06-22-12 10:56 PM
32 12
tools
    BIS as a transport may be secure.

What I do not trust is another organization having access to my data. When you use BIS for email, RIM downloads your mail to their servers and pushes it to your phone afterward.

Do you trust the admins of BIS?

Not sure about Canadian laws, but if RIM were required to spy on you by an order, they would not need your cleartext password. They could give a government agency access to the entry point of data and allow them to sniff the wire.

I use logicmail for my personal email account for this reason. My device is the SSL client. Never trust the network.
    06-22-12 01:34 AM
    RIM is better than most but NOTHING is absolutely secure. Keep all info in an encrypted vault program and password your device in case you loose it. This will thwart the average bad person but for someone who really knows what they are doing and has the resources . . . .
    06-22-12 07:05 AM
    someone else was mentioning the app scam and they are totally correct. which is why i have few apps installed and always deny permissions. how dare they try and take from my bb.
    No matter how annoying it is, if you deny permissions on almost any app, it won't work... simple as.

Sent from my  Bold
    06-22-12 07:16 AM
    RIM is better than most but NOTHING is absolutely secure. Keep all info in an encrypted vault program and password your device in case you loose it. This will thwart the average bad person but for someone who really knows what they are doing and has the resources . . . .
    Most? Name one mobile OS that is more secure than BB OS7.

You're right that nothing is absolutely secure, but the same could be said about your WiFi network, the websites you log into, etc. There's a reasonable expectation that your personal information will be secure when using a mobile phone, and given the prolific nature of Apple and Android phones out there that are less secure OS' than RIM's, I think it's a reasonable conclusion to draw that BB users are receiving the most secure mobile experience on the market right now.

Think of using a BB like being connected to a WiFi network secured with WPA2 security. Now think of that wireless network when it's in an apartment building. There's a sea of other WPA2 users, WPA users, WEP users and open networks kicking about. You can generally rest assured that the average hacker will likely go for the encryption that is easier to break, especially with mobile phones as a lot of people don't know how to secure their data and just assume everything is 100% secure. If you are using a BB and take the appropriate steps (lock your phone, be aware of what permissions you are giving to apps, etc) then you should feel comfortable you are receiving the most secure mobile experience you can get.

There's loads of things that you need to do to maintain that level of security, but on the whole, the average BB user is receiving a more secure experience than the average Android or Apple user. Enable password protection, encrypt your data and be wary of third party applications (check what permissions they require). BBM does not get logged at RIM's side, so if you update, delete or otherwise remove the logs from your phone and the people you are chatting with do the same, there is no record of that conversation.

Be wary of public WiFi as well - make sure you are only entering personal information (like usernames and passwords) on websites that have "https" in their URL.

JB
    Last edited by LordCrankypants; 06-22-12 at 07:49 AM.
    cruznthru likes this.
    06-22-12 07:26 AM
  5. T
    No matter how annoying it is, if you deny permissions on almost any app, it won't work... simple as.

Sent from my  Bold
    Yes, that's why I now have zero third-party apps. As much as I loved it, I deleted Trillian and all my themes (except for the stock one) yesterday. I'm using native BlackBerry features (BIS -email/BBM) and the RIM IM clients (Windows Live Messenger, GoogleTalk, Yahoo! Messenger, and AIM). I won't help any app scammers help themselves to the content of my phone.
    06-22-12 09:09 AM
    I looked into this recently. There is a lot of misinformation on this thread. This link has the straight scoop:
    FAQ: What Communication Is Encrypted on Your BlackBerry - BerryReview
    melander likes this.
    06-22-12 04:32 PM
    I looked into this recently. There is a lot of misinformation on this thread. This link has the straight scoop:
    FAQ: What Communication Is Encrypted on Your BlackBerry - BerryReview
    Thanks mzman for that link. It includes the following from RIMs knowledgebase:
    "Email messages sent between the BlackBerry Internet Service and the BlackBerry Internet Service subscriber's BlackBerry smartphone are not encrypted. When transmitted over the wireless network, the email messages are subject to the existing or available network security model(s)."

KB03652-Comparing BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server features
    06-22-12 10:56 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD