Hello,
    I'm new to this website but i hope you can give me all the help that is required in order for me to fix the problem that is persisting. Unlike many of the threads i have read on here, i have an actual 'problem'.

I brought a fresh 8520 a few weeks ago after many arguments with my cousin over which i should buy: an iPhone (which, by the way is just a small iPad) or a BlackBerry... BlackBerry won.

Anyway, the software that was on it when i brought it was version 4.6, the typical software you would expect. It also come with BlackBerry Messenger version 4. Being a bit of a 'technical whiz' as my mother calls me, i decided to upgrade the phone software to version 5. (OS 5). However, this was the start of a very frustrating and annoying journey.

I downloaded the required OS 5 files and installed them in the appropriate way, after backing up all of my files from a handy little program i got from the app store. However, i still had the old version of BBM, so decided to download the newest version, which, if my memory serves me is version 5.2.

I downloaded it, and according to my phone, it was 'installed correctly and is ready to use'.

As i started to fiddle around with the new up-to-date software, i soon realised that there was no BBM. I couldn't find it anywhere. It was as if my BBM had simply... vanished. Although BlackBerry Messenger was on my applications list is my phone settings, it was not in the contents.

I started to change things to try and get it to appear, but without much success. By then my only option was to downgrade back to version 4 (which, if anyone with a bb knows, is rather bland).

I currently am running version 4, but rather want version 5.

If ANYONE has ANY help whatsoever that they can give me, please do. It will be appreciated to the highest extent.

Thank you.
    Sam.
    09-03-10 07:02 PM
    Welcome to the forums.

Hello,
    I'm new to this website but i hope you can give me all the help that is required in order for me to fix the problem that is persisting. Unlike many of the threads i have read on here, i have an actual 'problem'.

I brought a fresh 8520 a few weeks ago after many arguments with my cousin over which i should buy: an iPhone (which, by the way is just a small iPad) or a BlackBerry... BlackBerry won.

Actually, the iPad is a grown up iPhone... Which is a grown up iPod Touch.. Hmm... So the iPad is nothing but a giant iPod!

Anyway, the software that was on it when i brought it was version 4.6, the typical software you would expect. It also come with BlackBerry Messenger version 4. Being a bit of a 'technical whiz' as my mother calls me, i decided to upgrade the phone software to version 5. (OS 5). However, this was the start of a very frustrating and annoying journey.

I downloaded the required OS 5 files and installed them in the appropriate way, after backing up all of my files from a handy little program i got from the app store. However, i still had the old version of BBM, so decided to download the newest version, which, if my memory serves me is version 5.2.

Latest BBM is 5.0.1.36. You made a backup using an app? I'd suggest you use Desktop Manager from now on.

I downloaded it, and according to my phone, it was 'installed correctly and is ready to use'.

As i started to fiddle around with the new up-to-date software, i soon realised that there was no BBM. I couldn't find it anywhere. It was as if my BBM had simply... vanished. Although BlackBerry Messenger was on my applications list is my phone settings, it was not in the contents.

Did you try a battery pull? If you had and it is still not showing, sad news: Gonna take a downgrade back to 4.6 then an upgrade back to 5.0 (AT&T and TMO have .822 and it seems to run smoth, I'd go for that one).

I started to change things to try and get it to appear, but without much success. By then my only option was to downgrade back to version 4 (which, if anyone with a bb knows, is rather bland).

I currently am running version 4, but rather want version 5.

If ANYONE has ANY help whatsoever that they can give me, please do. It will be appreciated to the highest extent.

Thank you.
    Sam.
    It seems you are already half way done with the solution. Do a factory reset, then update to 5.0. Once you get it running, use AppWorld to download BBM.

Then all you gotta do is load your backups and apps back.

Good luck!
    09-03-10 07:35 PM
    Had the same issues a while back. Deleted the app all together then did a fresh install again. That did the trick for me.
    09-03-10 07:41 PM
    When I updated my OS, the plain 5.0 version of BBM was on there. An upgrade is available on App World. So, even if you can't find it, you should be able to install/upgrade it from App World.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-10 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD