I'm looking for a way to sync my Google Apps Calendar with my phone.

I have...

A Pearl Flip 8220
    T-Mobile
    WiFi
    No data plan

Is there a way?

At this point, you're asking, why doesn't this guy just fork over the cash and get a data plan? I hear you. Here's why. I currently have all the email connectivity I want, and I don't need or even want it on my phone. Same for the web. All I care about is having my calendar and my contacts with me when I go somewhere. And for that I don't wish to pay T-Mobile $300/year.

For those of you who are still reading, here's what I'm considering. Sync Google Calendar with Outlook. Sync Outlook with BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Sync phone via USB. I don't like it. I'm not even sure it will work. I know you have a better way!

Thanks!

Jonathan
    02-19-09 02:33 PM
    have you tried this?
    Google Mobile - Sync
    02-19-09 05:29 PM
    I'm looking for a way to sync my Google Apps Calendar with my phone.

I have...

A Pearl Flip 8220
    T-Mobile
    WiFi
    No data plan

Is there a way?

At this point, you're asking, why doesn't this guy just fork over the cash and get a data plan? I hear you. Here's why. I currently have all the email connectivity I want, and I don't need or even want it on my phone. Same for the web. All I care about is having my calendar and my contacts with me when I go somewhere. And for that I don't wish to pay T-Mobile $300/year.

For those of you who are still reading, here's what I'm considering. Sync Google Calendar with Outlook. Sync Outlook with BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Sync phone via USB. I don't like it. I'm not even sure it will work. I know you have a better way!

Thanks!

Jonathan
    The google apps don't work via wifi yet, so... You have two options, and you already know them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 05:52 PM
    I've downloaded Google Sync on my BB, and it doesn't work. I get a generic 'Network Error' message when I try to log in. This is either because it doesn't work over WiFi, it doesn't work without a data plan, or it requires the Premier edition of Google Apps ($50/yr per user).

Jonathan
    02-19-09 06:11 PM
    I'm in the exact same situation. I really hope Google releases a version of their mobile products that supports wifi soon... it really isn't too difficult... there's a link I would post but it won't let me (google "Google Mobile Help sync via wifi" and it's the first link)

The only other thing I haven't checked out yet is Funambol with ScheduleWorld... the new beta version of their PIM sync client for BlackBerry supports wifi syncing with a Funambol server. I'm trying to run my own Funambol server but I haven't figured out how to get that to sync with Google Calendar... but ScheduleWorld seems to circumvent this. It's worth a try? If anyone else has any ideas I would appreciate it...
    02-20-09 03:19 PM
    I got something to work rather well. PrimoSync, an open-source Google Calendar synchronization program that seems to have ceased development, does not natively have wifi support but it is very easy to modify it to use only wifi (by appending the special wifi connection string in the only two connection functions). I have done this and recompiled it and it works like a charm It'll run in the background and autosync. PM me if you want the binaries.
    02-26-09 11:21 PM
    Great Job Kepreon

I really wanted to try out your version of Primo sync, but this system (Crackberry) won't let me PM you unless I have made 10 posts

Do I really have to post 10 messages before this system will let me PM
    03-09-09 08:27 PM
    Kepron,

Nice job on figuring it out. I also can not PM you...

Can you help me out?
    03-14-09 02:27 PM
    Yeah, I can't PM either... it's kind of ridiculous. I'll just post it here I guess, but I'm changing the link from my personal server to a public one which doesn't support directory browsing, so you can't view the source and changes (sorry).

[edit: I can't actually post a link either. sorry, but you'll have to translate the one mentioned here, "colon" = :, "slash" = /] My OTA download for the modified PrimoSync is at http colon slash slash dl.getdropbox.com slash u slash 426213 slash primosync slash output slash PrimoSync.jad. All I modified is two of the connection classes to append the string ";deviceside=true;interface=wifi" to the end of all the URLs, so it will ONLY use wifi at this point. I also added a pretty calendar icon I found on the Internet.

It seems to be a little quirky... it's not tightly bound to the phone so it asks for permission before doing pretty much everything and I haven't figured out how to get it to autosync regularly without having to press okay each time... enabling the firewall helps get past some of the Internet prompts but not the "modifying personal data" ones. I will try and figure out a way around this and let you know if I fix it, but I'm happy to get it to sync at all even if it's not fully automatic.

Let me know if you have any trouble, though any questions besides wifi not working should probably be directed at the original creators (Google "PrimoSync" -- I can't post links)

Kevin
    03-20-09 12:02 AM
    First of all, thanks to kepreon for the primosync tweak! Definitely makes life easier.

However, recently I've been unable to upload calendar events TO my gcal. Has anyone else been having this problem? I come across the following error message:

ERR: (500) Internal Server Errors
    Failed Google Update: java.lang.NullPointerException

Anyone else have this problem?
    06-03-09 09:59 PM
    First of all, thanks to kepreon for the primosync tweak! Definitely makes life easier.

However, recently I've been unable to upload calendar events TO my gcal. Has anyone else been having this problem? I come across the following error message:

ERR: (500) Internal Server Errors
    Failed Google Update: java.lang.NullPointerException

Anyone else have this problem?
    I was having the same problem and now it won't sync at all

Not sure what happened

>>> This is the error I am getting Issue 8 - primosync - Cannot sync - Exception error - Google Code

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the problem appeared to be related to the uploading of events from the BB, i unchecked Uploads on the Options and now it allows me to Download events. So you'll be able to download events from GCal but not upload events from the BB. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by BlackPearl890; 06-09-09 at 09:47 AM.
    06-09-09 09:15 AM
    This is working for me! The guy that posted the app just made my day .
    07-13-09 01:15 AM
    when i tried installing it it said 907 invalid COD file not found... what do i do to fix this?
    07-14-09 11:51 PM
    my calendar download for primosync works fine...but for some reason my upload doesn't work... i'm using blackberry 8900... help someone.
    08-02-09 08:36 PM
    Tried today and worked like a charm. Thanks! Wolf.
    11-07-09 01:31 PM
    i still get the java.lang.nullpointerexception after turning the upload off. I have 8320 with OS 4.5. Can anyone help me to get it work? thansk!!
    01-09-10 05:06 AM
    Has anyone worked out a way round Primosync to synchronise both ways not just download from gcalc. I think the guy who tweaked this is a genius as I was none to please when I realised g sync didnt work via wi fi and today he mad my day, but to have it sync both ways would be bliss. Cheers again whoever you are much appreciated
    01-10-10 04:03 PM
    I got something to work rather well. PrimoSync, an open-source Google Calendar synchronization program that seems to have ceased development, does not natively have wifi support but it is very easy to modify it to use only wifi (by appending the special wifi connection string in the only two connection functions). I have done this and recompiled it and it works like a charm It'll run in the background and autosync. PM me if you want the binaries.
    Does this sync all your Google Calendars, or just your main one?
    01-12-10 09:50 AM
    hey im just curious does this thing check your phone calender and sync that over too? like does it do a both-ways sync?
    01-31-10 08:52 PM
    I'm getting lots of errors on OS 5 with the modified primosync and have only got it to sync a couple of events without it gettings errors. Anyone had any success on the newer OS builds?
    03-14-10 10:53 PM
    Sorry to revive a dead topic, but Google Sync just came out with a new version (0.7.2) that works over wifi! I'm removing my copy of Primosync and suggest you use it instead. It syncs both contacts and calendar.
    03-26-10 11:32 AM
    The new version of sync works not through wi-fi, but through EDGE/3G. However, it works without a data plan. This is interesting. I do not have a data plan but have a BB Feature Enabler (free) with T-Mobile. And my calendar and contacts sync with Google every 2 hours automatically and I am not charged for it. Pretty cool! T-Mobile shows those data transfers but indicate that I have unlimited data quota. All other internet apps don't work though.
    05-05-10 02:15 PM
    The new version of sync works not through wi-fi, but through EDGE/3G.
    Wow...you're right!!! I just tried this after turning off my Wifi and it still updates.
    05-05-10 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD