03-11-11 06:44 PM
93 123 ...
tools
    Read more: BlackBerry boss talks Playbook, QNX, BBM, NFC and future Blackberrys

BlackBerry boss talks NFC, Android, Apple and PlayBook - Pocket-lint

It answers a lot why they want to bring BBM on to other platforms, seem like they are gunning for a mobile social network via BBM. If provided as a free service on platforms BBM has an incredible potential interms of advertising and user mindshare like Facebook and Twitter.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-04-11 at 12:32 PM.
    03-04-11 12:24 PM
    And they all say RIM is sleeping.

Good article - thanks for posting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 12:51 PM
    Well, his statements are right along the same line as the things I want - communication, full web to include Flash, and not such a heavy reliance or emphasis on apps.
    App World works perfectly for me, I've accumulated a sum total of maybe 25 apps, and even those are not essential every single day. FB, banking, weather and navigation are the only things I'm on constantly. Out of my apps the only non-App World was GoogleMapps and Google mobile. Give me my communication, web, and I'm happy.

03-04-11 01:09 PM
    That's a very good interview to read. It gives insight to the game plan of RIM.
    NFC can generate lot of revenue for both RIM and for carriers in future.
    Idea of building BBM into a mobile social platform is challenging, but can be quite beneficial for RIM.
    RIM holds lot of IP. They have also acquired lot of companies like QNX, TAT, DataViz etc. All of these can generate lot of revenue in future for RIM.
    03-04-11 01:23 PM
    Qbnkelt, you might not feel the need for many great and high quality apps but you'd be in the minority. I want as many of those as possible. Do you guys honestly think if RIM were the leader in apps they'd still be spouting their anti-app nonsense (though they've toned it down recently)? No. They'd be talking about how super fantastic the app world is and all that.

Apps are great. They add functionality. They add fun. You might not want the added functionalities or the potential of a lot of fun but I do, and the majority as well. On the app store I go on and I see so many interesting things I'd like to try almost on a daily basis. On the BB side of things, the app world is like dropping something in a toilet. I know I need to get it out so I brace myself for the ugly adventure, I get in, get what I need and GTFO, it's not a delightful place full of interesting things that I want to visit. RIM might talk a big game like their low number isn't a big deal but you best believe they are lying. Why else would they offer a free playbook to those who get an app into the app world for the playbook. They want good apps and they want many.

As for the rest of the article, I really hope they're able to execute on their overall vision but it's a little hard to digest when I hear them talk about all these grand aspirations yet they still seem behind in terms of just about everything. They need to start talking less and start putting tangible things out there for people to use and experience. They've been ignoring most of their product lines to give all the attention to the release of their tablet yet the tablet still isn't here, and apparently won't be for another month. I just hope they take things one step at a time, you know. Once you have an idea just knock it out without all the bureaucracy and all that which comes with good ideas. Release the tablet, then release a new phone, then update the OS, etc...they need to create some sort of schedule or else they spend the majority of the year aimlessly floating in the ether while downplaying the competition and boasting about what they have coming.

I anxiously await the playbook as it will be the only tablet available on my network but I guess I wish they worked on their execution better. I know this seems like a rant, or like I'm ragging on them. But it's the first thing that comes to mind when I read an article where they talk about all these great things they want to do. Just wish they had more urgency is all.

Blackberry was a big part of my past and I'm just sitting here hoping, like the rest of you, that it's a big part of my future as well. Time to step it up. I guess it starts in April.

That came off like a giant blog post, I do that sometimes. DEAL WITH IT.
    03-04-11 01:29 PM
    Qbnkelt, you might not feel the need for many great and high quality apps but you'd be in the minority. I want as many of those as possible. Do you guys honestly think if RIM were the leader in apps they'd still be spouting their anti-app nonsense (though they've toned it down recently)? No. They'd be talking about how super fantastic the app world is and all that.

Apps are great. They add functionality. They add fun. You might not want the added functionalities or the potential of a lot of fun but I do, and the majority as well. On the app store I go on and I see so many interesting things I'd like to try almost on a daily basis. On the BB side of things, the app world is like dropping something in a toilet. I know I need to get it out so I brace myself for the ugly adventure, I get in, get what I need and GTFO, it's not a delightful place full of interesting things that I want to visit. RIM might talk a big game like their low number isn't a big deal but you best believe they are lying. Why else would they offer a free playbook to those who get an app into the app world for the playbook. They want good apps and they want many.

As for the rest of the article, I really hope they're able to execute on their overall vision but it's a little hard to digest when I hear them talk about all these grand aspirations yet they still seem behind in terms of just about everything. They need to start talking less and start putting tangible things out there for people to use and experience. They've been ignoring most of their product lines to give all the attention to the release of their tablet yet the tablet still isn't here, and apparently won't be for another month. I just hope they take things one step at a time, you know. Once you have an idea just knock it out without all the bureaucracy and all that which comes with good ideas. Release the tablet, then release a new phone, then update the OS, etc...they need to create some sort of schedule or else they spend the majority of the year aimlessly floating in the ether while downplaying the competition and boasting about what they have coming.

I anxiously await the playbook as it will be the only tablet available on my network but I guess I wish they worked on their execution better. I know this seems like a rant, or like I'm ragging on them. But it's the first thing that comes to mind when I read an article where they talk about all these great things they want to do. Just wish they had more urgency is all.

Blackberry was a big part of my past and I'm just sitting here hoping, like the rest of you, that it's a big part of my future as well. Time to step it up. I guess it starts in April.

I think you are exaggerating the app experience on BB and from my perspective the importance of apps. There are some good apps out there but there are more that simply alter the UI of what the web would have brought you. In my opinion that might make sense on a smart phone given it's size but makes less sense on a tablet with a full flash browser.
    03-04-11 01:35 PM
    I still disagree with RIM's stance on moving the phone back to just a basic communicator with talking, e-mail and text, and having the playbook support the rest. IMO, which is just what I would like to have is a phone that can do everything. It doesn't have to be up to par with the viewing experience that I have using a desktop or laptop, but I want a smartphone that improves on what I already have access too with my current model. I want more information, faster speeds, etc. I don't want to have to have a playbook(or other tablet) to do things that are already available on smartphones. I undertsand his point on the size of smartphones don't make for a great experience with certain aspects like viewing movies, certain games, etc, but that isn't what I personally want a phone for anyway. I want to have good call quality, good texting ability (sms, mms, bbm, etc), good e-mail ability, I want to have full internet access, and atleast some options for games, movies, music, etc.
    03-04-11 01:39 PM
    "We think that smartphones are a good size up to about 4-inches. The PlayBook’s 7-inch screen gives you the best mix between the two. Using WebWorks you’ll be able to develop for both OSes at the same time."

Thank god. Another reason why I like RIMs direction. I'm sure Apple feels the same way. Who wants a giant 4.3"-4.5" phone to carry around!? Even 4" might be pushing it. I'm glad they are sticking with 3.7" for the Monaco. I can't stress this enough.
    03-04-11 01:52 PM
    I think you are exaggerating the app experience on BB and from my perspective the importance of apps. There are some good apps out there but there are more that simply alter the UI of what the web would have brought you. In my opinion that might make sense on a smart phone given it's size but makes less sense on a tablet with a full flash browser.
    I was definitely being hyperbolic with the toilet example, lol. But comparatively it's pretty terrible compared to the app store. I'm not saying they should instantly become the app store, that's pretty much impossible to do for them with their current infrastructure and in such a short time frame.

Also I don't buy RIMs whole web > apps. That's just a ridiculous notion saying that the web can give you anything apps can, you know what people say that? People who haven't experienced TRULY great apps. And also it's the last thing I'd be touting when your web experience is pretty much last place in terms of competition.

My overall point wasn't that they should be more like someone else, I was just saying that they should focus less on the talkity talkity and more on execution for their consumers. They need to first focus on creating an appealing user experience for the average consumer and for the crackberry users alike, but most importantly they need to do it in a timely fashion. No more waiting half a year or longer for incremental upgrades whether it's a phone or an OS. Execution is a big deal. I don't expect them to execute like apple does but they certainly should be doing a lot better in that respect compared to now.

For a company that is seemingly so forward thinking, as you can see from this interview and from many leading up to it, it's a little weird that they are so far behind on everything. By everything I mean releasing hardware, releasing software, upgrading, etc...I hope after the playbook it's the start of a new era for them.

At least that's what I wish.

edit: I also very much agree with the 4 inch thing. RIM and Apple have that right. I see these 4.3 inch phones and find them flat out ridiculous. Alongside my blackberry I have a Nexus S which is 4 inches and I think that's the maximum acceptable high for me.
    03-04-11 01:55 PM
    Can you put an end to the rumours – Will you be able to run Android apps on BlackBerry?
    "We haven’t announced anything..."
    ("We aren’t commenting on that", says his PR guardian following our question based on the idea that the BlackBerry PlayBook to be Android appy?)
    "We aren’t even sure the video is kosher..."
    ("There is nothing to add", she reaffirms)
    "It’s a very exciting market...We are trying to keep our focus on what we are doing."
    hmmm lol

10char
    03-04-11 02:05 PM
    I still disagree with RIM's stance on moving the phone back to just a basic communicator with talking, e-mail and text, and having the playbook support the rest. IMO, which is just what I would like to have is a phone that can do everything. It doesn't have to be up to par with the viewing experience that I have using a desktop or laptop, but I want a smartphone that improves on what I already have access too with my current model. I want more information, faster speeds, etc. I don't want to have to have a playbook(or other tablet) to do things that are already available on smartphones. I undertsand his point on the size of smartphones don't make for a great experience with certain aspects like viewing movies, certain games, etc, but that isn't what I personally want a phone for anyway. I want to have good call quality, good texting ability (sms, mms, bbm, etc), good e-mail ability, I want to have full internet access, and atleast some options for games, movies, music, etc.
    I don't think you're going to see RIM going backwards with functionality in their phones - they know they can't do that and remain any kind of competitive. But I also don't think you're going to see them try to compete with the browsing and media capabilities of higher-end phones, either. I mean, look at the improvements in the OS6 browser over OS5; no, it's not the best on the market, but it's leaps and bounds better than it was. I think we'll continue to see those kinds of incremental improvements. You will see faster devices with better browsing and media. My take from those comments, they're never going to be looking to have the best at those things in their phones, but I'm pretty sure they'll be looking to be good at them. For some people, that won't be good enough; but for many of us, it will be.

03-04-11 02:43 PM
    Yeah I think you'll see future RIM devices with similar functionality to what they have now but with faster devices. At least lets all hope so
    03-04-11 03:30 PM
    I know that QNX is coming (but it won't be this year for handhelds)... and I may have skimmed too quickly, but I didn't see ANYTHING about the new OS6.1 devices (mainly the Monaco and the Bold Touch) and their release date.

My Storm2 is barely holding on, and I don't want to have to purchase a Bold for only 4 months... and I also don't want to use my insurance to get a new S2 because of hardware problems.

Any info on the devices??????
    03-04-11 03:46 PM
    I know that QNX is coming (but it won't be this year for handhelds)... and I may have skimmed too quickly, but I didn't see ANYTHING about the new OS6.1 devices (mainly the Monaco and the Bold Touch) and their release date.

My Storm2 is barely holding on, and I don't want to have to purchase a Bold for only 4 months... and I also don't want to use my insurance to get a new S2 because of hardware problems.

When any new info on new phones comes it out, it's always on the front page.
    03-04-11 04:49 PM

We don't know if QNX handsets are coming out any time soon. There is a belief that the new phones are coming out, the 6.1 phones are running on either a QNX kernel or something else that was created with direct input from QNX.

All rumor of course
    03-04-11 04:59 PM
    RIM has big plans that just take time to implement. As long as they deliver a solid messaging, email and social networking experience like they have been then I'm sticking on RIM's side. Very interesting read and good points were made. Thanks for the post!
    03-04-11 05:24 PM
    Qbnkelt, you might not feel the need for many great and high quality apps but you'd be in the minority. I want as many of those as possible.
    .....Snip....
    Apps are great. They add functionality. They add fun. You might not want the added functionalities or the potential of a lot of fun but I do, and the majority as well.
    ......Snip....

Wow....allrightythen....

As I sit here inhaling an order of stuffed potato skins at the Friday's at the Dallas airport, waiting to catch my next flight home, I remember what I wrote - I said that *I* agree with the article and that apps are not a big deal *to me.* I most decidedly am in the minority and not only does that not bother me, it also does not mean I have to be silent about it. My decisions are not based on what others do, but rather, what I want to do.
    So, let's see...
    I want high quality apps, and I find what I need. So I'm happy.
    I don't see apps as fun; to me they accomplish something. Like banking on the go. My fun time does not include my phone the majority of time. My travels and my work almost invariably mean constant use of the phone, so fun times it's at the bottom of my purse or somewhere around reach.
    Blackberries are a big part of the tools I use during the day to keep me connected, on track, effective. It was in my past, but it certainly wasn't a big part of my past, it's in my present but it is not a big part of my present, and it will remain in my future as long as it continues to keep me straight. It's just a tool.
    I have a husband, I'm a mum, I'm a dog trainer, I'm a horse trainer, I have a job, and an intense volunteer job. My BB assists me in managing all that. When I have fun I don't reach for my phone and launch an app.
    And I'm not sure why you chose to close your post with "DEAL WITH IT.". I won't do the same.
    Choose what you want and what works for you. I'll do the same.

Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-04-11 at 05:47 PM.
    stevejb likes this.
    03-04-11 05:42 PM
    Wow....allrightythen....

As I sit here inhaling an order of stuffed potato skins at the Friday's at the Dallas airport, waiting to catch my next flight home, I remember what I wrote - I said that *I* agree with the article and that apps are not a big deal *to me.* I most decidedly am in the minority and not only does that not bother me, it also does not mean I have to be silent about it. My decisions are not based on what others do, but rather, what I want to do.
    So, let's see...
    I want high quality apps, and I find what I need. So I'm happy.
    I don't see apps as fun; to me they accomplish something. Like banking on the go. My fun time does not include my phone the majority of time. My travels and my work almost invariably mean constant use of the phone, so fun times it's at the bottom of my purse or somewhere around reach.
    Blackberries are a big part of the tools I use during the day to keep me connected, on track, effective. It was in my past, but it certainly wasn't a big part of my past, it's in my present but it is not a big part of my present, and it will remain in my future as long as it continues to keep me straight. It's just a tool.
    I have a husband, I'm a mum, I'm a dog trainer, I'm a horse trainer, I have a job, and an intense volunteer job. My BB assists me in managing all that. When I have fun I don't reach for my phone and launch an app.
    And I'm not sure why you chose to close your post with "DEAL WITH IT.". I won't do the same.
    Choose what you want and what works for you. I'll do the same.

I really DO NOT think you are in the Minority, Apps are fun, yes, but to those who do not use their phones as entertainment devices, WHICH IS the Majority of users, apps are just a small part of the experience, I know a few app collectors who love the latest and greatest, but along the 3 primary industries I service which have age ranging from the 20 year olds, to 70 year olds, ALL using mobile phones, the vast majority of use is still communication centric, having the latest game, or image editing apps, even business card scanning apps never really stay relevant to the device after a short while.

I just had a customer show me her new iPhone 4 on Tuesday all proud, she asked why I didn't have one, when she saw the assortment of blackberry's on my centre console of my car, I showed her how I use spacebar to navigate emails, and press T to return to top, and asked her if she could do it as fast on her phone, I then said, "there is no app for that" and that right there put blackberry envy into her, it was communication speed. not apps.
    03-04-11 06:05 PM
    "We think that smartphones are a good size up to about 4-inches. The PlayBooks 7-inch screen gives you the best mix between the two. Using WebWorks youll be able to develop for both OSes at the same time."

Thank god. Another reason why I like RIMs direction. I'm sure Apple feels the same way. Who wants a giant 4.3"-4.5" phone to carry around!? Even 4" might be pushing it. I'm glad they are sticking with 3.7" for the Monaco. I can't stress this enough.
    I think there is room for the larger 4.3" phones particularly for a company that offers a range of phone and I would hope they came out with one like that when the time was right, but for me the time would only be right for me to get one if the increase in size also resulted in an increase in resolution as carrying a bulkier phone that still only had the same resolution as the 3.7" phone just seems odd to me.
    03-04-11 06:17 PM
    I really DO NOT think you are in the Minority, Apps are fun, yes, but to those who do not use their phones as entertainment devices, WHICH IS the Majority of users, apps are just a small part of the experience, I know a few app collectors who love the latest and greatest, but along the 3 primary industries I service which have age ranging from the 20 year olds, to 70 year olds, ALL using mobile phones, the vast majority of use is still communication centric, having the latest game, or image editing apps, even business card scanning apps never really stay relevant to the device after a short while.
    One thing I have found with my ipad is that while there are some apps that genuinely add new functionality they tend to be the exceptions while most seem to fall into one of three categories, there's the numerous webpage frontends, there are loads of games and there are ones that address fairly needless limitations in the functionality ios itself.

One thing that is quite disturbing to see with apple is this recent stuff about the subscription model and how it might be applied to things like ebooks, streaming services and the like, after having benefited so much from having them on the platform those changes could force them off diminishing ios greatly in the process.
    03-04-11 06:35 PM
    We don't know if QNX handsets are coming out any time soon. There is a belief that the new phones are coming out, the 6.1 phones are running on either a QNX kernel or something else that was created with direct input from QNX.

All rumor of course
    I wasn't really asking about the handhelds. I know that QNX handhelds won't be out before 2012, and I know all about 6.1 and the specs of the new devices.

I was more relaying my surprise, disappointment, and impatience regarding the fact that there was no new info about the new devices coming out; they weren't even mentioned...
    03-04-11 10:13 PM
    @deRusett, while I agree that there are some quick UI options in BB that can make navigation quicker, if she got BB envy from the space bar scrolling and T for top options, that's kind of lame. iOS already has an option in the browser to scroll all the way to the top quickly if you touch the top edge of the screen. They could easily do the same with the email client. And the scrolling on iOS is way faster than the Storms were and still faster than the Torch, so space barring it isn't all that necessary. I'm not making excuses, but to insist that BB is king of communication when it cannot render webpages properly, can't send large emails, can't render HTML email content properly, but it can T for top and space bar scroll is a bit of a joke.

I'd like to remind you how long it took RIM to come up with an OS that brought the simple task of allowing you to add a number from the call log to an existing contact or to build a new contact without that number dropping into the Work field without copy/paste of the info.
    03-04-11 10:39 PM
    @deRusett, while I agree that there are some quick UI options in BB that can make navigation quicker, if she got BB envy from the space bar scrolling and T for top options, that's kind of lame. iOS already has an option in the browser to scroll all the way to the top quickly if you touch the top edge of the screen. They could easily do the same with the email client. And the scrolling on iOS is way faster than the Storms were and still faster than the Torch, so space barring it isn't all that necessary. I'm not making excuses, but to insist that BB is king of communication when it cannot render webpages properly, can't send large emails, can't render HTML email content properly, but it can T for top and space bar scroll is a bit of a joke.

I'd like to remind you how long it took RIM to come up with an OS that brought the simple task of allowing you to add a number from the call log to an existing contact or to build a new contact without that number dropping into the Work field without copy/paste of the info.
    You know, you're a lot more fun when you're showing off your thigh holster.
    BlackStormRising and Machzy like this.
    03-04-11 11:30 PM

My Point was purely about apps, not being the end all be all, I agree there is much to be desired with the Blackberry, though personally I disable HTML emails anyway on my desktop email client, so that isn't something I personally care about, BB still is the fastest way for me to manage my email accounts, and navigate emails. He Envy was simply because her iphone was a work device, she needed it for managing 6 email addresses, and like me gets triple digit emails per day, so the seconds saved by scrolling pages with the spacebar then back to the top to remember who sent the email are very key features that I care about more than Apps.

as for RIM's contact management! it is pitiful, though EVERY smartphone has pitiful contact management
    03-04-11 11:44 PM
    That was a good interview, thanks. RIM should assign Bates to handle the media going forward.

Still, I'm having a hard time buying all that stuff. A recurring pattern is shifting questions about the competitiveness of current products to future or alternative ones.

That line would be more credible if RIM first put out competitive products, and then talked about its vision of carrying a tablet for media consumption and a communication-centric phone. In contrast, the first iPad had the same guts as the iPhone 4. Both wildly successful products.

As it is, I'm hearing an attempt to buy time and work around limitations. And from what I'm seeing and based on my personal experience, it really will be mostly about the phone, while the tablet stays in the bag or at home.
    03-05-11 12:52 AM
93 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD