03-11-11 06:44 PM
93 1234
tools
    I'm going to go get new tires. I'm going to get Michelin because that's what they use on the space shuttle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-11 08:35 AM
    In. Qnx they do moving forward

Ummmm...sure. Whatever you say.

03-09-11 09:15 AM
    I'm going to go get new tires. I'm going to get Michelin because that's what they use on the space shuttle.

It's only common knowledge...that whatever tech that comes from aerospace ,indusrty and the millitary....and is introduced to the consumer level...revolutionizes our day to day life to a large degree...instead of casting doubt and speculation...do some research on qnx...

03-09-11 09:18 AM
    Ummmm...sure. Whatever you say.

Is the arrogance necessary?

03-09-11 09:20 AM
    It's only common knowledge...that whatever tech that comes from aerospace ,indusrty and the millitary....and is introduced to the consumer level...revolutionizes our day to day life to a large degree...instead of casting doubt and speculation...do some research on qnx...

I agree to a point. But to keep comparing an as yet realized product to space shuttle tech and medical devices seems to be a stretch. They all do very different things and it seems that so far rim is having some difficulty making it work on the Playbook. It is likely that they will face a similar challenge when they build a phone using qnx. No one really knows yet how well it work. I think that it will eventually be fine, but to have so many grandiose expectations seems a bit premature.

Last edited by hootyhoo; 03-09-11 at 09:38 AM.
    03-09-11 09:36 AM
    I realise that I've been away a bit and haven't been on much, but where are actual reports, not speculation, of RIM having problems implementing QNX in the PlayBook?
    03-09-11 10:19 AM
    I realise that I've been away a bit and haven't been on much, but where are actual reports, not speculation, of RIM having problems implementing QNX in the PlayBook?
    Point taken. I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.

03-09-11 10:56 AM
    Yup, thanks. I thought I'd missed something. I've gone cross country three times in two weeks, so I'm a bit jetlagged.
    03-09-11 11:00 AM
    Yup, thanks. I thought I'd missed something. I've gone cross country three times in two weeks, so I'm a bit jetlagged.
    My point was that the speculation on how great it is going to be is also just speculation. It might be great and it could also be the next storm with 4.xxx.

03-09-11 11:07 AM
    I agree to a point. But to keep comparing an as yet realized product to space shuttle tech and medical devices seems to be a stretch. They all do very different things and it seems that so far rim is having some difficulty making it work on the Playbook. It is likely that they will face a similar challenge when they build a phone using qnx. No one really knows yet how well it work. I think that it will eventually be fine, but to have so many grandiose expectations seems a bit premature.

Well I must admit...my grandiose tone of QNX is based on my enthusiasm for the platform...and with that...RIM just has the potential to create a stunning platform...one thing I would like to research more in depth is RIM's vision for , so called "Pure communications" on hh's...that is interesting...

The one big mystery is how TAT will influence the user experience...I'm sure we have a lot of treats....especially since they will have development in not only hh's and tablet os...but vehicle ui's as well...

I'm also excited about the rumours of Rim supporting phython email 6 as the platform for email in qnx hh's...that I have to further investigate

Another missing link, is how harmon Kardon and RIM will work as partners and what plans they have as far as working togerher...it was mentioned in a press release in April 2010 that they plan to work together.

As well...RIM also mentioned other intelligent peripherals......so I'm curious to what's going on in the secert lab at qnx head quarters...a plan for world dominance? Lol....I'm sure there's some really cool products coming our way

One thing I do see being clear..is now that QNX has OS platform control...it will free Rim hq up to focus more on software development as well allow them to out source development to third parties.....I'm just pumped

rollingrock1988 likes this.
    03-09-11 11:23 AM
    I agree with a lot of this. Rim lost me as a customer and I want them to EARN my business back. I hope that they can make all of these things work, because if they can, we all win. I need a lot of features on my phone. I don't know how most of this stuff really works, but I can see the end result when it is done right. I hope that they can pull this off, but I also realize that they might not. We'll see.

03-09-11 11:43 AM
    My point was that the speculation on how great it is going to be is also just speculation. It might be great and it could also be the next storm with 4.xxx.

To a degree, you're right in that it is speculation to say that it will be great. We have been able to see it in action via several videos, and although nothing beats hands-on experience, I'm extremely happy with what I see.

I'm not one to use any of my devices as entertainment. However, my daughter just asked me to watch Twilight in the car. How she went from Squarepants Spongebob or whatever that thing is to wanting to know all about Rob Pattinson in the space of one week I'll never know, but now I'll have to start downloading movies on my devices. I expect that my lack of interest in huge screens or outrageous displays is about to end when I will have to accomodate my kids' interests. So whereas I was only interested in productivity I'll now have to be interested in other things that will mean a different set of specs on my devices. I suppose I'm about the enter the realm of omygodithastohavethelatestandgreatestdisplayandbeh ugeltyoverpowered devices.
    03-09-11 11:58 AM
    They do grow up fast.

03-09-11 12:07 PM

Sure, but if RIM tells QNX to retain the email truncation due to bandwidth issues, then it'll still be there.

Could they fix it? Sure. Will they fix it? Unknown.

It's a known bug that Calendar entries are sometimes deleted from Berries without notice. It's been known for multiple years and multiple devices. Could it be fixed? Sure. Has it been fixed? No. I'm not sure how RIM's implementation of QNX will change this, unless RIM wants it to.

It may be they have a huge laundry list of stuff they've always wanted to fix but the effort was too great as they were focusing on bigger issues. And it may be that they will take advantage of the QNX migration to bring out the laundry list and take care of these issues. But that may also not be the case.

No one knows. You may have the faith that RIM will fix issues. However, based on their track record I'm not so sure. I have little confidence in any company that rides on their "ultimate business device" reputation yet never fixes a known bug that randomly deletes Calendar entries.

Another way to look at it is evolution from the Storm (atrocious device/OS that should never have seen the light of day) to Storm 2 (semi-decent device that still should never have been sold - only released as a beta) to Torch (ok device that still needs work). Given they actually released the Storm, why should I have any faith they won't do the same sort of thing with their QNX devices?

I hope it's as you say, but I will wait and see and keep my expectations low so as to avoid disappointment. I prefer my cookie dough baked.

- R.
    03-09-11 01:46 PM
    Sure, but if RIM tells QNX to retain the email truncation due to bandwidth issues, then it'll still be there.

Could they fix it? Sure. Will they fix it? Unknown.

It's a known bug that Calendar entries are sometimes deleted from Berries without notice. It's been known for multiple years and multiple devices. Could it be fixed? Sure. Has it been fixed? No. I'm not sure how RIM's implementation of QNX will change this, unless RIM wants it to.

It may be they have a huge laundry list of stuff they've always wanted to fix but the effort was too great as they were focusing on bigger issues. And it may be that they will take advantage of the QNX migration to bring out the laundry list and take care of these issues. But that may also not be the case.

No one knows. You may have the faith that RIM will fix issues. However, based on their track record I'm not so sure. I have little confidence in any company that rides on their "ultimate business device" reputation yet never fixes a known bug that randomly deletes Calendar entries.

Another way to look at it is evolution from the Storm (atrocious device/OS that should never have seen the light of day) to Storm 2 (semi-decent device that still should never have been sold - only released as a beta) to Torch (ok device that still needs work). Given they actually released the Storm, why should I have any faith they won't do the same sort of thing with their QNX devices?

I hope it's as you say, but I will wait and see and keep my expectations low so as to avoid disappointment. I prefer my cookie dough baked.

- R.

I would like to know a progmaming ratio to man hours required to have the same conclusion with qnx as opposed to bbos ...I'm sure it's quite high...QNX is known for rapid turn around and deployment...that is their premier feature!

The sheer man hours that Rim willl save with programming ontop of QNX is gonna be huge!

That's why I see them saving an abundance of labour resources to better focus on development...with vastly superior programming platforms...just wait till distributed multi@rocessing is introduced...no one else in the industry does that

Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-09-11 at 02:06 PM.
    03-09-11 02:03 PM
    Another function I see helping the bb experience is in the servers BIS/NOC BES....they due have a wealth of knowledge working with Cisco on their servers....that is huge as well...imagine the push capabilities...

03-09-11 02:09 PM
    ...to Torch (ok device that still needs work).
    Name one device that doesn't 'still need work'. If you can, it must be perfect, and you should already own it, in which case it would make no sense to be here pontificating on the prospects of the creation of another device that doesn't need work. Otherwise, they ALL need work. Sorry, but this is just a dumb statement.

Give me what you think are the specs for your perfect phone, and I'll rattle off at least 5 reasons why I won't want it. Because what's perfect for you isn't perfect for me and at least 75% of other users. The closest thing out there to a single 'best' phone is Apple and a few versions of basically the iPhone, and that's a whopping 24.7% market share.

Whatever QNX ends up bringing to the table, the human factor in the equation ain't never gonna change.

Last edited by 18to12fitty; 03-09-11 at 02:22 PM.
    03-09-11 02:11 PM
    The torch and all bb are still held back by crappy bis restrictions. Until those go away RIMs "smartphones" will always lack in some important areas
    03-09-11 03:11 PM
    Name one device that doesn't 'still need work'. If you can, it must be perfect, and you should already own it, in which case it would make no sense to be here pontificating on the prospects of the creation of another device that doesn't need work. Otherwise, they ALL need work. Sorry, but this is just a dumb statement.

Give me what you think are the specs for your perfect phone, and I'll rattle off at least 5 reasons why I won't want it....

Torch = just released flagship device

Torch = still gives me spinning clock at least once or twice every couple of days
    Torch = still randomly deletes Calendar entries
    Torch = still randomly locks up and requires battery pulls, sometimes 1 in 2 weeks sometimes 2-3 in a single day

Any other questions???

My specs for a flagship device = fast, serious known bugs fixed, reliable.

Sorry for the high standards. Will be interested in your "5 reasons why I won't want it...." based on these.

Speaking of dumb statements and "pontificating" ...

- R.
    03-09-11 03:47 PM
    I've never had a calendar entry deleted, so i don't have that experience. I have a scheduled reset every morning at 3 a.m. so no lockups. And a random spinning clock couple of ti,es a week is no big deal.
    Happy BB owner here.
    *ALL* tech can be improved. Otherwise you'd stand still. Question is what is of value to a person. A spinning clock doesn't bother me. A phone that dies halfway through the day or that requires third party apps to handle email with the efficiency of my 9700 or even my Curve 3G bothers me. Different priorities. Damn I miss my Torch.
    03-09-11 05:01 PM
    Round and round we go!

03-09-11 05:38 PM
    Torch = just released flagship device

Torch = still gives me spinning clock at least once or twice every couple of days
    Torch = still randomly deletes Calendar entries
    Torch = still randomly locks up and requires battery pulls, sometimes 1 in 2 weeks sometimes 2-3 in a single day

Any other questions???

My specs for a flagship device = fast, serious known bugs fixed, reliable.

Sorry for the high standards. Will be interested in your "5 reasons why I won't want it...." based on these.

Speaking of dumb statements and "pontificating" ...

- R.
    Well, aside from the fact that some would argue the Bold is RIM's flagship phone (I've been spanked over that faux pas once) ...

Torch = have it, love it, hands-down the best phone I've ever owned.

I don't get spinning clocks.
    I've never had a calendar entry deleted that I didn't delete myself.
    Outside of removing apps or switching themes, in the six months I've owned the phone I've only had to do a battery pull once because it frooched out on me.
    It's quick enough for everything I need to do with it (which is not to say I wouldn't take a quicker one if they made it).
    I've seen one minor bug, and that was fixed with the second OS upgrade.
    This phone has been one of the most reliable I've owned ... easily more reliable than my wife's iPhone.
    It's also been one of the more durable. It's been dropped more than once with no ill affects, which is pretty good for a device with one half that slides apart from the other half. Drop an iPhone on anything harder than a couch cushion and see if it fares as well; I've lost count of the number if iP4 owners I know with shattered screens or backs.

So my phone meets your high standards and then some. No idea why yours doesn't.
    Is it perfect? Nope; but it's best option out there for my meager needs.

You think any Androids are bug-free? iPhones? Any phone? As bad as you say the Storm was, it wasn't pulled off the market three months after its release (Kin), and there are still a lot of users who really like it. Not saying it was God's gift to mobile communications, but it does have its share of satisfied users who would most likely not agree that it should never have been released. Still, the Storm was not one of RIM's better offerings. And it's a sure bet that the biggest reason we'll be waiting so long for a QNX-based handheld is to avoid any possibility of another such less-than-stellar product release.

Tag -- you're it.
    03-09-11 06:03 PM
    round and round we go!

posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
    03-09-11 06:03 PM
    I've never had the calendar entry deleted issue either. I do get the clock sometimes but only on OS 6. It doesn't bother me. In all fairness my 9700 is about 16 months old but I still haven't found the phone I want to replace it with...until the Bold Touch arrives that is.
    03-09-11 06:13 PM
    I would wager to say that those of you that have never had any data deleted from your phone by the OS itself, have probably not been BB users for a long time. Travel back in time to just a couple of years ago to the days of 4.2.x or early 4.5.x and you would have seen emails and old calendar entries deleted because the phone would run low (as in at 0) on memory and the OS needed to delete something to gain opperating room. It was a nightmare for a lot of people who didn't know what was going on. Do a search in the older 8k model forums and you'll find plenty of posts about it. Once the BB hardware moved to 128MB or higher and high 4.5 OS versions, this was done away with... mostly because RIM took that coding out of the later 4.5OS versions.
    03-09-11 08:41 PM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD