Has anyone else noticed that ur actual barcode changes every couple of minutes?
    10-16-09 09:40 PM
    The easiest would be the pin is padded with random number or with timestamp when the barcode was generated. Or perhaps the timestamp to indicate when the barcode is expired.
    10-16-09 10:12 PM
    Has anyone else noticed that ur actual barcode changes every couple of minutes?

So your saying if I scan my barcode from my avatar it will not work? It has been there for a few days now so based off what you say it will not link me to me?

Why would they do that, and the last time I checked it scans and links to me fine...

???
    10-17-09 10:16 PM
    are you sure they change? ive never noticed that
    10-17-09 11:29 PM
    They can't change because I remember seeing an option to save it so if it changed it would have to rewrite the save every few minuites maybe its just your eyes as their are a lot of little dots and stuff

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 01:10 AM
    i cant find a link to this barcade scanning app made for bbm5. only thing i got is barcode app for online price comparsion.

can someone pls post the link to the app..or you can pm me..tia
    10-18-09 01:25 PM
    Bluelaser, I tried to PM you but because my post count is under 10, I cannot so I will post the instructions here.

Open BBM 5. Hit the BB menu > Scan a Group Barcode. Scroll down and hit "Continue." Hold the phone up to a BBM generated barcode so that you can see the whole barcode on the screen. The camera should auto focus and beep when it's got the data from the barcode. It will automatically send a request to the PIN that the barcode represents.
    10-22-09 05:04 PM
    Bluelaser, I tried to PM you but because my post count is under 10, I cannot so I will post the instructions here.

Open BBM 5. Hit the BB menu > Scan a Group Barcode. Scroll down and hit "Continue." Hold the phone up to a BBM generated barcode so that you can see the whole barcode on the screen. The camera should auto focus and beep when it's got the data from the barcode. It will automatically send a request to the PIN that the barcode represents.
    lol, thanks, i meant about the inner works of how it works, thanks tho
    10-22-09 05:31 PM
    are you sure they change? ive never noticed that
    Yeah they change every couple of minutes, BUT they still work after they change.. that's y i'm asking, if anyone knows the technology behind it?
    10-22-09 05:33 PM
    Yes, they change. I have just noticed that recently. It seems to randomly generate a new barcode with each viewing. Though why the varying barcodes continue to function after a new regeneration, I don't know either. Similar to the QR-Barcode generator which can also be used from BBM found at QR-Code Generator
    01-11-10 01:15 PM

Just did it on your barcode mate and it did went smoothly.
    03-01-10 06:01 PM
    OK guys, I still don't get it. Why do I use this?
    I've read through the thread but I am lost.

For example, if I scan someone's avatar (as indicated above) does that automatically send me that persons contact info?

Where else and what else would I use it for. (not a facbook person)

TIA
    06-21-10 09:52 PM
    It's just a QR barcode. They probably include the date, time and some other info about when the barcode was generated. QR codes can contain a LOT of information (around 4,000 alphanumeric characters if memory serves me correctly). They also include error-correction information as well.

Your BBM barcode changes because it's generated by BBM each time you access it, and while the PIN will be read the same no matter which iteration you use, OTHER information in the barcode will be different, such as the date and time (if that's encoded in there. I'm not sure on that), and because of the huge volume of information contained and different ways of displaying it within the barcode, two different looking barcodes can mean the same thing.
    06-28-10 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD