03-21-11 01:16 PM
95 1234
tools
    i can most people hacking and think coding and code cracking... the BB is only as secure as the user holding the device. and that applies to every phone. in on a BB transfer between BES and BIS is pretty secure. BUT data sitting on a BB device and any backups are not all that secure. Anyone with basic computer knowledge and understanding on how data is stored can retrieve the data.
    Okay, then hack my device. Then hack my backups. My device is encrypted and my backups are stored on an encrypted volume as are most of my sensitive information.
    03-11-11 11:29 PM
    Okay, then hack my device. Then hack my backups. My device is encrypted and my backups are stored on an encrypted volume as are most of my sensitive information.
    i'd take up that challenge if we were in the same state. i'm pretty confident that I could. seriously the BB data is not all as secure and more people would like to think. I was able to obtain access to my own data off my 9700 which was encrypted with password... If your data is not stored on the protect servers of a fortune 500 company then I have a 90% chance of gaining access.

More than likely you have a Windows computer, weak security. A windows password can be bypassed in 5mins. Your BB probably has a memory card. Put your phone down for 10-15mins and walk away.

I'm surprised that no one has ever wrote an article showing the security holes on the BB. And I'll state again RIM servers/firewalls "secure", BES/BIS data moving between "secure", your BB data sitting on a Fortune 500 company server "secure". F500 company's are used as an example only cause I've seen a lot of small and regular size business networks with crappy security. Security where if you know how to remove a proxy or windows group access you can bypass all settings.

BB is only as secure as its user. which makes makes it just like any other mobile device.
    K Bear likes this.
    03-11-11 11:54 PM
    i'd take up that challenge if we were in the same state. i'm pretty confident that I could. seriously the BB data is not all as secure and more people would like to think. I was able to obtain access to my own data off my 9700 which was encrypted with password... If your data is not stored on the protect servers of a fortune 500 company then I have a 90% chance of gaining access.

More than likely you have a Windows computer, weak security. A windows password can be bypassed in 5mins. Your BB probably has a memory card. Put your phone down for 10-15mins and walk away.

I'm surprised that no one has ever wrote an article showing the security holes on the BB. And I'll state again RIM servers/firewalls "secure", BES/BIS data moving between "secure", your BB data sitting on a Fortune 500 company server "secure". F500 company's are used as an example only cause I've seen a lot of small and regular size business networks with crappy security. Security where if you know how to remove a proxy or windows group access you can bypass all settings.

BB is only as secure as its user. which makes makes it just like any other mobile device.
    Lol, what? Put your phone down for 10-15 minutes and walk away? are you crazy? lol
    03-12-11 02:15 AM
    Reading more threads like this....makes me miss a simple life.

Some of ya are like woah....take some deep breathes....in and out, in and out.

Maybe it will be a nice day for a walk...

I would be if I wasn't stuck at work, lol! For realz though, some of ya are way over on your gadgets!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-11 07:36 AM
    Biggest question about this is: Was the hacked blackberry password locked?

And if your data is important enough you would use encryption, bis or bes.

This will not matter with a browser hack.
    03-12-11 09:36 AM

Some people overestimate their own abilities and underestimate others.

03-12-11 12:10 PM
    Some people overestimate their own abilities and underestimate others.

Some people over compensate for things that don't superficially seem to be lacking.
    03-12-11 03:00 PM
    And there's no such thing as perfect impenetrable source code. And those who say so, obviously know sh!t about programming and software engineering.
    Last edited by gbsn; 03-12-11 at 04:19 PM.
    K Bear and Culex316 like this.
    03-12-11 04:11 PM
    The fact is, I have friends who could most likely hack even the most secure BES in a matter of days... I'm sorry, but nothing is impenetrable, and I could easily see the OS5 browser get hacked too... If it's powered by an operating system, it can be hacked. Simple as.
    03-12-11 05:03 PM
    Some people over compensate for things that don't superficially seem to be lacking.
    +1 absolutely correct.

03-12-11 05:11 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, the phones were tethered as well. I'm no hacker, but it seems to me that having a device tethered would be a LOT different than trying to do something OTA, no? Also, nobody at the conference even bothered with the Win7 phone and one of the others. Not sure if that meant it was too hard or way too easy.
    03-12-11 06:20 PM
    To the poster who said anything could be hacked...

With hacking, music can take control of your car | ITworld
    03-12-11 09:04 PM
    There is no such thing as a more secure platform. I'm glad the BB elitist can also realize that BBOS isn't as secure as they claim.
    03-12-11 09:46 PM
    The BBOS is a heck of a lot more secure than iphone "loyalists" can say their phone is. The vulnerability still only exists where the webkit is installed. OS 5 and 4 do not have this vulnerability.
    03-12-11 10:28 PM
    WebKit is APPLE technology, so I wouldn't say BB OS isn't secure. It's apples webkit that isn't secure.
    03-12-11 10:28 PM
    Just as thyth built his own blackberry decompiler and figured out the algorithm to unlock the engineering screen, and the so called "dr.bolsen" publicly released a pseudo decompiler, while another person released a patch to make it work, because "bolsen" reserved for himself his own working version I assume, anybody with enough time and patience can do much more. Who knows what else is out there that hasn't been made public probably because of economic, moral and legal reasons. Its not always that you can just give away a decompiler, so a bunch of kids can get workable java bytecode or high level code to start copying apps, it would practically fuk up an entire platform. As I said again, there's no such thing as the perfect source code. It may be hard, it may take time, but its possible. Obviously the bbos is more secure than the ios, but its still not perfect and can be cracked. And it doesn't matter how many times people cry and say it is secure, its still possible.

Last edited by gbsn; 03-12-11 at 11:38 PM.
    03-12-11 11:25 PM
    I'll admit that it's disappointing that BBOS got hacked, but it's not surprising that the only way they could do this was through WebKit, which was integrated into the OS and not built from the ground up for security.
    With QNX the WebKit code can be easily sandboxed, so I believe that the QNX Blackberrys will not be vulnerable to a WebKit attack.
    03-14-11 04:22 PM
    I'll admit that it's disappointing that BBOS got hacked, but it's not surprising that the only way they could do this was through WebKit, which was integrated into the OS and not built from the ground up for security.
    With QNX the WebKit code can be easily sandboxed, so I believe that the QNX Blackberrys will not be vulnerable to a WebKit attack.
    If it has a browser, it's vulnerable to attack.
    howarmat likes this.
    03-14-11 07:23 PM
    My question, what do you have that's so important?

Hack my phone, you'll get pictures of some tata's, my junk email, and some contacts that I could care less if you have. That's it.
    03-16-11 10:13 AM
    My question, what do you have that's so important?

Hack my phone, you'll get pictures of some tata's, my junk email, and some contacts that I could care less if you have. That's it.
    Actually very little but that's not the point.

03-16-11 11:17 AM
    Look, the fact that a BlackBerry was hacked by some Professional Hackers is Cute. It still remains that nobody on this board is going to get hacked by a professional hacker anytime soon.

This was a nice story. I think it's exciting. It already lead to RIM working on a fix (and giving odd advice...turn of Java...really RIM?). The funny thing is this: This is one of the few times we can count that a BlackBerry was Hacked.

Apple Phones get Jailbroken constantly, Google phones are rooted everyday, yet BlackBerry devices are free from such violations. That should be noted because the BlackBerry platform has been reliable.

03-16-11 11:39 AM
    Apple Phones get Jailbroken constantly, Google phones are rooted everyday, yet BlackBerry devices are free from such violations. That should be noted because the BlackBerry platform has been reliable.

So are you saying because users can root/jailbreak their own phones, iPhones and Android devices are automatically less reliable?
    03-16-11 01:45 PM
    Look, the fact that a BlackBerry was hacked by some Professional Hackers is Cute. It still remains that nobody on this board is going to get hacked by a professional hacker anytime soon.

This was a nice story. I think it's exciting. It already lead to RIM working on a fix (and giving odd advice...turn of Java...really RIM?). The funny thing is this: This is one of the few times we can count that a BlackBerry was Hacked.

Because no one really cares enough to.
    03-16-11 02:05 PM
    So are you saying because users can root/jailbreak their own phones, iPhones and Android devices are automatically less reliable?
    Not less reliable, Incapable. The people designed their software to perform functions within their parameters. The main point of having an OS is to utilize the Resources of a Hardware efficiently and to protect itself (both Software & Hardware) from attack.

The fact that they can be completely removed and circumvented shows they failed at the tasked they started: Protect Yourself.

As far as caring, I think that you mean unable. It's not been done and if it has, it's been kept secret. The fact that it hasn't been done is more of a reference to the fact that it's difficult, not that they lack the interest.

Edit: I've stirred up the Hornets Nest now.

Last edited by CranBerry413; 03-16-11 at 03:14 PM.
    03-16-11 03:04 PM
    Not less reliable, Incapable. The people designed their software to perform a functions within their parameters. The main point of having an OS is to utilize the Resources of a Hardware efficiently and to protect itself (both Software & Hardware) from attack.
    So now the devices are incapable? What?

And your second part of the posts was directed at me, but I think you meant to direct it at someone else.
    03-16-11 03:11 PM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD