gmail plugin and European Portuguese when it loads up.

So, no BBM. I bet the devices are booting 40-60 seconds faster.
    07-05-10 09:20 PM
    I know what you mean kwkid. I just don't have a way of taking a screenshot to prove that it's not there. I checked Core, Add-on and Third Party Apps and it's not there.

drm2blv, that's what I did.

Let's hope it doesn't reappear when I hook it up to the Desktop Manager.

Google captureit on your bb. Then download it. Set one of your convenience keys for it. You will then be able to get screen shots. Its a free app.
    07-05-10 09:25 PM
    I wouldn't doubt it will come back after an os update, just run this tutorial again lol.

07-05-10 10:02 PM
    Sorry, stepped away to have a few beers and kill some zombies.

I'm certain it will come back when/if Sprint releases an update.

diegonei, You can choose to delete all the crazy languages via DM. I did and now have 81mb of free space.

07-05-10 11:48 PM
    Sorry, stepped away to have a few beers and kill some zombies.

I'm certain it will come back when/if Sprint releases an update.

diegonei, You can choose to delete all the crazy languages via DM. I did and now have 81mb of free space.

Really? How nice is that! (Thanks for the tip but I already do hardcore cod removing ) I REALLY only have what I need on my device.

What I mean was: Since I don't have the *_pt.cod files but I do have the *_pt_BR.cod files, and for DM they all should be there, so I always get an update telling me about it. Same for the gmail plugin (since I don't have the help files).

So, care to tell me: Is the BBMless device booting faster or not? :P
    07-06-10 12:48 AM
    Maybe it's due to the consumption of multiple frosty beverages, but I didn't understand the majority of that.

I've gotta say that my BB does boot a little quicker. Maybe not as fast as one of those fancy multilingual BBs that you've managed to get your hands on though. ;-)

07-06-10 01:06 AM
    I'll second that, I didn't notice a difference in boot up since it was the boot up after deletion of BBM, but speed elsewhere is faster, less lag on the menus, the transitions are quicker, I'll download captureit tomorrow to get a screenshot proving its gone if I get a chance. I'll be busy with moving tomorrow.

07-06-10 02:00 AM
    Don't get why someone would like to delete BBM D:

07-06-10 02:10 AM
    Worked for me! Thank you!

Don't get why someone would like to delete BBM D:
    For me it would be that, I don't know anyone who has a BB. So it is a waste of space.
    07-06-10 02:47 AM
    Worked for me! Thank you!

For me it would be that, I don't know anyone who has a BB. So it is a waste of space.
    well i supose that's a good reason, not used to blackberry being not popular in some places
    07-06-10 03:21 AM
    Well, its pop down here, for every iphone there's 6 bb's behind him lol. Bbm is something I don't use, its always sms and mms. Even with other bb owners, its the same thing just a different folder to us I suppose. I'm running a battery test today, can't tell anything about booting cause 734 os is good at booting lol.

07-06-10 05:24 AM
    You hit the nail on the head Lilin28. I know 2 ppl with BBs and neither one of them use it. I figure if BB ever picks up popularity I can always download BBM.

07-06-10 10:12 AM
    I didn't know that was possible. But not trying that, I'm addicted to BBM, .

But this is a good thing to know, in case you don't need BBM.
    07-06-10 10:51 AM
    Really? How nice is that! (Thanks for the tip but I already do hardcore cod removing ) I REALLY only have what I need on my device.

What I mean was: Since I don't have the *_pt.cod files but I do have the *_pt_BR.cod files, and for DM they all should be there, so I always get an update telling me about it. Same for the gmail plugin (since I don't have the help files).

So, care to tell me: Is the BBMless device booting faster or not? :P
    I must say, 127mb of app memory, impressive. I barely got 121 after installing OS 5 and right now I have at the most 109mb. I have like 20 apps and 6 themes.

07-06-10 10:52 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD