07-04-11 12:49 PM
    Its great to see some of the facts emerge from the smear.
    07-04-11 01:26 PM
    So, if it is not a "DIE RIM DIE!!" thread, nobody gives a damn about it?

Wow...
    07-04-11 04:19 PM
    Not much to comment on,

the English was poor, lots of great points. but nothing controversial worth discussing.
    07-04-11 04:22 PM
    Its great to see some of the facts emerge from the smear.
    The haters aren't going to let facts get in the way of a good feeding frenzy
    Jake2826 likes this.
    07-05-11 12:04 AM
    The haters aren't going to let facts get in the way of a good feeding frenzy
    They'll only provide us with some amusement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-11 05:03 AM
    It finally made its way to the blogs (thanks to B1aze!). Myself, I think RIM needs a bit of encouragement at this moment and they really could use some positive media right now.

No, I'm not saying stuff like that open letter is innacurate, but it is hard enough for them as it is.

And we're supposed to be their fan base, isn't it so
    07-05-11 05:04 PM
    It finally made its way to the blogs (thanks to B1aze!). Myself, I think RIM needs a bit of encouragement at this moment and they really could use some positive media right now.

No, I'm not saying stuff like that open letter is innacurate, but it is hard enough for them as it is.

And we're supposed to be their fan base, isn't it so

It would have been nice to see Crackberry Kevin comment on this. Guess he's too busy doing other things these days
    07-05-11 08:03 PM
    Not much to comment on,

the English was poor, lots of great points. but nothing controversial worth discussing.

I read somewhere that English isn't his first language. Which now-a-days people that have English as a second language can't write and use it better then people with English as their first language

07-05-11 11:30 PM
    I read somewhere that English isn't his first language. Which now-a-days people that have English as a second language can't write and use it better then people with English as their first language

German would be his first language

the OP wanted discussion about the article
    I would not have commented had the OP not called it out, those were the points I noted when reading the article
    07-06-11 12:01 AM
    German would be his first language

the OP wanted discussion about the article
    I would not have commented had the OP not called it out, those were the points I noted when reading the article
    "The OP" wanted some old fashioned Berry love examples, just like the "poorly-written post" from Mr Ekkes. It's called support. But you know that from our earlier PMs. And you did show support on other threads.

RIM could use knowing there is still some out there.
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-06-11 at 01:07 AM.
    07-06-11 01:04 AM
    I thought his English was pretty good. Better than mine!

I'm sure his German is far better than mine too!
    07-06-11 02:59 AM
    This was a great read! As a digital media designer, this really encouraged me to try my hand at developing for the BlackBerry ecosystem. Thank You.
    07-06-11 08:47 AM
    This was a great read! As a digital media designer, this really encouraged me to try my hand at developing for the BlackBerry ecosystem. Thank You.
    Wow! Awesome news! Can you "leak" any details on the project you're going to start?
    07-06-11 10:12 AM
    There is no doubt that for corporate use, a BES connected BB is a highly functional solution that is worth the cost for many businesses. It's in the consumer space that RIM has the real problem. BIS is in many ways a disadvantage for non business users.
    07-06-11 10:13 AM
    @diegonei: No solid details right now. I would like it to coincide with a project my business partner and I are working on regarding a magazine style site/corresponding app, with video posts, traditional posts, and photography. I cant really be too "specific". Thanks for inquiring though! I always was curious to the power BB Devs were working with and this article and the videos included, were pretty inspiring to say the least!
    diegonei likes this.
    07-06-11 11:02 AM
    I felt that it shed a lot of light on the situation. Particularly, since we rarely get the Developer side. Normally, we get a bunch of people that just say it's hard to do.

I applaud his blog post. It was good if some just take it as an opposing view. Lately, we've been barraged with the Negative. And nothing but the Negative.

I'm sure that it will not make investors confident again, nor will it calm the naysayers Words, but it was well written, and more importantly, well defended. My favorite part, was the author commenting on the CrackBerry Post of his work.

I tip my hat to you Sir!

07-06-11 12:35 PM
    Good read. However he basically says you should start developing for OS6 and higher, but RIM didn't do a great job of getting OS6 out there in the US, and we are still waiting for OS7 devices. OS6 flagship device, Torch, only sold by one carrier in US.
    house78 likes this.
    07-06-11 01:59 PM
    Good read. However he basically says you should start developing for OS6 and higher, but RIM didn't do a great job of getting OS6 out there in the US, and we are still waiting for OS7 devices. OS6 flagship device, Torch, only sold by one carrier in US.
    If I were to build an App, I swear I'd try to get as many devices covered as possible. You see, RIM in big with business and some of them didn't get to upgrade all their berry-force, so there are plenty 4.5/4.6 devices out there... Of course, the development of the app would tell if older models would really be supported or not (no good supporting 8310s if my app makes them slow to a crawl).

And... He might not have seen Ekke's post or this thread, but he did get the spirit!

Kevin's editorial: The Way I See It CrackBerry Nation, We've Only Just Begun...
    07-06-11 11:46 PM
    Honest question here... how many corporate BBs can actually download 3rd party apps? I rarely see it, particularly with major corporations, here in NYC.
    Well if you look at apps like ToDo Matrix, Project Reader and some others, then you'll see companies downloading them (bulk buying in fact). And I failed to mention, if I could develop, I'd have apps for that laaarrrge business userbase out there as well as good only media-hungry average Joes.

Did you guys see Zach Epstein's post on the Playbook? Hmm... Makes you wonder wonder...Why the sudden change of tone?

The BlackBerry PlayBook is my favorite tablet
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-07-11 at 11:07 AM.
    07-07-11 11:04 AM
    Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to this at first -- based on he title I thought it was a joke thread. Not quite.

Very interesting perspective. The three points he identifies that RIM needs to loudly publicize -- if they are factual -- particularly caught my interest (about half way through. under the heading 'Why developing for OS6/OS7 if this is old technology'):
    (paraphrased)
    - OS7 apps will run on QNX
    - Java SDK and tools will be available to port these apps
    - The new OS7 phones will run QNX(??!!!!)

If this is indeed RIM's intent, why are they not broadcasting it to the world? While this news -- again, if substantive -- doesn't necessarily bode well for OS4/5, it sure is a positive sign for OS7 and beyond.

07-07-11 11:29 AM
    Those business specific apps are approved and installed by the IT departments, correct? I'd think that you are correct that BB corporate clients are a huge market for targeted apps.
    To be honest, I don't know. I guess they could push an OTA update to their userbase... After making sure the IT policies are properly set...

And now, whit the rise of the "professional grade tablet" I think developers should consider that share of BlackBerry users. Eventually, RIM will set the bridge-APIs free... See the potential?

----

My bad! I couldn't avoid the rhyme!

Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to this at first -- based on he title I thought it was a joke thread. Not quite.

Very interesting perspective. The three points he identifies that RIM needs to loudly publicize -- if they are factual -- particularly caught my interest (about half way through. under the heading 'Why developing for OS6/OS7 if this is old technology'):
    (paraphrased)
    - OS7 apps will run on QNX
    - Java SDK and tools will be available to port these apps
    - The new OS7 phones will run QNX(??!!!!)

If this is indeed RIM's intent, why are they not broadcasting it to the world? While this news -- again, if substantive -- doesn't necessarily bode well for OS4/5, it sure is a positive sign for OS7 and beyond.
    As somebody said, not sure if in here or blog comments: RIM sucks are marketing. I gotta agree... The announced the Playbook but where was actual marketing when launch week arrived? Almost nowhere.

RIM needs to address that issue as soon as. One good example that they should explore: Those "cops with berries" study cases (available on youtube)! They should be showing many more of those.

They did try a "small business" version of them, but really... It is not small business they need to attract right now... And that BBM flirt add was a joke (unlike this thread).

OS7 phones being upgraded to QNX... I would love it to be... But I will only believe when I see it. :/ 8520/9780 issues here.
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-07-11 at 12:50 PM.
    07-07-11 12:47 PM
    Honest question here... how many corporate BBs can actually download 3rd party apps? I rarely see it, particularly with major corporations, here in NYC.
    Major corps love to lock down BBs. Sometimes you can download apps but not actually run them.
    07-07-11 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD