Hi,

I see all the notification settings have a mode for when it's in a holster - my question is how on earth does it know if it's in a holster?

Also, because I'm never going to use a holster (my personal opinion is that phones attached to belts look saaa-aaa-aaad!), is there much point me setting these up in the hope that they will work if it's in my pocket instead (which is where it will live most of the time).

Cheers!
    09-22-07 12:03 PM
    This is one of the BB features. BB cases have a magnet sewn or built in and one on the BB hence the ability to know where it is..
    09-22-07 01:26 PM
    I see! Clever!

Still not going to make me use one though. They look silly!
    09-22-07 01:52 PM
    I clip my holster to the inside of my pocket. I don't want to look like one of "THOSE" people...
    09-29-07 07:17 PM
    I would love to clip my new Blackberry to my hip with the snazzy red lambs leather case I bought when I bought my curve, but when I thought about it I realised what a temptation it would be to muggers of phones! I live in the country in Scotland but on a day-trip to Glasgow how long do you think I would keep hold of my Blackberry if I had it on display on my pocket or belt?

Sad, but I will be using the black case that came with it to keep it in my bag where it will be safe. I'll probably sell the red leather case on Ebay lol

Keeping it hidden in your pocket or your bag is safer if you ask me!

Ember
    09-29-07 07:24 PM
    Hey Ember -

put it for sale on CrackBerry - lots of nice people. And you have a captive audience!
    I have sold on this site before and it worked out great.
    Plus, I would like to see your snazzy red case!!
    09-29-07 08:06 PM
    Hey Ember -

put it for sale on CrackBerry - lots of nice people. And you have a captive audience!
    I have sold on this site before and it worked out great.
    Plus, I would like to see your snazzy red case!!
    Hi

Well, if anybody wants to buy it, I am more than happy to sell it on......

I'll post a few pics shortly x
    09-30-07 11:09 AM
    I live in the country in Scotland but on a day-trip to Glasgow how long do you think I would keep hold of my Blackberry if I had it on display on my pocket or belt?
    Good one love,

why not broadcast to the WHOLE world that Glasgow is an crime ridden and un-safe place to live? when it certainly isn't

Think if you went to Kelso or Roxburgh then it wouldn't be the phone i was worried about

look, you made me stoop to your level.

shame on you, shame on me.... bah
    10-27-07 06:20 AM
    I got mine in the pouch.
    The sleeper magnet does it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-07 09:10 AM
    I got mine in the pouch.
    The sleeper magnet does it.

The sleeper magnet also works with "regular" phone cases--I've got one that I used for a former cell phone, and it fits my BB, and when I put it in there, it goes right to sleep like a nice little BB.....and my case cost less than ten bucks at claires.
    10-27-07 10:26 AM
    I clip my holster to the inside of my pocket. I don't want to look like one of "THOSE" people...
    I do the same thing! You see "Those" guys with 4 phones on their hip walking around downtown. I think it is so funny.
    10-31-07 01:54 PM
    Hi,

I see all the notification settings have a mode for when it's in a holster - my question is how on earth does it know if it's in a holster?

Also, because I'm never going to use a holster (my personal opinion is that phones attached to belts look saaa-aaa-aaad!), is there much point me setting these up in the hope that they will work if it's in my pocket instead (which is where it will live most of the time).

Cheers!
    No the bb says "holster" not "inside your pocket" opinion. So maybe you'll have to look saaaa-aaa-aaad, as you say. I mean why would someone want to look professional. I love my bb wouldn't want to risk putting it in my pocket to make an emergency call accidentally or sit on it or even have to dig in my pant pocket to find it. I love my holster wouldn't trade it for the world, although I sometimes put it in my shirt or suit pocket on my dress coat. Other than that you can find her on my hip.
    10-31-07 03:41 PM
    oooooooooooooohhhhhh i know this post is old but i always wondered how it knew it was in da holster.... hence da name smartphone
    06-09-08 01:52 AM
    yes it is old and the OP hasn't made a post scenes 9/30/07 i wonder why she stopped posting and what happen to her.
    06-15-08 03:46 PM
    Putting my Curve on my pocket is why I have a Bold now - dropped the Curve a dozen too many times. As for the Bold and holster mode, does it have to go a certain way into the holster? The reason I ask is because it seems to play the same out of holster tones every time, whether I have it holstered or not.
    09-14-09 05:49 PM
    If you have a holster with a sleeper magnet, depending on the device, and possibily an extended battery, the sleeper magnet has to gain contact inside to work. Position is everything.

The Keeper of Useless Knowledge

09-14-09 07:56 PM
    I have the holster that came with the Bold, the one that closes by magnet. What part of the Bold detects the magnet?
    09-15-09 06:13 PM
    The sleeper magnet is inside near the bottom, I'd it has one. You'll know because the device will go black when it's in there, and striking a key will do nothing. Some come with, some without.

The Keeper of Useless Knowledge

09-15-09 07:01 PM
    i just have the typical lint-free, pleather, plactic, sleeve that came with the curve, and the fact that it locks when i put it in the sleeve, and the sleeve in my pocket is great. that way it stays locked, and no lint gets in the trackball.
    01-14-10 09:17 AM
    I asked this question too. Simple Technology these days. Yeah I didn't like the clip on the leather case too so I broek it off completely which looks way better now. Yes I broke the "Official Blackberry Case" but it was for the good of annoyance. It look 10x better without the clip. I'm guessing there is probably a magnetic mechanism in it and by breaking the clip the mechanism isn't in it.
    1ST Comment & New Member ;]
    01-19-10 10:03 PM
    How it is possible the BB holster stop works after 3 months of normal working.
    10-26-11 02:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD