HP to License WebOS to Spread Adoption - Mobiledia

HP today said it plans license its WebOS platform, as the company hopes to spark interest from developers to help it compete with Apple and Google.

Top News
    ITTO: Teenagers Revive Dead Languages Through Texting
    T-Mobile G2x Camera Beats Others, Consumer Reports Says
    AT&T to Sell Facebook Phone
    China Blocks Google+
    Facebook Hires Hacker for Good
    More News >
    The Palo Alto, Calif.-based company, which trimmed its financial outlook by $1 billion last month, is hoping to license WebOS and spread the adoption of the struggling platform.

"We are talking to a number of companies," said HP CEO Leo Apotheker to Bloomberg. "I can share with you that a number of companies have expressed interest. We are continuing our conversations."

Apotheker said the company is not in a rush to find a suitable partner.

Three sources say HP has already met with Samsung about the possibility of installing WebOS on Samsung's smartphones. The South Korean company currently uses Android for its Galaxy tablet, but may use WebOS to customize its smartphone line.

HP is looking for a partner who can offer design and development improvements to the system.

"Our model is not to be in the licensing business," said Jon Rubinstein, the executive in charge of developing WebOS. "We believe there is strength in being able to build the ecosystem, but HP is willing to partner with one or two special companies."

History is not on HP's side, as no company has ever licensed its operating system to a competitor while still using the system in its own hardware.

Companies either solely license their own systems, like Google and Microsoft, or create first-party devices to run the operating system, like Apple and RIM.

HP's goal is to compete with Apple's iOS and Google's Android in the software field. But to do so, HP needs WebOS to become a viable option for handset makers so they can attract developers to their platform.

HP has had difficulty selling its handsets and tablets, as consumers continue to choose Apple and Android devices. If HP can find a partner to use WebOS and create a large user base for the platform, it can attract developers to its operating system.

The problem for HP is Apple and Google's massive popularity. Google currently dominates the U.S. smartphone market, controlling around 50 percent, while Apple controls over a quarter. Consumers are deciding with their dollars, leaving little breathing room for HP to make an impact on the market.

HP must find a partner to use WebOS if it hopes to have to succeed against mobile giants Apple and Google. If it is unable to do so, the company has little to no chance of gaining ground on the more popular operating systems on the market.

A licensing partnership may help the OS scale more quickly in the market, but that market is already full of fierce competitors already staking out territory with consumers.

To speed up development of WebOS, in March, HP said it would ship every one of its PCs with the ability to run the fledgling platform.

I know this has been brought up before however I think it's worth taking a look at again. Granted, I think having one OS only is in RIM's best interest. Which is why I support the choice to not choose android or WinPho. However, I think Web OS is a different story.

If they were to relase web os handsets, it would take the the pressure off of having to develop for an os in the short term. It may even boost sales, since they are a hardware manufacturer.

I know it's crazy and I know many will be against it. But then again, why not? Especially in the short term....

****, BBM on another platform, especially when controlled between the two companies sounds like a good idea....
    06-29-11 05:04 PM
    No. RIM needs to keep going with the Tablet OS. It almost has the security certifications necessary to connect to the BIS/BES infrastructure. Why go to an OS that they would have to start the OS certification over? They'll have android app support with the player. I see no value add in RIM licensing WebOS.
    06-29-11 05:08 PM
    WebOS offers no advantages to RIM. It has not been able to attract app developers.
    06-29-11 05:30 PM
    Aren't they already using it on the PlayBook?
    06-29-11 06:34 PM
    Webos is a dead end license... Hp is doing it because they can't launch a successful product with webos
    06-30-11 05:07 AM
    Webos is a dead end license... Hp is doing it because they can't launch a successful product with webos
    I don't see this as a bad thing though. Hardware is really becoming less irrelevant. Yes, you need good hardware but that's easy to come by. It's building and eco-system around hardware that connects things together and companies are starting to realize that. Especially after the success of the iphone.
    06-30-11 09:44 AM
    I agree with papped. WebOS is a dead end product. It has never produced a really good product. RIM should let it die a well deserved death and continue soley with QNX which, they own.
    06-30-11 09:46 AM
    it would be interesting, but everyone knows RIM are probably never going to use someone elses OS to power their devices. i believe theres a ton of potential with QNX...if its already capable of running military grade machines, im sure RIM will eventually wow us with something down the road
    06-30-11 12:12 PM
    it would be interesting, but everyone knows RIM are probably never going to use someone elses OS to power their devices. i believe theres a ton of potential with QNX...if its already capable of running military grade machines, im sure RIM will eventually wow us with something down the road
    I know they wouldn't and I am not saying that QNX is going to fail. I think otherwise. However, it's not a bad idea to have other OSes on your devices. Even if it's just for consumers.

It would take the pressure off of them and allow them to get handsets out faster.
    06-30-11 12:18 PM
    Fact is its harder to make money on someone elses os, especially if that os has no support or known good products to begin with.

Bb os5 has better app support than webos and every other licensed os would basically be a better choice for anyone (wp7, android, etc).

they're welcome to try but it won't be pretty.
    06-30-11 12:29 PM
    I know they wouldn't and I am not saying that QNX is going to fail. I think otherwise. However, it's not a bad idea to have other OSes on your devices. Even if it's just for consumers.

It would take the pressure off of them and allow them to get handsets out faster.

oh yeah i see what u sayin man...

webOS on a RIM device would be very interesting lol
    06-30-11 01:36 PM
    Palm webOS was an excellent OS imo, the way it did everything was brilliant, having owned devices with that OS i was sorry to see it go as i moved over to the BB and mainly because of the PB. There are a lot similar things that you can quite clearly see have been copied from webOS to QNX.

webOS is more or less out of the fight now, the development of apps just didn't happen and when HP took over palm that was it the ship was starting to sing. At least Palm where interested in their customers unlike HP.

RIM need to keep developing their own device and I do believe that there is a lot more to come from RIM
    07-01-11 03:29 AM
    HPwebOS is more or less out of the fight now, the development of apps just didn't happen and when HP took over palm that was it the ship was starting to sing. At least Palm where interested in their customers unlike HP.

RIM need to keep developing their own device and I do believe that there is a lot more to come from RIM
    I disagree with WebOS is dead or out of the picture. HP seems to be dedicated to make WebOS successful with its plans to implement it also into their computers and printers not only smartphones/tablets. HP is much bigger and has more resources than RIM to attract or pay major app developers to develop for webOS.

The mobile tech community also is very aware that RIM has copied almost completely everything from webOS and have little respect for BB QNX. This has hurt RIM's BB QNX ability to attract developers to the platform.

RIM might be better off switching to WebOS which is more polished and feature rich for a couple of yrs while redesigning BB QNX with a unique UI design of it's own instead cloning the competition.

This is coming from a PlayBook owner and Windows Phone fan.

07-01-11 07:58 AM
    WebOS is DEAD.

EVERYBODY bought a piece of the Nortel patents to fight against Google --- except HP.

HP doesn't have a long term strategic position on the mobile business anymore.
    07-01-11 01:49 PM
    WebOS is DEAD.
    HP doesn't have a long term strategic position on the mobile business anymore.
    They actually never really had one. They stated that they originally purchased Palm specifically not to compete in the mobile market, but just for IP.
    07-01-11 02:43 PM
    WebOS is D.O.A.

Today, Developers are a huge part of an OS's success. I don't think HP will be able to lure developers back. Why develop for a new OS that has little to no market share when you have Apple, Android, WP7, and QNX.

If HP wanted to get into the smartphone market they should have licensed WP7 or Android. I think the mobile OS Market is crowded and will be difficult for a new player to join. HP nice try but your only 4 years too late.
    07-02-11 09:29 AM
    WebOS was/is very popular and well liked by users. I have no first hand knowledge, just that is the general opinion out there based on the sites I frequent.

That said; I don't see RIM going that route. Should they? I dunno. QNX seems like a good platform... the question being is RIM able to make it work.
    07-02-11 10:02 AM
    WebOS is dead 2 years ago and soon HP buried it, no chance of survival wats so ever. Neither it has a fan fare like a Blackberry nor any substance new in it's OS to attract developers to rise from it's ashes. When a company like MSFT can't move 2 million units in an year what chance does HP has now? lately HP is not doing good either on the stock exchange, trading at their 52 lows
    07-02-11 06:22 PM
    WebOS is dead 2 years ago and soon HP buried it, no chance of survival wats so ever. Neither it has a fan fare like a Blackberry nor any substance new in it's OS to attract developers to rise from it's ashes. When a company like MSFT can't move 2 million units in an year what chance does HP has now? lately HP is not doing good either on the stock exchange, trading at their 52 lows
    If your opinion on WebOS is correct.. Than RIM's PlayBook OS has absolutely no chance to succeed at all since it is nearly a complete copy of WebOS with less features. Developing for and porting apps to WebOS is also much more easier than it is for BB QNX.

BB QNX has nothing over WebOS to make developers choose the copy over the original.
    07-02-11 06:45 PM
    If your opinion on WebOS is correct.. Than RIM's PlayBook OS has absolutely no chance to succeed at all since it is nearly a complete copy of WebOS with less features. Developing for and porting apps to WebOS is also much more easier than it is for BB QNX.

BB QNX has nothing over WebOS to make developers choose the copy over the original.
    dude you are comparing a company that has 60 million userbase to one that has nothing. in btw BB Tablet OS is not webOS and it is above and beyond that, go check out a Touchpad and come back to tell us, tell me if it does true multitasking or glorified multi-tasking like iPad (suspending task's in the back ground), tell me how the browser looks on Touchpad (scored something 4200+ points in sunspider tests which is worse than last gen iPad, the current gen tablets are in the 2200+ range), flash performance meh..when compared to Playbook. Can it upload files to internet, answer is no. 1.2 Ghz processor lags on touchpad, why? because it can't do SMP (symmetric multi-processing) unlike QNX.

BB Tablet OS is influenced by certain elements of the UI from webOS but it not the same. Every thing that the Playbook can do in its current form---it does a lot better than the webOS does. (namely consumption of media - playing/streaming video, surfing the internet, multitasking, music, etc.). Come next year, it will be heavly Tat-fied to unleash the awesomeness.

Last but not least if you are the last one lingering around to troll about webOS, I would advice you better ditch your webOS device and jump to someother platform as it is going to be EOL soon.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 07-02-11 at 08:12 PM.
    07-02-11 08:10 PM
    QNX will be more popular than webOs as a whole within a few months, if it isn't already, without having even released a single phone.

WebOs never took off to die in the first place... It started out flat.
    07-03-11 01:13 AM
    (1) It wasn't Apotheker's idea to buy Palm, it was Mark Hurd's. The new guy ain't going to put good money after bad to save a pet project that wasn't even his idea.
    (2) Cisco killed Flip even though Flip was profitable --- because it wasn't a core business.
    (3) The whole Wall Street wants HP to become an IBM clone where high profit margin software and consulting business are the core businesses. Wall Street wants HP to get rid of its PC division.
    (4) HP didn't join the "grand alliance" to bid the Nortel patents. Basically anyone who wants a long term mobile option ponied up the money to fight against Google's Android.
    (5) HP can't license WebOS out to handset makers because it can't give them 4G patent protection. Microsoft can.
    07-03-11 01:29 AM
    QNX has been around more than webOS. Even if WebOS is a declining or dead project, if people want to continue to use it, let them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-11 04:20 AM
    dude you are comparing a company that has 60 million userbase to one that has nothing. in btw BB Tablet OS is not webOS and it is above and beyond that, go check out a Touchpad and come back to tell us, tell me if it does true multitasking or glorified multi-tasking like iPad (suspending task's in the back ground), tell me how the browser looks on Touchpad (scored something 4200+ points in sunspider tests which is worse than last gen iPad, the current gen tablets are in the 2200+ range), flash performance meh..when compared to Playbook. Can it upload files to internet, answer is no. 1.2 Ghz processor lags on touchpad, why? because it can't do SMP (symmetric multi-processing) unlike QNX.

BB Tablet OS is influenced by certain elements of the UI from webOS but it not the same. Every thing that the Playbook can do in its current form---it does a lot better than the webOS does. (namely consumption of media - playing/streaming video, surfing the internet, multitasking, music, etc.). Come next year, it will be heavly Tat-fied to unleash the awesomeness.

Last but not least if you are the last one lingering around to troll about webOS, I would advice you better ditch your webOS device and jump to someother platform as it is going to be EOL soon.
    The HP TouchPad has true multitasking and can running multiple apps at the same time. Here is a video of the TP with 38 apps open,

Browsing, Playing videos, and Flash on the TouchPad is just as good as the PlayBook. See here,

This guy gives Good Reasons why RIM should switch to WebOS,

WebOS is far superior to BB QNX and RIM should definitely switch to it as soon as possible...

Actually, I'm a Windows Phone fanboy (Samsung Focus) but I own a PB and Palm Pre...
    Last edited by Rainforrest; 07-04-11 at 12:05 AM.
    07-03-11 11:45 PM
    WebOS was/is very popular and well liked by users. I have no first hand knowledge, just that is the general opinion out there based on the sites I frequent.

That said; I don't see RIM going that route. Should they? I dunno. QNX seems like a good platform... the question being is RIM able to make it work.
    It may be well liked by its users but it is certainly not popular.
    07-04-11 12:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD