Hi, a friend gave me Blackberry Curve and inserted a Globe Roaming Simcard from the Philippines but I couldn't use the BBM part of it. I tried adding some friends pin but nothing happens, they invited me too but didn't work. I could use the wifi perfectly though. They said that I could use the BBM through wifi. I just don't know what else needs to be configured on my phone like service books, apn or whatsoever, please help me. I don't have a usb cable by the way.
    03-27-11 12:18 AM
    For using bbm you must activate a BlackBerry data plan (BIS)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 01:32 AM
    To use it through wifi, you still need a data plan. Using it through wifi just means BIS data gets tunneled through wifi instead of the carrier's cell towers. You need a BIS data plan to be able to "authenticate" with the blackberry servers.

03-27-11 02:50 AM
    Devilvision666, you need to sign up for Globe's blackberry plans if using the Globe sim. Are you located in the Philippines? There are affordable ones for a monthly fee of P300 which will enable you to use BBM and other IM apps.

03-27-11 04:42 AM
    Devilvision666, you need to sign up for Globe's blackberry plans if using the Globe sim. Are you located in the Philippines? There are affordable ones for a monthly fee of P300 which will enable you to use BBM and other IM apps.

thanks guys, so in other words there is no other way for me to use BBM without getting a BIS then.

Hey evil.bunny, i'm in the us right now. im using a globe roaming sim. so how can i get it then? and how much would it cost me?
    03-27-11 10:46 AM
    why get a blackberry if your not gonna use it the way its supposed to be used?
    buy a data plan! im sure they are cheap where you live.
    03-27-11 12:48 PM
    Hey evil.bunny, i'm in the us right now. im using a globe roaming sim. so how can i get it then? and how much would it cost me?

No way to use without BIS.

Are you using a prepaid SIM? If yes, there's no BIS roaming for prepaid, only postpaid users. Also, if you did have postpaid, it would cost a lot to do roaming (I think it's like P500/day)! Better to get a local US sim, I think I've read that there are pay as you go BIS plans, not positive though.
    03-27-11 01:49 PM
    Try using LiveProfile instead this app is still under public beta... but it's good though. I'm under BIS using prepaid sim but I temporarily disable my "mobile network" just to test and see if it needs data plan from carrier to connect... right now I'm running this app only through my Home DSL using wireless connectivity.
    03-27-11 03:10 PM
    Try using LiveProfile instead this app is still under public beta... but it's good though. I'm under BIS using prepaid sim but I temporarily disable my "mobile network" just to test and see if it needs data plan from carrier to connect... right now I'm running this app only through my Home DSL using wireless connectivity.
    ...If you have BIS, your sim card is inserted, mobile network off and wifi on, bis gets redirected through wifi and its still using BIS. The only way to know a program works on wifi only is by taking the sim card out, otherwise, BIS will get redirected through wifi and it doesn't matter if you have the mobile network off. It only needs the sim card to authenticate.

In your case, you are still using BIS, because your sim card is inserted, and its not different than having BBM running over wifi and mobile network off with a data plan.

03-27-11 05:04 PM
    ...If you have BIS, your sim card is inserted, mobile network off and wifi on, bis gets redirected through wifi and its still using BIS. The only way to know a program works on wifi only is by taking the sim card out, otherwise, BIS will get redirected through wifi and it doesn't matter if you have the mobile network off. It only needs the sim card to authenticate.

In your case, you are still using BIS, because your sim card is inserted, and its not different than having BBM running over wifi and mobile network off with a data plan.

I understand, but I already did that 2 days ago bro, like what you've said that's what i also think about our BIS HERE at first... but then I thought of our network here is not the same as most of you guys there. At first when I read through some posts on other thread/forums I was confused because some of you here can gain a wifi access through your carriers, but here in our place there's no wifi carrier coming from our mobile network operator. we can only access wifi if we stumble an open home dsl wireless network from neighbors.

It's true bro this LP app runs on wireless home network.
    03-28-11 10:43 AM
    I understand, but I already did that 2 days ago bro, like what you've said that's what i also think about our BIS HERE at first... but then I thought of our network here is not the same as most of you guys there. At first when I read through some posts on other thread/forums I was confused because some of you here can gain a wifi access through your carriers, but here in our place there's no wifi carrier coming from our mobile network operator. we can only access wifi if we stumble an open home dsl wireless network from neighbors.

It's true bro this LP app runs on wireless home network.
    Who said anything about the carrier providing WIFI? Carriers dont provide WIFI the way you think they do.

Im talking about WIFI from your home, not the carrier, carriers dont provide WIFI internet unless its a starbucks or something. So, BIS gets tunneled through WIFI, your home WIFI, even your school WIFI. It is still WIFI and it still gets tunneled through it.

So therefore, again, to check if a program works solely on WIFI, you have to take sim card out, otherwise, BIS goes through WIFI, authenticates with the sim card and lets you use blackberry data at your home WIFI.

If you are saying that you ran BIS without a sim card, then you either have a CDMA carrier and blackberry or you are just david copperfield lol.
    Last edited by gbsn; 03-28-11 at 12:29 PM.
    03-28-11 11:39 AM
    Who said anything about the carrier providing WIFI? Carriers dont provide WIFI the way think they do.

Im talking about WIFI from your home, not the carrier, carriers dont provide WIFI internet unless its a starbucks or something. So, BIS gets tunneled through WIFI, your home WIFI, even your school WIFI. It is still WIFI and it still gets tunneled through it.

So therefore, again, to check if a program works solely on WIFI, you have to take sim card out, otherwise, BIS goes through WIFI, authenticates with the sim card and lets you use blackberry data at your home WIFI.

If you are saying that you ran BIS without a sim card, then you either have a CDMA carrier and blackberry or you are just david copperfield lol.
    Hahaha! i'm not saying that i'm running BIS without sim, All that I'm saying is that this LP apps runs even without sim so it doesn't need any data plan nor BIS.

Btw, thanks for the info about tunneling and stuff.
    03-28-11 12:24 PM
    No way to use without BIS.

Are you using a prepaid SIM? If yes, there's no BIS roaming for prepaid, only postpaid users. Also, if you did have postpaid, it would cost a lot to do roaming (I think it's like P500/day)! Better to get a local US sim, I think I've read that there are pay as you go BIS plans, not positive though.
    yeah im using a prepaid roaming sim. too bad. and yeah that's what i also thought for roaming data charges. haha! i might not be able to get a postpaid, because i have a very good deal with cricket pay as you go. unlimited local calls and texts all over us, unli intl text to phils, free internet, & free mobile text to fb for $30. good deal right? so i feel like i don't really need to get a postpaid anymore. thanks anyway.
    03-28-11 09:01 PM
    05-19-13 11:32 AM
    2 year old dead thread, where do you people dig up these relics? And why cant you check the dates before responding to a severely dead thread.
    05-19-13 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD