10-18-09 11:12 AM
31 12
tools
    Well the title pretty much says it all... after all the minor 4.6 upgrades, I never really found a noticeable improvement (except the first "leap" from the factory-installed OS to a newer OS). So I was wondering, is the new 5.0 OS really worth the effort, or is it all about little gimicks that you never really use anyway, like all those 4.6 upgrades were? What is CRUCIAL for me is better battery life, less bugs, and eventually faster operation (although I'd gladly sacrifice some of the speed for more reliability and battery power).

So then, what do you guys think?
    10-11-09 06:55 AM
    I am on 5.0.0.238.
    Internet is faster, but it wont change batt life unless you force it to 2G.
    Device is also faster, reboots in half the time for me.
    I love it and wouldn't go back.
    10-11-09 07:13 AM
    I also have the 5.0.0.238 and I love it soooo much faster. I'm a tmobile user and there is a big difference in internet speed, so much better and as yzf said reboots much faster n the screen has the nice berry symbol n status bar. I like that over the dreaded clock. So far no problems..make the jump

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 07:31 AM
    how stable has OS 5.0? Looking at BBM which has been in beta for a while the official version is very buggy so I'm very reluctant on installing a leaked OS although I'm tempted. I'm new to the BB scene but I'm really disappointed after the BBM upgrade I was actually considering upgrading to 5.0 but since have rethought that.
    10-11-09 08:08 AM
    Well so far 5.0 hasn't given me any problems, all my apps work, my gps works, and the offical bbm works fine. I just did a remote backup of my contacts n redownloaded the app n everything was fine. Yea the bbm upgrade did have its ups/downs but overall I'm ok with it..hey if u don't like the 5.0 os u can always go back, its not permanent

10-11-09 08:12 AM
    Whats the latest/most stable version? and where can I get it from?
    10-11-09 08:18 AM
    i took the plunge and installed 5.0 not had any problems with it.

my only complaint is when creating a new sms, i'd prefer the old way but still like threaded sms. when creating a new mms/email it's still the old way.
    10-11-09 08:18 AM
    I am on OS 5.238 and the official BBM5 and so fare I am loving it. My first install went ok but I got a strange exception everytime I did a battery pull, people have said that it was because of the gmail plugin or an app that was trying to change a profile which this OS is different somehow. So I downgraded, which bricked my phone, so I followed the how to fix a nuked blackberry and got the OS5.238 installed and no more exception error.

I love being able to add SMS contacts to BBM (which you can only with with OS5) and all pics in memory and on mem card load almost instantly. Berrybuz would not install at first, then upon a random battery pull it magically appeared and is working great. I have not installed many apps yet, gonna take it slow with that at first.

My only advise is to be careful actually installing the OS and don't get discouraged if something goes wront, there is a forum post for that....
    10-11-09 09:45 AM
    I am on OS 5.238 and the official BBM5 and so fare I am loving it. My first install went ok but I got a strange exception everytime I did a battery pull, people have said that it was because of the gmail plugin or an app that was trying to change a profile which this OS is different somehow. So I downgraded, which bricked my phone, so I followed the how to fix a nuked blackberry and got the OS5.238 installed and no more exception error.

I love being able to add SMS contacts to BBM (which you can only with with OS5) and all pics in memory and on mem card load almost instantly. Berrybuz would not install at first, then upon a random battery pull it magically appeared and is working great. I have not installed many apps yet, gonna take it slow with that at first.

My only advise is to be careful actually installing the OS and don't get discouraged if something goes wront, there is a forum post for that....
    any idea where we can get the OS from? and is it as simple as installing a normal OS?
    10-11-09 09:48 AM
    can anyone provide the link for the os 5.0 pls? thanks
    10-11-09 10:10 AM
    I used it for 2 days. Upgraded from 4.6. I could not get the browser fix to work (and I am pretty good at following instructions (bbsak and jlcmdr)). Phone started to freeze on day 2. I noticed this when removing it from my holster. Installed and uninstalled OS 3 times (complete wipes each time) same issues, now I am back to 4.6. I will wait for an official release.
    10-11-09 11:03 AM
    LINK to OS 5.0 anyone?
    10-12-09 12:10 PM
    how long before the official 5.0 OS? 3 months?
    10-12-09 04:34 PM
    10-12-09 08:53 PM
    Loaded 5.0.0.238 last night, and absolutely love it. Threaded SMS, much much faster in all aspects, browser, pic loading, boot up. Nothing bad to report... everything except VIIGO runs perfect for me. My VIIGO doesnt load though. Hit the icon, and it just freezes for about 20 secs.. no biggie, just deleted the app, not needed anyways. I love the "little" new features... Media player volume bar, new media layout... Overall, favourite build I've tried (and to be honest, I've tried them ALL). WAY worth it in my eyes.
    10-13-09 09:05 AM
    for all those on .238, how did you get your browser to work and media?

I did that browser fix and all media and VM was broken.
    10-13-09 11:06 AM
    ok thanks for the replies... I guess there's no better way than to give it a try and see for myself
    10-16-09 03:19 AM
    Is it English only or also MultiLanguage?
    I don't mind using an english OS but english VoiceDialing doesn't work with dutch names
    10-16-09 06:56 AM
    for all those on .238, how did you get your browser to work and media?

I did that browser fix and all media and VM was broken.
    Nvr had that problem, as soon as I loaded up everything worked fine

10-16-09 06:57 AM
    Your either a person who upgrades every week with every new version, or you wait for an official.

I'm waiting for an official, my phone works fine as is.
    10-16-09 07:30 AM
    I'm on os5. Its great. Fast and stable. The only thing is that beejive doesn't support os5 yet so I can't use it. Viigo works fine. Make sure u get the newest version. And for media being broken, make sure u uninstall uber twitter and soft reset.

10-16-09 10:17 AM
    I'm on os5. Its great. Fast and stable. The only thing is that beejive doesn't support os5 yet so I can't use it. Viigo works fine. Make sure u get the newest version. And for media being broken, make sure u uninstall uber twitter and soft reset.

If Viigo really does work on OS5, then I'll totally upgrade to the Beta... I use Viigo like 20 times a day and that's been the only thing holding me back from taking the leap...

Are you sure it works? Cause this is the first time I've heard it.
    10-16-09 11:13 AM
    My BB Browser and Media Net Browser worked out of the box after my OS5.238 install, I did not have to do the browswer fix.

Only thing wrong for me is that the BB Maps icon is missing.
    10-16-09 12:03 PM
    Just upgraded and haven't had a chance to play around too much but so far it's awesome. Soooooooo much faster in every aspect than the official version from AT&T.
    10-16-09 12:20 PM
    im in the same boat.. I hate doing leaked os upgrades cause i read all the threads posted on here bout problems, help and etc... i have a **** load of apps.. i wanna make sure they all work with 5.0 leak before i eveb bother to download..
    10-16-09 01:52 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD