I just got my new 9700, have everything set, but my contacts won't auto restore...

I click restore contact list

then restore using email

it says I have configured remote back-up

How do I get my contacts???
    11-23-09 01:47 PM
    did you set bbm on your old phone to perform auto backups of your contact list? If so you could have a backup file on your memory card. That's how I got my contacts back since my-email accounts hadn't been registered with my new phone yet.
    11-23-09 02:02 PM
    Where can I find that file on the memory card??? I did have everything backed up...
    11-23-09 02:04 PM
    You go to "restore contacts" in the BBM menu.....and keep clicking the "Up" folder until you can choose Media Card or Device Memory.......click Media Card.....then BlackBerry......then "im" ....then BlackBerry Messenger.....and click the name of the backup file you want to restore. I switch a lot between my 8900, 9000 and now 9700, and I find it easier to use the remote back up feature. Where the contacts come to whichever BB I'm using. The whole process is kind of tedious and annoying but BBM is worth the little hassle haha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 04:28 PM
    I don't seem to have a "Blackberry Messenger" folder there... I tried remote back-up but I didn't get the email correct... Now I have to remove/re-install the BMM program, right?
    11-23-09 04:33 PM
    The folder is created when you back up the contact list on your old BlackBerry, saving the list to the memory card. So if you haven't done that yet, there won't be any BlackBerry folder for you to choose. But once you store the contacts to your media card, when you pop the memory card into your new BlackBerry and repeat the process I told you about, it should show up and you should be able to select it.

11-23-09 04:39 PM
    1st you need to install the new version of bbm from app world and make sure the email address you used is active on your bb. That should take care of it
    11-23-09 04:47 PM
    Isn't there only 1 new version of the official BBM (not the leaked ones from the summer)? I'm guessing the o.p. already has it if he's able to use any of the back up/restore functionality? I could be wrong though.

11-23-09 04:49 PM
    the issue was I have five different emails, and can't remember which one i used to back-up on the network...
    11-23-09 04:51 PM
    Just so long as they're all now linked to your current blackberry, the e-mail recovery should work. It works kind of like ...pinging a server. The e-mail is sent to your phone (using whichever e-mail address you originally used), and if your phone recognizes that the e-mail is linked to your phone, the recovery process starts automatically.

11-23-09 04:58 PM
    When I restored my old 9000 a few weeks ago, it worked beautifully, but now the 9700 will only restore itself, it sends the email, but the contacts are blank... I must have screwed it up.

I wonder if there is a file on my Desktop Manager software somewhere I can access???
    11-23-09 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD