03-21-11 01:16 PM
95 123 ...
tools
    Hackers Exploit BlackBerry 6 WebKit Browser – Steal Contacts and Images! - BerryReview

Patiently waiting on i7guy and others to come in here and make excuses, but I'm not posting this to rub it in anyone's face. I've been saying for a while that when hackers care enough, they'll prevail with a certain platform. BB and PB will become real popular once QNX is full blown and more so now that the browser in OS6+ is better than it's ever been. Case in point, more hacks will come out because more people will be poking at it. RIM will patch them and round and round we'll all go.

All I want out of this is for people who love BB to just sit back and realize that we all love mobile technology out there, regardless of platform. Some of us like to criticize more because we know these companies can do better than they currently are. The issue has always been that a lot of you don't view it as this. You view it as someone hating on your stuff and you have to blindly defend it no matter what.

Let's just bring equality to all platforms and realize that they all have their faults and weaknesses. Just because someone's not found them yet doesn't mean they don't exist yet. But the moral of the story is, don't toot your horn too loudly because one day someone's going to crash your party and you're going to be left looking like a dumbass for blindly believing the hype.
    foysyl likes this.
    03-10-11 10:36 PM
    One of these days, the hackers are going to turn their attention on Apple in a big way. Apple is getting way to smug. When it happens Apple will fall, and fall hard.
    03-10-11 10:54 PM
    OMGZ!!!! RIM device got hacked??? It can't be, RIM is a god in security and acid browser tests. They are the best in the whole wide worldz!!!!
    reeneebob likes this.
    03-10-11 11:08 PM
    When the Hacker whas interviewed it was actually because of Apple that they were able to Hack RIM. the used Apple documentation for the webkit browser to exploit the RIM Browser.

RIM was a little to smug about this, THEY REALLY need to step up their security, they need to fine tune their permission levels/settings for apps, including internal apps like the browser. Though I am not overly phased by the Hack, I still feel RIM should be addressing this with a more serious nature than it appears to be,
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    03-10-11 11:08 PM
    And exactly what do you want me to say. That's its about time some real vulnerability was found in rim software.

And if the phone was setup to with encryption what would have been the outcome?

One vulnerability vs the combined hundreds in android and ios in essentially third party software.

Seems like a decent horn to toot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by i7guy; 03-10-11 at 11:20 PM.
    03-10-11 11:17 PM
    One of these days, the hackers are going to turn their attention on Apple in a big way. Apple is getting way to smug. When it happens Apple will fall, and fall hard.
    Oh, no doubt. I hope it happens because I'm tired of the little Apple fanboys running around saying if you use a Mac you won't be hacked like you can if you're using Windows. I'm so tired of that crap.
    03-10-11 11:41 PM
    And exactly what do you want me to say. That's its about time some real vulnerability was found in rim software.

And if the phone was setup to with encryption what would have been the outcome?

One vulnerability vs the combined hundreds in android and ios in essentially third party software.

Seems like a decent horn to toot.

Well, it's not Apple's or Google's fault their platforms have been more feature-rich than RIM's. Basically, RIM's security blanket up to now was secrecy and the fact that no one wanted to hack a Speak-N-Spell. Lol

Seriously though, if you think about it, RIM's biggest security weakness is the knowledge their employees have. It would only take one high level employee with vast knowledge into the designs of these systems and subsystems they have and all **** would break loose. I think the hacker said it right when he said that it's hard to hack something you don't have some knowledge about. Also, with RIM's OS structure, it makes it a bit harder to snoop around as well to see what's going on. Why do you think RIM was so quick to search out and take down any place that was dishing out the low level toolkit that leaked like a year ago?
    K Bear and Totalimmortal363 like this.
    03-10-11 11:51 PM
    LOL , Apple's safari hacked in 5 seconds, nothing could be more embarrassing for a company who is developing software for the last 30 years and has some deep pockets.

Safari/MacBook first to fall at Pwn2Own 2011 | ZDNet
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-11-11 at 12:31 AM.
    03-11-11 12:14 AM
    Five seconds. Wow.

03-11-11 12:26 AM
    Hackers Exploit BlackBerry 6 WebKit Browser – Steal Contacts and Images! - BerryReview

Patiently waiting on i7guy and others to come in here and make excuses, but I'm not posting this to rub it in anyone's face...
    Of course you're not.
    Interesting how you gloss over references to Pwn2Own when i7guy pointed out how quickly your precious iPwn was first to be hacked for the win. I think you referred to it as an annual hack fest.
    But now you're gleefully quoting the article in detail when the BB finally got hacked due to a Apple based browser.

Keep it coming
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    03-11-11 01:03 AM
    Biggest question about this is: Was the hacked blackberry password locked?

And if your data is important enough you would use encryption, bis or bes.

03-11-11 01:20 AM
    When I read about this on my rss feed reader I instantly thought to myself JRSccivic would be starting a thread about it. Good to see you were able to resist the urge of rubbing it in people's face though.

03-11-11 08:27 AM
    Well, it's not Apple's or Google's fault their platforms have been more feature-rich than RIM's. Basically, RIM's security blanket up to now was secrecy and the fact that no one wanted to hack a Speak-N-Spell. Lol

Seriously though, if you think about it, RIM's biggest security weakness is the knowledge their employees have. It would only take one high level employee with vast knowledge into the designs of these systems and subsystems they have and all **** would break loose. I think the hacker said it right when he said that it's hard to hack something you don't have some knowledge about. Also, with RIM's OS structure, it makes it a bit harder to snoop around as well to see what's going on. Why do you think RIM was so quick to search out and take down any place that was dishing out the low level toolkit that leaked like a year ago?
    Being feature rich does not justify the amount of security holes in the software.

But you're right, industrial esponiage is a very dangerous thing to companies. Key people holding key information regarding, processes, customers, infrastructure or whatever.

Think about what could happen to IOS if some key information were to "hit the 'net".

Of course industrial esponiage is not legal and most likely the FBI would get involved in such a hypothetical case involving RIM as you described and IOS as I described.
    Last edited by i7guy; 03-11-11 at 09:03 AM.
    03-11-11 09:00 AM
    OSX and Safari got hacked the previous day of the contest in 5 seconds. The iphone also went down. Webkit just isnt a very secure browser it seems.

At the end of the day its not a big deal, since nothing is 100% secure. It becomes a HUGE deal if it takes RIM months to patch it. Already talked about this in the post on the main page, it's going to be interesting to see how RIM handles this. Will they push out a patch or will they include it in an os upgrade that will depend on when carriers decide to release it?
    03-11-11 09:03 AM
    Biggest question about this is: Was the hacked blackberry password locked?

And if your data is important enough you would use encryption, bis or bes.

They had full access to the phone.
    03-11-11 09:10 AM
    Being feature rich does not justify the amount of security holes in the software.
    True, but feature-rich is what brings in the finders. It's like honey. No one wants to hack a pos.
    03-11-11 09:56 AM
    Of course you're not.
    Interesting how you gloss over references to Pwn2Own when i7guy pointed out how quickly your precious iPwn was first to be hacked for the win. I think you referred to it as an annual hack fest.
    But now you're gleefully quoting the article in detail when the BB finally got hacked due to a Apple based browser.

Keep it coming
    Same browser base code on both platforms. While it wasn't discussed how long it took for the BB to fall, logic would dictate that a possible similar scenario exists. Both browsers are based on WebKit.... and from what I read, it made it seem like full blown Safari was the one that went down in 5 seconds. Either way, it doesn't matter as both a Mac and iOS uses the browser, but IE also went down. I and many others use these browsers every day without issues.... I think in the end, it won't matter much for either platform as long as you don't have a stupid user behind the wheel.
    03-11-11 10:00 AM
    True, but feature-rich is what brings in the finders. It's like honey. No one wants to hack a pos.
    I disagree these POS phones as you put it probably have a treasure trove of info useful to criminals. Nobody can hack these phones is more likely.

03-11-11 11:10 AM
    Hackers and people that write viurs/malware are going to do it and focus on whatever is on the most systems people own and use. There isn't much worth going after an OS that is only on 2% of systems world wide. Why do you thing windows has the most.
    Totalimmortal363 likes this.
    03-11-11 11:21 AM
    LOL , Apple's safari hacked in 5 seconds, nothing could be more embarrassing for a company who is developing software for the last 30 years and has some deep pockets.

Safari/MacBook first to fall at Pwn2Own 2011 | ZDNet
    I'll get to this post in a second but first I just want to say that this topic is a tad funny for multiple reasons but I'll say the main one. I fully agree with the OP that platform equality is what should be promoted. For instance I'm a tech fan, I love whatever is good. If I hate on something it's because it's only because it's not nearly as good as it could be. With that said I like how that's basically the message of the OP and then right away the first reply is a post calling Apple smug (lol wut?), no one is falling hard. And then there is this post I quoted which clearly spins the article to make Apple look bad.

I think to myself, 5 seconds to hack something? That's impossible, so I click and low and behold I was right. It turns out it took them plenty of work to create what was necessary. They even described it as being quite difficult. The only thing that took 5 seconds was when they actually ran what they had built before, not the whole thing itself. lol such a ridiculous spin and now people read your post and are misinformed and agreeing with you like "wow 5 seconds that's turrible!!!". Anyway just saying, try reading things first.

As for this main topic, webkit definitely has some holes but it's also the most viable platform for a lot of different devices. Just because a bunch of pros can hack a webkit browser at a special tournament/contest I wouldn't exactly call that a big reason for concern, in fact I'm glad if they are hacked anywhere it will be there because it is done without malicious intent and can then be fixed once they explain how they did it. Same goes for RIM, these guys are pros and it's better they do than anyone else, and this is where I agree with jasonvw when he said that the important part is if it gets fixed fast enough which is where RIM has to step up, and lets face it, they are notoriously late doing just about everything there is to do in the industry these days. Hopefully they do though.
    03-11-11 11:33 AM
    ^^^^ Another smart person joins CB. Welcome!!!
    03-11-11 02:13 PM
    I'll get to this post in a second but first I just want to say that this topic is a tad funny for multiple reasons but I'll say the main one. I fully agree with the OP that platform equality is what should be promoted. For instance I'm a tech fan, I love whatever is good. If I hate on something it's because it's only because it's not nearly as good as it could be. With that said I like how that's basically the message of the OP and then right away the first reply is a post calling Apple smug (lol wut?), no one is falling hard. And then there is this post I quoted which clearly spins the article to make Apple look bad.

I think to myself, 5 seconds to hack something? That's impossible, so I click and low and behold I was right. It turns out it took them plenty of work to create what was necessary. They even described it as being quite difficult. The only thing that took 5 seconds was when they actually ran what they had built before, not the whole thing itself. lol such a ridiculous spin and now people read your post and are misinformed and agreeing with you like "wow 5 seconds that's turrible!!!". Anyway just saying, try reading things first.

As for this main topic, webkit definitely has some holes but it's also the most viable platform for a lot of different devices. Just because a bunch of pros can hack a webkit browser at a special tournament/contest I wouldn't exactly call that a big reason for concern, in fact I'm glad if they are hacked anywhere it will be there because it is done without malicious intent and can then be fixed once they explain how they did it. Same goes for RIM, these guys are pros and it's better they do than anyone else, and this is where I agree with jasonvw when he said that the important part is if it gets fixed fast enough which is where RIM has to step up, and lets face it, they are notoriously late doing just about everything there is to do in the industry these days. Hopefully they do though.
    When I read that, I had to read it like Cleveland (The Cleveland Show) with you putting that 'u' instead of 'e'. It made me laugh.

Aside from that, I fully agree with you.
    03-11-11 05:41 PM
    When I read that, I had to read it like Cleveland (The Cleveland Show) with you putting that 'u' instead of 'e'. It made me laugh.

Aside from that, I fully agree with you.
    And boom, there goes the dynamite.

03-11-11 06:04 PM
    Apple products get hacked almost daily. Hello the iphone4 was hacked/jailbroken in like 24-48hrs.

The claim of the BB being the most secure device is the biggest bunch of BS. if they're so secure why don't they encrypt backups. forget stealing someone device you have every single email, contact, bbm chat, text, pic, mms,...etc in your backup and it takes literal 2mins to gain access to all that info in a viewable way.
    03-11-11 11:12 PM
    I disagree these POS phones as you put it probably have a treasure trove of info useful to criminals. Nobody can hack these phones is more likely.

i can most people hacking and think coding and code cracking... the BB is only as secure as the user holding the device. and that applies to every phone. in on a BB transfer between BES and BIS is pretty secure. BUT data sitting on a BB device and any backups are not all that secure. Anyone with basic computer knowledge and understanding on how data is stored can retrieve the data.
    03-11-11 11:23 PM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD