Hello,
    I am a new user to a Blackberry phone and this is the first ever BB I'm using, I was just wondering what exactly makes Blackberry so secure? Specially using BBM?

I have setup a Gmail account so blackberry servers only saves my EMAIL & PASSWORD ? in order to login since i set up an email account, Is that it ?

Please explain

Thank you.
    03-12-12 01:41 PM
    What makes BBM so secure is that all BBM messages are routed through RIM's servers, making it so that it's much harder to trace and hack.

I'm not sure about using personal email accounts on a BB and whether it's more secure that way, but it's easy to go into your settings in gmail and set it up so you are always using a secure connection to access your email. I had that set up once people started getting spam mail from me. Once I did that, all that spam stopped.

JB
    linuxbbm likes this.
    03-12-12 01:48 PM
    What makes BBM so secure is that all BBM messages are routed through RIM's servers, making it so that it's much harder to trace and hack.

I'm not sure about using personal email accounts on a BB and whether it's more secure that way, but it's easy to go into your settings in gmail and set it up so you are always using a secure connection to access your email. I had that set up once people started getting spam mail from me. Once I did that, all that spam stopped.

JB
    Thank you, You just answered my question so well!
    03-12-12 01:53 PM
    Add to what LordCrankypants already posted....

Compared to SMS messages which use the phone network to send data, the BBM is actually based on TCP/IP packet switching system. In other words, BBM is like MSN or Yahoo Messenger. However, RIM built their phones with encryption on the BBM data packets which make it bloody hard for even the governments to read the information.

Also, the emails are secure on BBs ONLY when both end of the email system is secure. This is why companies host their own email servers with BES where the mail servers installed on Windows Servers are encrypted. However, if you use Gmail or any other mail, it is not secure enough on the back end on the Google servers.
    linuxbbm likes this.
    03-12-12 03:18 PM
    Add to what LordCrankypants already posted....

Compared to SMS messages which use the phone network to send data, the BBM is actually based on TCP/IP packet switching system. In other words, BBM is like MSN or Yahoo Messenger. However, RIM built their phones with encryption on the BBM data packets which make it bloody hard for even the governments to read the information.

Also, the emails are secure on BBs ONLY when both end of the email system is secure. This is why companies host their own email servers with BES where the mail servers installed on Windows Servers are encrypted. However, if you use Gmail or any other mail, it is not secure enough on the back end on the Google servers.
    Thank you so very much, For actually explaining it
    Where ISP and Government can read any sms on our phones this BBM which uses encrypted data services seems really good
    03-13-12 01:10 PM
    Let's not take things too far. Text messages cannot be accessed without a warrant (before or after C-11), and if a warrant is issued, they could get at your BBM text, too. Let's not sensationalize.

JB
    Barljo likes this.
    03-13-12 01:35 PM
  7. T
    Another thing to point out when it comes to BlackBerry security is the security of the data stored on your BlackBerry device. If you've set a password, someone trying to guess your password only has a maximum of ten tries before the device wipes itself. This is true even if he plugs the BlackBerry into a computer and tries to get into it using Desktop Manager/BlackBerry Desktop Software. It's ten tries max. Also, if you've set a strong password and enbled encryption, no one's getting to your data even if he plugs your BlackBerry into specialized equipment and tries to read it directly from the hardware by circumventing the password. Without the actual password, all he will see is encrypted files. You can also protect your media card files by encrypting your media card. Just be sure to select one of the two media card encryption modes that includes a device key. A software program exists that will extrapolate your BlackBerry's password using your enrypted media card if you've selected the "Device Password" media card encryption mode. As for BlackBerry security, it goes like this: if you've set a strong password and properly enabled encryption for your BlackBerry device and media card, no one's getting at your stored emails, contacts, organizer, pictures, or videos unless he knows your password.
    03-13-12 01:37 PM
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the device key? I set up the encryption, but I've never seen the device key.

JB
    03-13-12 01:47 PM
  9. T
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the device key? I set up the encryption, but I've never seen the device key.

JB
    In the media card portion of encryption settings there are three modes to choose from: "Device Password," "Device Key," and "Device Password & Device Key." The mode that can be exploited to extrapolate your BlackBerry's password (using information stored on the media card) is "Device Password." Either of the other two modes employ a device key, and your BlackBerry won't be vulnerable to a media card exploit. Just remember if you use one of the device key modes your encrypted media card files won't be readable in any other BlackBerry. If you use "Device Password," your BlackBerry will be vulnerable to a media card exploit, but your media card can be transfered to a different BlackBerry, and you can view its encrypted files if you know the password.
    Last edited by Tnis; 03-13-12 at 02:17 PM.
    03-13-12 01:57 PM
    Let's not take things too far. Text messages cannot be accessed without a warrant (before or after C-11), and if a warrant is issued, they could get at your BBM text, too. Let's not sensationalize.

JB
    That's not true, because sms messages are stored on the carrier servers for years, regardless of the handsets state. BBM messages are only stored locally, so as long as they are deleted locally there is nothing to recover.
    03-13-12 02:18 PM
    That's not true, because sms messages are stored on the carrier servers for years, regardless of the handsets state. BBM messages are only stored locally, so as long as they are deleted locally there is nothing to recover.
    Question: if you add an SMS contact to BBM and send SMS via the BBM app, are your messages subjected to the same encryption as those you would expect from messaging someone via PIN? I understand that the back-end might not be encrypted (eg their iphone or any cell for that matter) but would there be any advantage to adding my contacts I text with to BBM other than just having everyone in once place as opposed to flipping between BBM and SMS to talk to my buddies? Or is SMS subjected to the same encryption regardless of how it's accessed? Sending SMS about personal things kind of creeps me out really...regardless of the "content" I don't think many people are down with having their messages potentially read.
    06-04-12 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD