For you touch screen users who dont want to make switch because of BBM, android now has BBM that works with blackberrys and vice versa!

LiveProfile — Stay Connected — BlackBerry Messenger Alternative

Edit: BB and Iphone coming soon according to website
    Last edited by henry_hill_3; 11-05-10 at 10:10 PM.
    11-05-10 10:00 PM
    Its not BBM. Read "alternative".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 10:28 PM
    ^ don't forget the "ALTERNATIVE"
    BBM is really nothing special... compared to other IM clients/ yahoo messenger/ google talk etc etc.
    it's the Exclusivity to Blackberry owners that make it special plus the PRIVACY that it offers
    Last edited by mark_rivers19; 11-05-10 at 10:50 PM.
    11-05-10 10:45 PM
    ^ don't forget the "ALTERNATIVE"
    BBM is really nothing special... compared to other IM clients/ yahoo messenger/ google talk etc etc.
    it's the Exclusivity to Blackberry owners that make it special plus the PRIVACY that it offers
    Well, if you're just using it to chat, that is pretty much a decent way to look at it. But I send and share files rather frequently, and YM tends to not be very friendly for such purposes many times, so there is that to consider also. But I use YM to stay in touch with my non-BB family, and BBM for the many friends I've made here. And with a number of groups, that works out nicely.

11-05-10 11:16 PM
    Precisely. If you're using it just to chat, there are plenty of other alternatives that work just as well if not better. However, sending files is pretty much painless on BBM.
    11-06-10 11:00 AM
    I think that is pretty much the case. It's a blackberry community exclusive. If you're a huge fan of blackberries, you are garaunteed that whoever you are talking to has a blackberry and is on it. I think it would lost nearly all of it's shine for bb users if it were a public domain IM and anybody could use it.

I admit guilt to enjoying it for that very reason. Outside of that, there really isn't any feature that is especially outstanding about it that puts it way above most other IM's. Perhaps some of the push/near instant aspects of it and a few other blackberry integrated functions (calendar sharing, etc) makes it appealing too.
    11-06-10 04:08 PM
    Android is jus the first to have Live Profile. blackberry and all other platforms will be Included soon.

That being said, if Live Profile works well with sharing pictures or files between different platforms then it may be worth a look. If it doesn then it will just be added to the large pile of non Blackberry Messenger chat program. None of them will be an "alternative" to Blackberry Messenger.

Blackberry Messenger is one of the main reasons I have a BB in the first place. Security, easy of use, voice clips that aol work well.

Mike

11-06-10 06:43 PM
    if you really need bbm on another device you shouldn't be switching platforms
    11-07-10 04:41 PM
    well, it depends on how much the need outweighs other requirements.
    11-07-10 05:21 PM
    There are three top reasons I went with a BB Storm last year:

1) very bright screen

2) Surepress

3) BBM

If/when I switch to another platform, I'll definitely miss 2 & 3. I hope by the time I switch, item number one will no longer be an issue.
    11-07-10 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD