Does anyone know how I can prevent this BlackBerry messenger update message from appearing every 5 minutes? There is no dismiss button and I don't want to update the software - I much prefer the basic, no-nonsense, clean interface of the old version.

The message I get it attached to this post.

Can anyone help me, please?
    Last edited by Burratha; 11-24-09 at 06:11 AM.
    11-24-09 06:05 AM
    Can anyone please help before I pull out the remaining few strands of hair that I have left? I'd rather not install BBM5
    11-24-09 02:16 PM
    i think you should yank those last few strands out and go for the new BBM5. its really not all that bad. i dont think there is anyway to stop it, since the program connects to the network and it sees the newer version available.
    11-25-09 04:16 AM
    i think you should yank those last few strands out and go for the new BBM5. its really not all that bad. i dont think there is anyway to stop it, since the program connects to the network and it sees the newer version available.
    +1, I agree!
    11-25-09 04:22 AM
    Get the new one. You'll learn to love it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-09 08:52 PM
    I tried the new one, 5.0.0.33 and it's trash on 4.6

After awhile your typing becomes slow and choppy and then you cant see your typing anymore. This should never have been released to 4.6 devices.
    12-13-09 05:17 PM
    Solutionull those strands/upgrade/pull some more.................lol
    12-13-09 05:19 PM
    I wonder how stupid RIM is sometimes. I tried the very latest 5.0 messenger, and it still has the slowing down typing and then can't see your typing anymore.

Works fine on a 5.0 OS.

But I have to use 4.6 because I have a Bold, and 5.0 OS is still too buggy (I tested). So I'm going to stay with the 4.6 messenger but I have to continually be bombarded by asstastic messages asking me to upgrade to a version that will be buggier and worse than what I have now.

You'd think there'd be a box saying "check this to not see this message again".

Edit: Here's how to GET RID OF IT!!!!!!!

Note, this will only work until you reboot. You will have to repeat this procedure every single time you reboot or resend your service books. Note, if you travel out of a service area and then back in, it may resend your service books in which case you may need to do it again. RIM Excellence!

Go into your options, advanced, service books.. go to BlackBerry Messenger VPL (identified as a BrowserConfig item) and delete that *****. Watch the upgrade icon disappear and the annoying popup message with it.

Edit 2: False alarm. While it gets rid of the upgrade icon, it still annoys me with the "upgrade bbm" message. Argh.
    Last edited by Technarch; 01-03-10 at 12:30 PM.
    01-03-10 12:00 PM
    I've been looking for ways to stop this and I may have hit something, but I'm running 5.0.0.296, may work for me but not for all. I myself, love the older BBM. 4.7 to be exact and can't part with it. Love the full screen previews and love that it doesn't ask me annoying questions.

Anyway, give it a shot and see if this works for you.

At first I began to think it was part of of the core OS, but now im thinking it's being pushed to the Blackberry.

1. Turn all connections off.
    2. Battery Pull.
    3. Reboot.
    4. Open BBM.
    5. Turn on mobile connections.
    6. open BBM once more and see if you get a popup.

It's worked for me so far and you'll have to do this with every battery pull. Better than getting the popup, right? Let me know if this works for any of you.
    02-02-10 07:19 PM
    Can anyone please help before I pull out the remaining few strands of hair that I have left? I'd rather not install BBM5
    Hey Guys, I like using 4.7 as well. Its just simpler to me. it just occured to me how I had a long period with no prompts: This is the solution.
    When upgrade prompt comes up, hit "copy url" (rather than cancel). This seems to stop it for a long time, usually until i reboot phone.So for me, it solves the problem like 90-95% Please let me know if this works for you all??
    02-04-10 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD