I lost my BlackBerry Bold 9000 phone. What I have now is the SD card.

In this card I can view 11meg files on "backup" folder. There are 2 kind of file extensions :
    -BBM-(09-12-16-10-18).bak.rem
    -BBM-BBG-(09-12-16).con.rem

I wanted to get all the possible informations from this SD card. BBM contacts etc, if possible.

I've searched the internet, about how to open .rem files (encrypted files), by assigning the encryption mode to "none", then copy the files to another folder.

Unfortunately, I tried this in another Bold (not mine, since it is lost). The message is "Decryption header error" or something like that. The new Bold 9000 cannot decrypt my files.

Then I try 9000 Bold simulator. I enter my original 9000 pin to the simulator setting. Still got the same message about decrypting error.

Can somebody help me, how can I make use of those files left in my SD card? How can I decrypt those .rem files, so I can retrive my BBM informations?
    07-26-10 10:07 AM
    Anybody can help? I really need those informations.
    07-26-10 08:43 PM
    Those are encrypted files that will only be able to unencrypted using the device that encrypted them. They are useless to you in your new berry.
    07-26-10 09:00 PM
    Is it possible to decrypt those files using BlackBerry simulator? If possible, how? I've entered the original PIN to the simulator, but not working. In the simulator, the PIN is prefixed with 0x......, is this the problem?

Is the encryption/decryption system in a blackberrry is PIN# dependant? What makes these files cannot be decrypted in a new berry, is it the different PIN# that makes different encryption/decryption system for each berry?
    Last edited by liquidcoolant; 07-26-10 at 09:26 PM.
    07-26-10 09:19 PM
    You will need the original BB as it contains the original seed used to encrypt the files. Those files are gone now. You cannot open them or decrypt them without the original seed.
    07-26-10 09:36 PM
    Thanks for the explenation. So the encryption/decryption is not PIN# dependant, but "seed" dependant. What is "seed"?

The files I got in my backup is about 11meg. Here are some examples :
    -BBM-(09-12-16-10-18).bak.rem = 2,040kb
    -BBM-(09-12-18-22-01).bak.rem = 36kb
    -BBM-(10-02-03-16-40).bak.rem = 36kb
    -BBM-BBG-(09-12-16).con.rem = 2,063kb

As you can see, there are 2 files that are about 2mb. What information are contained in these 2 big files?
    The rest are about 36kb, but many of them. All makes 11mB folder.

I wonder, in 11mB folder, are there only BBM contacts can be retrieved, or all the BBM conversations also can be retrieved? 11mB seems to big, if the information is only BBM contacts only.
    07-27-10 12:11 AM
    each of those files are just updates of your bbm list. not sure why it ballooned to 2 megs tho. suspect it has to do with msg history.

u only need to access one of those files for your list. not all 4.

did u solve your problem yet?
    07-19-11 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD