03-11-11 06:44 PM
93 ... 234
tools
    Does anyone have insight as to how QNX softeware systems will impact the bb experience back end, and any plans of QNX solutions being deployed to BIS/NOC +BES?

IMHO...we are all aware we are in for a treat on the front end....but I feel QNX with trually shine on the back end...like I mentioned they have a wealth of expertise and knowledge working with Cisco on their high cpacity internet routers...since they literally without exaggeration poer the web...what do you feel they will bring to RIM's back end services?

I personally envision mega apps running through distributed multi processing...pushed to our devices....as well as real time pure content ...being pushed to us in ultra- compressed packets...now that is cool!

AM I the only one interested in the possibilities QNX brings to the back end experience?lol

Dan Dodge also has some cool interviews(videos) at qnx.com talking about the cloud

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-11 09:33 PM
    I would wager to say that those of you that have never had any data deleted from your phone by the OS itself, have probably not been BB users for a long time. Travel back in time to just a couple of years ago to the days of 4.2.x or early 4.5.x and you would have seen emails and old calendar entries deleted because the phone would run low (as in at 0) on memory and the OS needed to delete something to gain opperating room. It was a nightmare for a lot of people who didn't know what was going on. Do a search in the older 8k model forums and you'll find plenty of posts about it. Once the BB hardware moved to 128MB or higher and high 4.5 OS versions, this was done away with... mostly because RIM took that coding out of the later 4.5OS versions.
    Maybe so (although I never experienced it, even on my old Curve on BES with pretty heavy company email and calendar activity); but Rooster99 is saying that it happens on his Torch, and by the sounds of his frustration it's more than just once in awhile. Seems to me if it were a common problem, we'd be hearing a whole lot more b!tching about it in the Torch forum, along with frequent battery pulls and all the other ailments he says he's plagued with. They apparently were issues with the Storm, but everything I've seen suggests they're rarities with the Torch.
    03-09-11 10:00 PM
    Good article.

03-09-11 10:21 PM
    I would wager to say that those of you that have never had any data deleted from your phone by the OS itself, have probably not been BB users for a long time. Travel back in time to just a couple of years ago to the days of 4.2.x or early 4.5.x and you would have seen emails and old calendar entries deleted because the phone would run low (as in at 0) on memory and the OS needed to delete something to gain opperating room. It was a nightmare for a lot of people who didn't know what was going on. Do a search in the older 8k model forums and you'll find plenty of posts about it. Once the BB hardware moved to 128MB or higher and high 4.5 OS versions, this was done away with... mostly because RIM took that coding out of the later 4.5OS versions.
    Okay, then I should take this opportunity to complain about iphone 3G today in the iphone thread?
    03-09-11 10:21 PM
    I've had a BES BB since '06. My firt personal BB was the Curve 8310, whenever that came out. I've never had a calendar entry deleted.
    If I would have missed a calendar entry, o would have seen that.
    Maybe cecause I managed my memory.
    03-10-11 03:05 AM
    Well, aside from the fact that some would argue the Bold is RIM's flagship phone (I've been spanked over that faux pas once) ...

Torch = have it, love it, hands-down the best phone I've ever owned.

I don't get spinning clocks.
    I've never had a calendar entry deleted that I didn't delete myself.
    Outside of removing apps or switching themes, in the six months I've owned the phone I've only had to do a battery pull once because it frooched out on me.
    It's quick enough for everything I need to do with it (which is not to say I wouldn't take a quicker one if they made it).
    I've seen one minor bug, and that was fixed with the second OS upgrade.
    This phone has been one of the most reliable I've owned ... easily more reliable than my wife's iPhone.
    It's also been one of the more durable. It's been dropped more than once with no ill affects, which is pretty good for a device with one half that slides apart from the other half. Drop an iPhone on anything harder than a couch cushion and see if it fares as well; I've lost count of the number if iP4 owners I know with shattered screens or backs.

So my phone meets your high standards and then some. No idea why yours doesn't.
    Is it perfect? Nope; but it's best option out there for my meager needs.

You think any Androids are bug-free? iPhones? Any phone? As bad as you say the Storm was, it wasn't pulled off the market three months after its release (Kin), and there are still a lot of users who really like it. Not saying it was God's gift to mobile communications, but it does have its share of satisfied users who would most likely not agree that it should never have been released. Still, the Storm was not one of RIM's better offerings. And it's a sure bet that the biggest reason we'll be waiting so long for a QNX-based handheld is to avoid any possibility of another such less-than-stellar product release.

Tag -- you're it.
    To both you & qbnkelt :

Of the 3 issues I described, every one has been documented as noticeable issues for multiple users. Every ... single ... one.

You can go to blackberry.com support forums or on here and explore a bit, and in every single case you will find significant numbers of users describing these as issues. If it were just me I wouldn't even have mentioned them - I can grasp the concept of a particular unit being a lemon.

So I'm glad you have not had these issues. But a generally released, flagship device should not have significant numbers of users complaining about randomly deleted data, slow/laggy performance or unreliable performance. Especially when all of these issue have been known problems for some time on other devices. And even more especially not when the buyer is charged $600 for it.

And fitty, I didn't compare RIM to anyone else. I don't care if I'm talking about a car, a gas range or a chain saw and I really don't care who the manufacturer is.

Not fixing serious known problems in subsequent product releases is shoddy performance. And my whole comment line has simply been that while QNX may be god's gift, RIM's track record of shoddy performance does not give me any level of confidence they will take advantage of QNX to fix problems. Rather, their track record leads me to believe the opposite.

I am now done with this line of comments.

- R.
    03-10-11 01:08 PM
    Civic, you're wrong. You can still find people complaining about the Calendar entry deletion issue with the Torch and I had it happen to me the last time 2 weeks ago. On a Torch.

I had hoped this problem was gone. It's not.

- R.
    03-10-11 01:10 PM
    I've had a BES BB since '06. My firt personal BB was the Curve 8310, whenever that came out. I've never had a calendar entry deleted.
    If I would have missed a calendar entry, o would have seen that.
    Maybe cecause I managed my memory.
    Memory be damhed. I managed my memory and spent hours om the phone with Telus and RIM support. The problem happened with 20MB free on my Storm, more on my Storm 2 and even more now on my Torch.

I'm not an *****, qbn. I know how to troubleshoot, hot to forums, how to call tech support, and how to manage memory too.

It's a bug. A known bug. And one RIM refuses to acknowledge or address.

- R.
    03-10-11 01:30 PM

03-10-11 03:10 PM
    Memory be damhed. I managed my memory and spent hours om the phone with Telus and RIM support. The problem happened with 20MB free on my Storm, more on my Storm 2 and even more now on my Torch.

I'm not an *****, qbn. I know how to troubleshoot, hot to forums, how to call tech support, and how to manage memory too.

It's a bug. A known bug. And one RIM refuses to acknowledge or address.

- R.

I don't know where you got the impression that called you a name. Because I didn't. I also did not say you were unable to manage your device.

You stated calendar entries disappeared and I stated I'd never experienced that on any device, to include my Torch. My statement was to point out that not all devices have those bugs. A known issue is not a universal issue.

Been around BBs quite a while, never saw that. That was my point. I stand by it.

03-10-11 04:26 PM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=593807

Here is someone with the deleted calendar entries. Maybe someone should tell him that this isn't a real problem.

03-10-11 06:24 PM
    Here's another one:

https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=593132

In this one, even JeffH admits that this is a problem with multiple devices and multiple carriers.

With no known solution by the way.

Last edited by hootyhoo; 03-10-11 at 06:39 PM.
    03-10-11 06:36 PM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=593807

Here is someone with the deleted calendar entries. Maybe someone should tell him that this isn't a real problem.

Nobody said it wasn't a real problem. But the few who have it are in the vast minority, which makes it relatively not a big problem. And the fact that it is not that common makes it that much more difficult to duplicate and track down. So where would you prefer RIM dedicate resources, to updating devices and software that will benefit all their customers, or to chasing their tails on a minor nuisance that may or may not result in a solution that benefits very few?

03-10-11 07:37 PM
    Can't they do both? It seems like that should be an important issue for a company that makes devices for business people.

03-10-11 08:34 PM
    ... But the few who have it are in the vast minority ... or to chasing their tails on a minor nuisance that may or may not result in a solution that benefits very few?

"few who have it ..."
    Can you back that up with facts please? When I was having the problem I spent a ton of time on different forums and there were a LOT of people having the problem. Anyone who carried a lot of Calendar history hit it, it seemed. Maybe you've spent a whole bunch of time researching this issue so you know more about it than I do?

"... minor nuisance ..."
    It randomly deleted 3 years worth of Calendar entries. With no warning. For a sales rep who relied on his Calendar as a limited but mobile CRM system, that's not minor. It was catastrophic.

And don't start telling me to stop keeping so much history - that's my choice, amigo. If there's a limitation for the Berry I should be told in the documentation, the device should warn me when I'm getting close, and I should be given an opportunity to delete or archive the data of my choice. I guess that's another "flagship device" spec of mine. You going to tell me this is another of my specs you wouldn't want? Right ...

I accept that devices have limitations - but no warning??? Come on! And for RIM to never, not once, acknowledge the issue or explain what was causing it so people could develop their own workarounds? Even when the problem was reported tons of times on their very own user forums? And for the problem to recur over multiple years and multiple models???

Sorry, but when I see "few who have it" and "minor nuisance" I read "apologist" and "fanboi". And when I see those terms used with no backup I read "pontificator" as well.

I've had a month from he11 with a software implementation and I can see it's come out in this post. But I don't like getting dismissed - if you've read my post history you'll find I've spent a lot of time learning my Berry and helping others out with theirs when they've had problems. I've also defended Berries when they were getting slammed unfairly.

The bottom line is RIM has a very poor product and service history, and the only reason I can see for their rep as "the" business device is because until recently there weren't any others. Not tough to be #1 in a crowd of 1 now is it?

To go back to my initial point, QNX isn't going to save them unless they want it to and are prepared to man up and make it happen. And their track record isn't one of "manning up".

- R.
    03-10-11 11:53 PM
    Can we move past Rooster is angry about his calendar issues but keeps buying blackberries and get back to the original topic? No offense Rooster but it isn't getting fixed here and if it is what you say it is, I would suggest another platform.

03-11-11 12:21 AM
    Yes please! Sorry, my apologies to the original poster. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

- Rob.
    03-11-11 01:40 AM
    "few who have it ..."
    Can you back that up with facts please? When I was having the problem I spent a ton of time on different forums and there were a LOT of people having the problem. Anyone who carried a lot of Calendar history hit it, it seemed. Maybe you've spent a whole bunch of time researching this issue so you know more about it than I do?

"... minor nuisance ..."
    It randomly deleted 3 years worth of Calendar entries. With no warning. For a sales rep who relied on his Calendar as a limited but mobile CRM system, that's not minor. It was catastrophic.

And don't start telling me to stop keeping so much history - that's my choice, amigo. If there's a limitation for the Berry I should be told in the documentation, the device should warn me when I'm getting close, and I should be given an opportunity to delete or archive the data of my choice. I guess that's another "flagship device" spec of mine. You going to tell me this is another of my specs you wouldn't want? Right ...

I accept that devices have limitations - but no warning??? Come on! And for RIM to never, not once, acknowledge the issue or explain what was causing it so people could develop their own workarounds? Even when the problem was reported tons of times on their very own user forums? And for the problem to recur over multiple years and multiple models???

Sorry, but when I see "few who have it" and "minor nuisance" I read "apologist" and "fanboi". And when I see those terms used with no backup I read "pontificator" as well.

I've had a month from he11 with a software implementation and I can see it's come out in this post. But I don't like getting dismissed - if you've read my post history you'll find I've spent a lot of time learning my Berry and helping others out with theirs when they've had problems. I've also defended Berries when they were getting slammed unfairly.

The bottom line is RIM has a very poor product and service history, and the only reason I can see for their rep as "the" business device is because until recently there weren't any others. Not tough to be #1 in a crowd of 1 now is it?

To go back to my initial point, QNX isn't going to save them unless they want it to and are prepared to man up and make it happen. And their track record isn't one of "manning up".

- R.
    I'll try not to belabor the point any longer, too ...

My apologies for trivializing what obviously was more than a minor inconvenience to you. However, on that front, if all that history was that important to you and your line of work, I don't think I'd trust the only copy of it to a cell phone, no matter what brand it is. I'd be sure to have that backed up regularly and accessible on something more robust and permanent than my phone. But that's me, and it's water under the bridge now. I once lost two years of everything on my computer, so I'm really in no position to talk there, other than having an equally bad experience to share.

That being said, I do understand how you would consider this a serious flaw. I confess I have done no research on this specific matter; I'm only going by what I see here on these forums, and I've seen relatively few complaints of lost calendar entries (or device freezes or spinning clocks). To the people that have had calendar entries deleted, I can see how it could be a big deal. But 'a LOT of people having the problem' compared to the millions of BB devices out there is still relatively few in the big picture, and from a 30,000-ft view you maybe can see how it might not bubble to the top of RIM's priority list. Maybe it should, I can't say. But it seems like the increasing RAM and internal storage in newer models should remedy that, no? I mean, if you are still encountering that problem on your Torch, then clearly you have a reason to be pee-oh'd about it.

So it sounds like you push your phone to its limits, and in some cases it's not up to the task. I can appreciate your frustration and why your expectations for future devices would be so low. I'm neither an apologist nor a 'fanboi' (and I really hate that term), although I have been known to pontificate now and again. I've used several other phones before I landed on BB's, and my experiences with BB's have shown them to be the best devices for me and what I do with phones. Most of the experiences of others here seem to be the same, which is why I am so optimistic. I hope for both our sakes I'm right.
    03-11-11 06:44 PM
93 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD